MacBook Pro Essential Accessories

Discussion in 'Apple Accessories & Peripherals' started by sickflick, Sep 1, 2015.

1. sickflick

sickflick New Member

I've been a Macbook user for years now and I just replaced my old 2009 MacBook to the MacBook Pro with Retina. But before I just had the Speck case for my accessories and a plastic keyboard guard that didn't do much since my keys are still having some black stains.

Hence, I want to ask what kinds of accessories do you suggest that a MacBook user should acquire to protect or prolong the simplistic beauty of your laptop?

Thanks!

2. makinao

makinao Active Member

I never used a hard shell for my macs. A slim and/or brief case for daily use, and a backpack for travelling is all I've needed.

3. amboy

amboy Member

i use a Tech21 hard case on my rMBP, sturdy sleeve and bag. that's about it for protection. other accessories are a vga to thunderbolt adapter and a usb LAN adapter.

4. Bohica1925

Bohica1925 Member

5. PinkAngel

PinkAngel New Member

Is keyboard protector really needed for MBA?

#5 PinkAngel, Feb 6, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  6. antski

antski Active Member

if you drink coffee while working on your macbook

PinkAngel likes this.
  7. Kleithxx

Kleithxx Active Member

I believe so because you can see smudges of oil po pagtagal if you do not use keyboard protector. Used one before sa MBP ko then I removed it, after a while yung smudges ng oil sa keyboard parang hindi na natatanggal so right now po sa rMB ko, I never remove it. :D

8. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

leave it naked...i tell you, a year from now, it'll be old and outdated but it was worth it...so let it be and enjoy it instead...

forget the nicks and scratches, it's always the first one that hurts...

kenshinx, rimewire and bhoyetjumpay like this.
  9. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

totally agree with hitme64, also when you put keyboard protector you blocking the air coming out since keyboard also serves as a "vent". as always i'm saying, the best accessories will be an applecare protection plan :)

hitme64 and PinkAngel like this.
  10. Kleithxx

Kleithxx Active Member

Well, ymmv. Im one of those people who wants their things in their pristine condition. Best thing is i am enjoying this thing and maintaining its beauty. :D

PinkAngel likes this.
  11. PinkAngel

PinkAngel New Member

I just had my MBA kasi yesterday. Medyo may pagka OC kasi ako. :D I want it to last long but still preserve its beauty. Thank you so much for sharing all your thoughts.

12. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

IF you type a lot and you're really OC about smudges and sweat, using a keyboard protector would be fine. IF you tend to place liquids very near your MBA and you can be 'clumsy' at times, a keyboard protector might save you. However, as stated earlier, heat is also vented out through the keyboard so using a protector hinders such function.

If you think you can live without a keyboard protector, go ahead and use your MBA as Jony Ive intended. If not, then go get one. Just let your MBA breathe every now and then.

Long story short: Not "really needed" but it's okay if you use one.

End of the day, it's your MBA. Whether you keep it nude, cover it with stickers or glitter, treat it better than your BF/GF, or use it as a chopping board, is all up to you. It's a great machine which I'm sure will serve you well.

Ravenmd, jbe21, hellomek and 2 others like this.
  13. PinkAngel

PinkAngel New Member

I also have another question, is it ok to use a mouse other than the one from apple (it's quite expensive). I bought an inexpensive mouse from CD-R king. Would that do?

14. makinao

makinao Active Member

Any
    Any USB mouse will work. All my mice are from CR-R king and they work on ALL our Apple computers. They may not be pretty, but they get the job done.

PinkAngel likes this.
  15. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

Yes. (double yes, if you play games in your Mac)

However, some mouse gestures might not be available. If you look at System Preferences > Mouse, or the Apple website section on the Magic Mouse, you'll notice that Apple has designed some mouse gestures that would make certain tasks easier (like 'tap to zoom', double tap for Mission Control, two-finger swipe, et.al.). Naturally, they designed these with the Magic Mouse in mind. An ordinary, third-party mouse would deprive you of said features, unless it's the multi-button programmable type.

But if the mouse gestures are no biggie for you, go ahead and get an inexpensive mouse. Just plug and play.

PinkAngel likes this.
  16. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^and ruin your Apple experience by using the mouse instead of a trackpad?

there's nothing better than using the MBA without the accessories around you...like we all do know now, this isn't an ordinary laptop anyway...

PinkAngel likes this.
  17. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

agree and i suggest for the meantime use trackpad then make ipon for magic mouse.

can't imagine a macbook air with cd-r king mouse. anyways, just don't use outside your room/home, medyo masagwa tignan o_O(no pun intended)

hitme64 likes this.
  18. PinkAngel

PinkAngel New Member

oo nga 'no. ;) thanks for the reminder.

19. KYLE_GUIBELONDO

KYLE_GUIBELONDO New Member

as for myself.. its better to protect your hard earned money to protect these kind of gadgets by simply having a case and screen protectors. i got mine with UAG case for rMBP to match my iphone and ipad cases.

Attached Files:

20. Aurora_USA

Aurora_USA New Member