Major League Baseball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by greta87, Sep 15, 2009.

1. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

I tip my Yankee cap to a long-time rival and nemesis, David "Big Papi" Ortiz, whose number was retired by Boston recently.

Even last year, his last season at age 41, his numbers did not clamor for retirement: 317 BA, 38 HRs, 127 RBI!

I still hate the Sox—and all Boston/New England teams. :D But as a fan of the game, much respect to a first-ballot HOFer.

Pedro Martinez pens a nice tribute article: https://theplayerstribune.com/pedro-martinez-david-ortiz-number-retirement/

greta87 and courtside3 like this.
  2. courtside3

courtside3 PhilMUG Addict Member

Ortiz deserves all the accolades coming his way. Big-time gamer who repeatedly rose to the occasion.

Like a Yankee we know (let's call him A-Rod), he, too, was embroiled in the 'roids scandal. Unlike the Yankee we know, he was never proven to have "cheated," quotes intended.

A definite Hall of Famer in any case. I may be in the minority, but I prefer to judge players by the numbers they produced on the field. Cooperatown is littered with so many shady characters that injecting morality in the discussion smacks of hypocrisy.

3. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

We are in the minority, indeed. The majority's self-righteous masturbation blind them from marveling at the greats, such as (OT) Lebron. I am no 'Bron fan, but greatness cannot be denied by a PR faux pas and/or futile GOAT debates.

Back to baseball, another 'roid-diminished legend is Barry Bonds. The only hitter who had a better career WAR was The Babe. Just for size, Bonds had a WAR of 162. Babe's was 183. And of the active players, the highest is Pujols, with a career WAR of 100.

Of course, WAR isn't everything. Big Papi isn't up there in career WAR, but he is no doubt one of Boston's most clutch hitters. Thankfully, he didn't just burn the Yankees; he burned everyone. :) And although there is no argument that Ted Williams was the best to put on a Sox uniform, Big Papi brought that starved city three championships.

Much respect to Big Papi. And glad "we don't have to face him" any more. :) Salute!

hitme64, courtside3 and Sunil_K like this.
  4. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Finally put my MLB subscription to good use with the live stream of the Home Run Derby.

Twins' Bour hit 22 in the first round, which was the most in the entire Derby, except Judge came through with 23 to advance.

Gary Sanchez did his teammate a favor by ousting defending champ, Mike Stanton, in the first round.

But here's the bottom line: There were 130+ home runs hit in the derby, but only four went over 500 feet—all by the new Home Run Derby champ, Aaron Judge! :)

greta87 likes this.
  5. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

he was just a monster out there. even in the final round, he still had 2 minutes to spare when he beat the score of the other finalist... too easy...

#925 greta87, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    rbenzon likes this.
  6. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

If Chapman didn't blow that lead in game 1 of the series in Fenway, the Yanks would have won this one 3-1.. & reduced the lead of the red sox to 1.5 games...... god , I hate the red sox.. :(:mad:

rbenzon likes this.
  7. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

hahaha!

my hatred isn't as intense because my boston hatred is divided into their four teams :D which started with my 80s loathing of the celtics. :)

i am a student and fan of native americans, whose decimation started in new england—so yeah, my hatred goes way back. haha.

greta87 likes this.