macOS Sierra Tips & Tricks

Discussion in 'Sierra (10.12)' started by Qin Zhi, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Active Member

Let's compile macOS Sierra tips and tricks here. :)

To start off, let me share with all of you this relatively large collection of useful tips and tricks I found at TechRadar: The 50 best Mac tips, tricks and timesavers.

Anmi likes this.
  2. Edelheid

Edelheid Well-Known Member

Here are some tips from the top of my head right now:

- When taking screenshots of whatever is on your display, you're most probably using Command + Shift + 3 or 4 (3 for the entire screen or 4 for selection) but by making a slight adjustment to that, you can use Command + Shift + Control + 3 or 4 instead to automatically copy the screenshot to your clipboard. By default, any screenshot you take will end up on your desktop contributing to all the clutter but, this command, in particular, will only save the screenshot you just took to your clipboard, leaving it to your discretion where to store or paste that screenshot. Alternatively, you can still continue using the command you're used to Command + Shift + 4 and then only press Control when you let go of the mouse. This produces the same result; go with whatever you're most comfortable with.

- For a hacky way of automatically pausing (and unpausing) whatever media content is playing on iTunes, Spotify, VLC (and some other supported apps) as soon as you start another audio or video elsewhere like YouTube, try Background Music.

- Also, download the Safari extension 'NoMoreiTunes' if you detest its default behaviour of launching iTunes every time you visit an iTunes Preview or App Store page. Speaking as someone who visits multiple iTunes Preview/App Store pages daily this is an extension that's impossible for me to live without.

Other Safari extensions you may find useful: (not exactly tips & tricks, but well... lol)
    • PiPer - Adds Picture in Picture functionality to Safari for Youtube, Netflix, Amazon Video, Twitch, and more.
    • BackTrack - Reverse image search.
    • uBlock Origin - Powerful adblocker that consumes less resources.

#2 Edelheid, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    shootertwist, Anmi and Qin Zhi like this.
  3. arkaell

arkaell Active Member

I like using Command + Shift + 4 + Space Bar to capture the current display of any Mac App you have open :)

4. Edelheid

Yup! And if anyone ever wanted the result to be saved to his clipboard, simply add Control to the mixture.

Command + Shift + Control + 4 + Space Bar

5. Edelheid

Bumping this thread to share this one useful tip:

Hold down 'option,' select Wi-Fi on your menubar, and hover your pointer over to your iPhone's Personal Hotspot* to check your phone's remaining battery life. Super useful in a sense that it will keep me from waking up my phone.

[​IMG]

*You don't have to toggle Personal Hotspot on your iPhone to make use of this. I believe this utilises Instant Hotspot which is already part of the Continuity feature set. Instant Hotspot requires Mac OS X 10.10 or newer, iOS 8.1 or newer on an iPhone or cellular iPad; in this case, the iPhone and Mac must be using the same iCloud ID.

#5 Edelheid, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    shootertwist, Anmi and Qin Zhi like this.
  6. caffelatte

caffelatte Member

I'm new to mac and these tips are super helpful.

7. caffelatte

caffelatte Member

can you recommend other websites about mac OS?

also a super long list of keyboard shortcuts - found couple but it would be nice if there's a long list. until now i'm still getting confused when adding another button to press with command. :cry:

8. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Active Member

First on the list would be Apple's official support site:
    The above resources are sadly often ignored, when they should be the ones you should be reading first.

I strongly recommend the MacRumors Forum, where you might want to frequent the following fora:
    Here are other sites I regularly visit:
    Here's the official list of keyboard shortcuts for macOS Sierra: Mac keyboard shortcuts

ronjet likes this.
  9. caffelatte

caffelatte Member

again thank for your inputs. to start, I actually visited apple's website first :)

first time for me - my mac stop working. quick reboot fixed it. then text of the menus gone. another restart :(

bookmarking those links now :)

10. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Active Member

4p0se likes this.