Mid 2011 iMac and Apple replacement program

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Otakumouse, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Otakumouse

Otakumouse New Member

Hi Guys, a couple of days ago, while working on something very important for my clients, my iMac suddenly died > < I basically described my problem here on my blog: (How to backup files in a non-booting Mac computer) and also posted a tutorial on how you can backup your files in a non-booting imac using unix. The issue i have is 100% similar to this guy: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4825519?start=15&tstart=0 and was fixed by replacing the video card.

To cut the story short, my imac just suddenly crashed and upon rebooting, displays these weird vertical green lines. It will also just stay on the initial boot screen and will not even boot on safe mode. My initial diagnosis was it's my video card since my display is all messed up. Apple actually released an official statement about having a "recall" for the said video cards and imacs purchased between May 2011 and October 2012: iMac (27-inch): AMD Radeon 6970M Video Card Replacement Program. Purchased mine August 2011 so it's eligible for the program.

Turned it in for repairs at Beyond The Box (Digital Hub - Viramall). After roughly 1 week of waiting, engineers called me and they told me i need to replace the LOGIC BOARD. I'm very disappointed with the guy on the phone because they didn't even check the other components like the HDD and the video card. LOGIC BOARD agad! I was like "what?!", how come you're telling me that it's really the logic board when you didn't even check the other hardware components.

Then they told me, "Sige sir, we will diagnose and check your video card if it's really the problem" which made me more disappointed. My imac is already 1 week at your shop :( How come ngayon nyo lang checheck yung video card? Anyway, they're still checking my video card as of this afternoon and I'll be waiting for their updates. I'm actually starting to lose trust with these guys :( Will keep you guys posted!

PS: and sorry for the rant :(

2. Otakumouse

Otakumouse New Member

Just got an update from the guys @ Beyond the Box (Digital Hub - Viramall). My imac's video card failed their diagnostic tests. Will wait for 10 more days before the newly ordered video card comes in. Hope it's really the video card. Will keep this post updated!

3. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

ok I'm abit confused... afaik imac's video card are soldered into the logic board so replacing the video card is basically replacing the whole logic board.

4. Otakumouse

Otakumouse New Member

@sir mark: not really sure sir when it comes to the process of replacing the video card. But accdg to apple's official announcement last month: "If the iMac (27-inch) meets these requirements, Apple will replace the video card free of charge for three years after the first retail sale of the computer." iMac (27-inch): AMD Radeon 6970M Video Card Replacement Program

So maybe the video card is indeed replaceable on this mid 2011 imacs? Really clueless :p

5. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

i stand-corrected, the video card chip is removable for this iMac model... saw the tear-down guide at ifixit. goodluck on the repair!

6. Otakumouse

Otakumouse New Member

Thanks much sir! I will keep this thread posted just in case someone also experience the same problem. Guys at Beyond the Box (Digital Hub - Viramall) are now more accommodating. Was just really disappointed earlier when they just jumped into conclusion that the logic board was the problem without even checking the other hardware components of my iMac - and we all know the price of the logic board is not a joke.

It's now a waiting game for me and I really hope it gets fixed asap :)