Must see places in Japan?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by wicket, May 26, 2008.

1. wicket

wicket Member

Heading for Tokyo

Any must see places that you can recommend while we're there? :)

2. barns

barns Member

1) Shibuya and Harajuku for shopping. If possible, go to Harajuku on a Sunday. That's when the Japanese sub-culture personalities come out. And don't afraid to take their picture, they'll politely oblige as long as you ask properly.

2) Akihabara to satisfy gear lust.

3) Kamakura, if visiting temples is your thing.

4) Minato Mirai 21

3. waks13

waks13 Active Member

Must see in Japan ? I definitely wanna see and try soapland.. :)

4. Charlie

Charlie Beyond The Box/DW/Digital Hub

Apple Store in Ginza

Shopping areas:
    Roppongi Hills
    Omotesando
    Akihabara
    Shibuya and Harujuku Area
    Ikebukuro - 2 of Tokyo's biggest Dept Stores is located here ( Seibu and Tobu)

Japan Chain stores:
    Tokyu Hands - Big DIY and hobby store ( I can stay here the whole day)
    Bic Camera and Yodobashi - Giant Electronic Department Stores with many branches around Japan
    Uniqlo - Japan's version of Giordano but much much better and bigger :)
    Muji

Food:
    Bikuri Donkey - Popular Hamburger Steak Restaurant
    Ramen - everywhere in Japan
    C & C Curry Shop
    Matsuya

Things to see:
    Tsukiji Fish Market
    Harujuku during Sundays for Cosplay

Have a nice time in Japan, I really miss the place :)

#4 Charlie, May 26, 2008
    Last edited: May 26, 2008
  5. raw_knee

raw_knee Member

In addition to that, you might want to go to Tokyo Tower.

Shinjuku has small area near the train station that has a lot of stores selling cameras.

You might also want to go to Disneyland and Disney Sea, that's just a train ride away from Tokyo (train) station. :)

6. tonito

tonito Member

Info here is great... will also visit Tokyo in June. Thanks everyone.

7. batotoy

batotoy Member

In addition, Disney Land and Disney Sea is also a great place to visit. There are also lots of park that you can roam around. Ueno park, Odaiba park, etc. Sayang at tapos na ang Sakura season (cherry blossom season). Sarap mamasyal sa mga park 'pag ganitong season. Umuulan ng bulaklak. Medyo mainit na ang weather ngayon dito. Start na kasi ng summer. Anyway, I'm sure you will enjoy your stay here.

And yeah, if you are gadget freak, Akihabara is the place to be. I can stay whole day roaming around this area.

8. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

Watch a Japanese Professional Baseball game. Not only is it fun, it's a great experience (especially if you've been to one in the US)

If at all possible spend a night or two at a traiditional ryokan (inn/bed and breakfast) outside of town. I stayed at one in Kyoto once a few years back. Great food & a great view of the city & surrounding area.

9. audionookie

audionookie Member

Ahh.. Tokyo..

Would recommend to you the following..

Visit Asakusa Temple, Ueno Park, Imperial Palace Plaza, Odaiba District..

Shopping districts would be

Akihabara - Gadgets Galore!
    Roppongi - Beware of South African guys asking you if you want chicks ;)
    Shinjuku - Ala Greenhills type, lots of stalls there

Recommend you to :
    1.) visit Tokyo Disneyland.. A must visit attraction..
    2.) ride their famous Bullet train!! I think it's average speed is 240kph!

Cheers!

10. wicket

wicket Member

Great guys! will keep all these in places to see when we get there!

11. Tantantiniiin

Tantantiniiin Active Member

Visit the Studio Ghibli / Miyazaki Park where you will see most, if not all of Hayao Miyazaki's creation in one big garden - especially the Metal Giant from Laputa

12. kaotep

kaotep Active Member

a must try: ichiran ramen at ueno station :D

ericb likes this.
  13. wicket

wicket Member

where in tokyo can one find mario bros toys? My son really likes them kasi :)

14. Linus

Linus Member

What area/neighborhood is a best to Stay for a first-timer family visit to Tokyo?

I will be going there in October with my wife and our 1yr.3 mos. (then) baby. Would like to go to the DIsneys as well- necessary to stay at a Disney hotel with an infant along?

Would the JR be too crowded to bring an infant even when it's not rush hour?

15. execute

execute Member

I've always wanted to go to Japan. How many days should a vacation in Japan be? When's the best time?

16. maria

maria Member

In addition to all the great suggestions, try to see some kabuki. to see the whole preformance would be a bit expensive, so buy the tourist tickets they have, for just one act. I'm not sure if the ticket purchasing rules are still the same, but Kabuki-Za in Ginza has good shows.

On a sunday after Harajuku madness, the cosplayers are usually by the bridge near Yoyogi park so make sure you have a stroll around the area, it's amazing. It's possible to do Omotesando and Harajuku in one go, plus the park.

In Roppongi there's Mori Art Museum- good shows and an area near the top floors with a viewing deck, for the city panorama.

There's really so much to see and do, so make sure you always have a map and a list of places to visit within a day, all ideally in close proximity to each other so you don't tire yourself out zigzagging across the city. Some train stations don't have english translations but don't be shy, ask, the Japanese are very polite and will always try to help.

Shopping is great, pricey, but if I were in your shoes I would shop for kitchen stuff,
    japanese cooking knives in particular.

If you have more than a week, plan a side trip. Kyoto is a must.

17. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

The best time to go to Japan is April, when the cherry blossoms first bloom. That's about right now. A good trip would be to chase them from south to north. They'll bloom first in the south, say start at Osaka, then up to Kyoto, then Tokyo. If that takes you a week or two you'll see them at their best.

Know that I do not care about flowers, and yet I say this.

If you have friends in Japan, and they have time to take you around, that would be great. Yes you can see Japan on a tour, or on your own (better) but having a local take you around is best -- more than in any other country, I would say. And if that friend is an epicure, multiply your enjoyment by 10.

A few tips:
    - Try to find "ancient" restos, meaning those that have mastered the art of cooking for more than 100 years and specialize in only one dish (say, sushi only or tempura only).
    - Try to get out of the big cities if you can and sample "rural" Japan
    - Try to mix the ancient and the modern. For the ancient, there are streets in Japan (Kyoto esp.) which can make you feel you're still in the 16th century. For modern, go where young Japan congregates on a Friday or Saturday evening. Shibuya is one.
    - Try not to leave Japan without seeing Kyoto.

18. Linus

Linus Member

I've had several recommendations to go to Kyoto now. Is it day-trippable from TOkyo?

How crowded is the JR/other subway lines? Ok for a 1 year old? Where would be a good neighborhood to stay as a base for travelling?

Thanks for the tons of great suggestions!

19. Lakan

Lakan Member

Kyoto, the old capital and the old palace, is really nice. Hiroshima is another great place to see.
    You can go almost anywhere in mainland and be back in Tokyo at night because of the Shinkansen train which runs so fast. You just have to check the trip schedule. Overnight in Kyoto will be nice too. And it's cheaper than Tokyo.

20. Nicky

Nicky Member

We did do a Tokyo-Kyoto-Tokyo day trip by car. 12 hour drive one-way. Spent 30 mins in Kyoto, just at the Golden Pavilion. Drove back another 12 hours back to Tokyo. Probably not advisable if you have a 1 year old, so the bullet train is your best bet.

The trains are generally okay, just not during the morning rush hour, about 6-8 a.m. There isn't exactly an afternoon rush hour when the trains are full.