Major League Baseball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by greta87, Sep 15, 2009.

1. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

^yeah, 3-1 thanks for reminding :)

And I was cheering for the Yankees when they were up 3-0 against Boston ;)

rbenzon and courtside3 like this.
  2. courtside3

courtside3 PhilMUG Addict Member

You’re right. The Boss would have challenged, and emphatically!

Girardi has developed a rep as a well-prepared manager. The problem is that he sticks to his script to a fault, even as today’s game requires unconventional — even controversial — methods. It’s why the likes of Francona and Maddon have thrived of late.

In any case, the Yankees are said to be ahead of schedule. The future is bright, Girardi notwithstanding.

rbenzon likes this.
  3. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Thanks too, but I don't think I'll ever forget that. So believe me, I know how you felt, even if our collapse wasn't in the WS. :D
    Cleveland is due, especially since they probably won't get a ring this year from the Cavs. :D

Indeed. Doubt the young and more congenial Steinbrenners will ditch Joe, anyway. But glad to see the farm finally bearing fruits, vis-a-vis The Boss's throw-money-at-the-problem, like it's Wall Street.

Regardless, I enjoyed this season. Come to think of it now, back in the early days of the last dynasty, I had to wait for ESPN coverage on PH cable, well, because my Internet then was 56 kbps! :) Now, it's on-demand and on fiber too. Good thing the future is bright, unless you're a Knicks fan. ;)

courtside3 and SE20 like this.
  4. SE20

Props to NYY, man, that bullpen... arrrgh... murderous

courtside3 and rbenzon like this.
  5. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

They were—during the wild card game. Yesterday, they were throwing on fumes, eventually burned by Joe.

My meditation practice keeps me cool in traffic, but Joe made me lose it. Haha.

courtside3 and SE20 like this.
  6. courtside3

You know the one other bullpen that’s, in your words “... arrrgh ... murderous”? The Indians’. And you have Francona. So argument over. :)

And needlessly, too. Sabathia was in control, but pulled out after five and a third — just because Girardi “prepared” and had a “plan” that he could not — or, rather, refused — to veer from.

SE20 and rbenzon like this.
  7. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Player management is one thing; managers make decisions, but players still need to execute. It's hard to argue that the Torreyes recklessness should've been pinned on Joe. But not challenging the foul tip was purely a managerial call.

I wouldn't have been able to sleep, had I not owned up to that inexcusable mistake—which is probably what made Joe finally admit: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/07/sports/baseball/yankees-joe-girardi-cleveland-indians.html

Good thing I too am traveling on team travel day. Too beat up to beat myself up. ;)

IMG_2433.jpg

greta87 and courtside3 like this.
  8. courtside3

The Yankees win Game Three 1-0. Wow. I figure the Bombers to be better suited for high-scoring matches, but, hey, a win is a win.

Incidentally, the last time the Yankees won a contest 1-0 off a single home run? Game Three of the 2001 ALDS, where they were also winless after two outings, and where they then took Games Four and Five to complete a remarkable comeback. Perhaps a portent of things to come.

Aroldis Chapman looked spent, though. In one and two-thirds innings, he threw 34 pitches, only four of which were sliders. The rest, including the last 12, were fastballs, with not a single one under 100 mph. The bad news for Yankees fans: He doesn't pitch as well on a day's rest. The good news: The forecast calls for rain, which may yet lead to a postponement of Game Four.

The struggle continues.

SE20 likes this.
  9. SE20

What helped is that the Tribe was tight. They kept swinging at pitches thrown outside the strike zone. Even if they did have those high-profile hits from the previous two games, their batters have generally underperformed.

courtside3 likes this.
  10. courtside3

Yes, they did -- first the low ones, and then, particularly in the eighth and ninth, the high ones. As armchair pundits like to say, closeout games are always the hardest to win.

Re: the Indians' inability to perform to potential, pressure of expectations, perhaps. Assuming they advance to the ALCS as projected, however, they'll have more games to settle down. Superior teams are generally less prone to upsets in best-of-seven affairs.

SE20 likes this.
  11. SE20

#KluberGaveUpTwoHomeRunsToTheSameBatter

#AndHesInTheRunningForCY

#PostseasonIsADifferentGame

#HeMayHaveBeenPlayingHurtButWhyWasHePitching

#BecauseClevelandSports

#AndBesidesTitoOwesTheYankeesAKarmicDebt

#TheresNoCryingInBaseball

12. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Tito didn't owe the Yankees karmic debt. The baseball gods merely corrected Game 2's incorrectly called HBP.

Had this ALDS win been against the Red Sox, I would've gloated ;) but the Indians had a remarkable regular season. So tip of the cap to them.

You were a good sport though, @SE20. Can I buy you an LP in Tokyo? :)

SE20 likes this.
  13. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

after that 13 pitch at bat of Gardner & the single that drove in a run ( & another one on an error), I am so glad that the yanks didnt trade him. over the years, Gardner has been the subject of so many trade rumors, it's become tradition already. He & CC are the only remnants of the 2009 title team for the yanks. So I was very happy for him that he played a crucial role in today's win... helping run out Kluber & then adding on to the yankees lead in the 9th.. ON to the ALCS, I have a good feeling about the yankees chances... there's really no pressure on them to win anything.. theyve been the underdogs the entire season, so any win in this post season is a plus... although I am looking forward to a WS between the Yankees and the Cubs or Dodgers.. that would be an instant classic.. :)

courtside3, SE20 and rbenzon like this.
  14. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^Not once did I think of trading Gardner, although I can understand why others did. He isn't the greatest of hitters, but base stealers like him are opportunists; they add a hustle vibe to the team, which is an important intangible. And that last at-bat was a grit hit! :)

I too liked our chances. Mid-season, amidst a series of injuries, I sensed that if everyone got healthy in time, they had a reasonable chance to upset. But given their youth and mostly pre-arb salaries—which probably helped them stay loose—I also did not expect much. So the rest is gravy. But I wouldn't mind if the next game's a Gray V. :)

greta87 likes this.
  15. SE20

Hey, what a generous gesture. I should be honorable and accept :)

Good luck on the rest of the postseason. I would happily celebrate a Yankees win.

rbenzon likes this.
  16. SE20

I was following the game on my phone, refreshing it every two seconds and, yeah, what an at-bat and what a battle. After so many foul balls I was hoping to see a final strike but, no, the score changed. And then changed again.

greta87 likes this.
  17. jbfirefly

jbfirefly Active Member

I was also following the game on my phone at work and was really amazed with the foul after foul at-bat. Then it happened.

18. Jess

Jess Well-Known Member

epic game between cubs and nats!

19. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

You know you're a fan when you get up at 3am for a game. :)

Ironman ALCS.jpeg

Bonus: Red Bull live stream of the Ironman World Championships in Hawaii!

jbfirefly and bowser like this.
  20. jbfirefly

jbfirefly Active Member

Thanks for the heads up on Ironman Kona! Watching both na too.