Microsoft Surface Book 2

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by JMacalinao, Oct 17, 2017.

1. JMacalinao

JMacalinao Active Member

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/17...ice-release-date-specs-availability-processor

TLDR: Same design, but with new size (15") to go along with the 13"; Intel i5 7th or i7 8th-gen U processors (quad-core Surface finally!); GTX 1050 2GB on high-end 13", 1060 6GB on 15"; USB-C replaces DisplayPort, capable of data transfer and charging (not Thunderbolt though); larger batteries

I sold my Surface Book just a month ago to buy a 15-inch MacBook Pro, and then this showed up... :cry: Hahaha

#1 JMacalinao, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    Anmi, hitme64 and raypin like this.
  2. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...lol....15 incher. VR ready...augmented reality......wait......10,000 dollars ba?

2499 for the 15 inch.

#2 raypin, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    Sunil_K likes this.
  3. raypin

#3 raypin, Oct 18, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    hitme64 likes this.
  4. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Isn't the new MS Surface Pro (called that instead of Pro 4) VR-capable? There's an app in MS 10 for that but haven't tried it yet much less opened it...

FWIW I always liked the Book but its prohibitive price gets me back...and its heftier than the Pro...

raypin likes this.
  5. chocoholicmom

chocoholicmom Member

well, it seems that the new surface book is not that much bigger than the macbook pro... but it can have a discrete gpu (on the i7 config), sd card reader and 2 full size usb ports..

apple should really up their specs game in the next update of their macbook pros next year, to be competitive ;)

Surface Book 2 13.5”

i7 quad-core, 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2GB GDDR5 RAM) - 2499 usd
    12.3” x 9.14” x 0.59”-0.90” (312 mm x 232 mm x 15 mm-23 mm); Starting at 3.62 lbs (1,642 g)

MacBook Pro 13.3"

i7 dual-core, 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 - 2499 usd
    11.97" x 8.36" x 0.59" (304.1 mm x 212.4 mm x 14.9 mm); 3.02 lbs (1,370 g)

6. raypin

Mm...

I am very sure my mid-tier PC gaming rig can handle WMR. All I need is one of the new VR sets from Microsoft's hardware partner. I am still holding out for MSFT's very own, the Hololens.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/collections/vrandmixedrealityheadsets

Speaking of VR in general, I am hoping that Apple will eventually release its own take on VR and/or AR (Augmented reality). I will not be surprised if Apple releases an iAR headset and motion controllers to work with iOS and another version for MacOS.

In the meantime, of the 3 OS, only Windows 10 is fully capable of the full VR/AR experience because of the hefty hardware requirements. Android is woefully lacking since it powers mainly portable devices. The workaround? A fully independent Android VR/AR headset and/or one tethered to a powerful ChromeBook (not the shitty stuff they are now peddling).

While Samsung's VR Gear (which is Android) works, the VR experience is strictly, shall we say, entry level. I've tried it extensively.

#6 raypin, Oct 18, 2017
    hitme64 likes this.
  7. Edelheid

Edelheid PhilMUG Addict Member

Now that's a beefy laptop. While there's no denying that the Surface Book is among the best looking Windows laptops, the aesthetic of it is still 50/50 to me; in the same vein it could very well be one of those things that you need to see in person to actually appreciate. Nonetheless, this does seem to have a good chance of becoming part of my top picks if I weren't already heavily (and still happily) invested in macOS.

Days like this makes me happy seeing other manufacturers bring out great products. This way Apple can't afford to just rest on its laurels.

Anmi and hitme64 like this.
  8. raypin

Mm..hefty indeed but, by definition, a 15" laptop will always be hefty. You always trade off weight and size for power and longer battery life. If Microsoft's claim of 17 hours battery life is validated, the heftiness is well worth it.

My wish list is a true bezel-less 15" laptop without compromising power, battery life and a high def display (at least 1440p).

#8 raypin, Oct 18, 2017