MacBook Pro w/ Touch Bar Wifi Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ygee, Mar 20, 2017.

1. ygee

ygee Member

Hi, anybody else experiencing Wi-Fi issues on the MBP with touch bar?
    I'm particularly having trouble connecting to routers with 2.4GHz bandwidth settings, but my iPhone and our MacBook Air has no trouble connecting to either 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wi-Fi. Sometimes, it can't even detect the Wi-Fi it it's on 2.4GHz.
    I'm running macOS Sierra 10.12.3 and I've already followed almost all the troubleshooting tips, except the reinstalling and downgrading of OS.

2. Edelheid

Edelheid Well-Known Member

My tbMBP running 10.12.3 can detect and join 2.4GHz networks, but the connection fluctuates, so it's more or less broken to me. I ended up using 5GHz for everything.

3. ygee

ygee Member

Yes, sometimes that's the case if the Wi-Fi connection is visible.

4. ygee

ygee Member

I think I might have found the issue. I tried plugging in and out my USB-C mouse, and it somehow affects the consistency of my Wi-Fi connection. Doesn't make sense, but maybe it's a bug for the MacBook Pros with touch bar.

5. Edelheid

Edelheid Well-Known Member

6. Sforza

Sforza Member

I'm affected as well. I have a usb-c ssd, and plugging it in makes my wifi stop working. I was able to work around it somewhat by making sure the ssd is as far away as possible from the laptop when connecting on 2.4ghz networks. Unfortunately I don't think you can do this with a mouse.

ygee likes this.
  7. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Active Member

It seems to me that the problem is device-specific.

Just a few minutes back I did an experiment myself in an attempt to (somehow) replicate that problem. I never encountered the problem.

Here's what I did:

Router
    At home I use a TP-Link TL-WDR7500 router. It has two bands: 5.0GHz and 2.4GHz. It's set-up such that each band has it's own password, so I normally connect to 5.0GHz, while it is devices that don't support 5.0GHz (such as my WiFi printer and old iPhones) and my next-door neighbor that connect to 2.4Ghz. For purposes of this experiment, I connected my tbMBP to my 2.4GHz band.

USB A & C Devices
    I then filled-up all four ports of my MBP with the following devices:

1. Left side:
    • Sony 32-GB USB A - USB C flash drive
    • Toshiba 1TB USB 3 hard disk connected via Apple USB A to USB C adapter
    IMG_0505.JPG

2. Right side:
    • the following devices connected via Apple multi-port AV adapter:
      • external 1080p monitor via HDMI
      • Logitech M187 wireless mouse (of my 2009 MBP) via its USB receiver
    • Western Digital 1TB USB 3 hard disk connected via Apple USB A to USB C adapter
    IMG_0508.JPG

In addition, my iPhone and Magic Mouse are also connected to my tbMBP via Bluetooth, which, by my understanding, also uses the 2.4GHz band (not thru my router, of course, but I meant that they use the same 2.4GHz frequency).

The experiment

I first played a movie in Youku it's (like a YouTube of China). [Btw, the gorgeous lady in the film is Angelababy--a highly famous Chinese actress. She starred in Independence Day: Resurgence.] The Activity Monitor in the screenshot below confirms that the movie is streaming.

Next, I started transferring large movie files to my USB flash drive and 2 hard disks simultaneously and checked if my connection will drop. It didn't.

Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 下午2.04.02.jpg

As shown in the screenshot above, large files are being copied to those 3 drives (as shown in their progress bars at the lower right), but without any drop or interruption to my streaming video and internet connection (as shown in Activity Monitor at the bottom of the screen. Download speed: 552 KBps).

I'd tend to believe that the problem is device-specific; more specifically: a badly-shielded USB 3.x devices (as pointed out in that MacRumors thread shared by @Edelheid above).

#7 Qin Zhi, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  8. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Active Member

Here's a solution I read in that above-cited MacRumors thread: wrap your faulty USB 3 device in aluminum foil to insulate it. :ROFLMAO:

[​IMG]

The one who posted this claims that "aluminum foil blocks all radio waves, so everything['s] gonna work perfect."

ygee likes this.
  9. ygee

ygee Member

Hi Qin Zhi, yes, the cause seems to be a badly-shielded USB 3.x device. I tried using an original Apple USB-C adapter and it works without a problem no matter which Wi-Fi band I use.

10. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Active Member

Off-topic: It's best to be picky when buying devices/gadgets that you'd end plugging to your MBP. Be particularly wary of those no-name Chinese products: at best they're simply badly-shielded; at worst they can toast your MBP.

Most especially for USB-C devices, it's best to stick to those made by reputable manufacturers (ex: Apple, Belkin, Anker, Moshi, Kingston, SanDisk and the likes). Based on a study made by a Google engineer, cheap ones or those made by non-certified companies can cause serious damage to your computer: Cheap USB-C Cables Could Kill Your Phone or Laptop. Thus, I'd rather go for accessories made by trusted brand, even though they're more expensive, given that the notebook I'll use it on is far more expensive.

Ironically, though, among my favorite pasttime is scouring Chinese online stores for all sorts of devices and accessories, such as these USB C devices here (most of which I'll never buy fearing that they'll just fry my MBP):
    It's simply fun killing time browsing through those--as you won't find even a quarter as much options in the Philippines. :D

[Disclaimer: I am not in anyway connected with Taobao.com and JD.com. They're simply the eBay or Amazon.com equivalents of China, and thus I enjoy occasionally sharing my latest finds there.]

#10 Qin Zhi, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  11. cruzargel

cruzargel Member

I'm also encountering this issue on my late 2016 base model.

I bought a USB hub in Lazada (Deerway brand). The wifi will start working again if I touch the cable haha.

Could not find locally a branded USB hub unfortunately.

Update:
    It only happens sa USB 3.0 external hard drive ko. (WD) WIFI works fine if other devices ang naka-kabit.

The same external HDD is working well with the Apple USB adapter though.

#11 cruzargel, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  12. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Active Member

Try those of Belkin or Moshi. They're much pricier but far more reliable than those Chinese-branded ones (stay away from the latter, especially if it's USB-C devices). As far as I know, many Apple authorized dealers carry Belkin and Moshi products. (Not sure which specific stores though, as I've been away from the Ph for quite some time now.) :)