Mac User Groups Fade in Number and Influence, but Devotees Press On

Discussion in 'AppleTalk' started by johannes, Oct 6, 2015.

1. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

Dear PhilMUG,

I'm not a founding member of this community but I've been here long enough to notice the changes that PhilMUG has gone through, especially its level of activity. In my three years as Chairman, long-time members have approached me with a common observation -- we're not as active as we used to be.

And they're right. Whether online here in the Forum or in PhilMUG meets (except for the ever-popular Christmas parties), attendance and activity have dwindled over the years. I've attributed this to many factors:
    - Macs and Apple products are more accessible now in terms of pricing and availability.
    - There are a lot more sources now for Apple news and troubleshooting help. (including social media, of course)
    - Apple products aren't for a niche market anymore.
    - It's a testament to how easier to use Macs and Apple products have become over the years.
    - It's been ages since Apple had an "iPhone-moment" that rocked the world off-orbit (like the iMac, iPod, and iPad).

Yes, things are more quiet now here in PhilMUG when compared to earlier years. Aside from the reasons I postulated, one can also say some folks have simply moved on... and that Apple doesn't have a monopoly on cool products anymore.

One can even say PhilMUG is a dinosaur now and is just a remnant of Apple's earlier years and the Steve Jobs era.

Some, maybe all, of these could be right. But regardless of the reason, we're still here. We're still soldiering on. We're still logging in and trying to make it to those meets. We're still learning from each other and helping each other out. We're still staying up late to watch a Keynote live and still getting giddy over every reveal... hoping to hear three magic words -- One More Thing.

We're not as many as we used to be but we're still here. Apple has had its ups and downs over the years, disappointing, nay, frustrating some of us here but PhilMUG is still here. In keeping with how some people compare Apple fandom with religious fervor, I guess I can say that for a good number of us here, we have "kept the faith."

Thus, when I came across this article in The New York Times entitled, "Mac User Groups Fade in Number and Influence, but Devotees Press On," I naturally felt the connection.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/09/t...-press-on.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=1

So what am I driving at here? Apple can dazzle us and disappoint us at any given time. Forum attendance can go up and down. As with any cycle, Apple may go through another phase where it's not king of the hill at the moment. But from what I've seen so far, and with the people (now friends) I've come to know because of this Forum, I'm confident the PhilMUG community will continue on, whether we're 20,000 or 20.

Because I believe this isn't just a group of Apple fanboys and fangirls linked together by a server and bound by the latest shiny product. It's a community. And as the article says, it's what matters. And it's what lives on.

So whether or not we reach that point where PhilMUG is down to just twenty members, like the group featured in the article, I will always be grateful for PhilMUG.ph and I will always "keep the faith."

Prof. Butch Dalisay (penmanila), a multi-awarded luminary who has more than one feather on his cap, has said time and again that one of his proudest titles was that of "PhilMUG Chairman." I can say I agree with him wholeheartedly. Because as this article pointed out, the likes of PhilMUG may be an anachronism now, but the likes of it are a testament to loyalty and fellowship.

And who wouldn't want to be part of that?

2. Cmmig

Cmmig Well-Known Member

Keep up the good work sir! Philmug has proved to be an invaluable resource for me and a very enjoyable community.

3. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mmm......let the robots in. Lol!

4. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

don't worry when apple releases iphone 6s and 6s plus here in our country, philmug will be "active again" and will have many new members o_O:D

noticed also that fewer post were gain everyday

#4 bhoyetjumpay, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  5. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

Been here since 05 and i never felt the group dwindled in size. Not that active but you can see those friendly avatars participates and posts every once in a while. I think we'll endure, long after Apple closes as a company. To infinity and beyond muggers!

gianpee likes this.
  6. potpot2

potpot2 Well-Known Member

i use to post a little here and there but since tapatalk access was removed, i seldom have a chance to visit philmug now. hope tapatalk access will be restored, as it is the easiest way for me to access philmug since im out of town most of the time.

sibilly, dcph172 and pscolboy like this.
  7. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

i for one believe that it isn't just about Apple products, or software, or troubleshooting tips, or whatever else that fruit has had to offer now, i think it more of just being a community, albeit a close-knit one, and one that doesn't actually need to have a new product line or spiffy motto to make the forum alive and kicking...i also believe that the real crux of PhilMug is its membership despite the fading numbers, but who cares anyway?

i came here not because i had a new iPhone, or a new Mac, or that i downloaded its latest software, i came here because outside of PhilMug i have not had a decent, cerebral and tempered conversation about anything else beyond Apple if i were to get it from those who are too giddy, or too distracted, or too compartmented enough to even care what i feel about other matters other than a new iPhone or Mac or OS X...

That is why the OT section of this forum has been its most thriving feature, and it really is its most talked-about thread in reality...why? because beyond what we covet, or we have, or we want in the future, we do have other things and issues to thrive on, to make known, to seek guidance, to laugh about, to mope about, to read about...without these, PhilMug would have just been a shell of itself, probably like hi-fi when it should have been stereo...

i like it here...i get my daily fix here...if i wanted any other conversation i get it from my wife, or my kids...i don't get this much talk at work, because who does anyway?

in here, its Nirvana, because out there it's just too ordinary...

8. cyrianagujo

cyrianagujo Member

I've been here since '07, and while I initially joined because I don't know sh*t about macs then, I stayed because of how the community handled and continues to handle itself. It still remains the most disciplined, respectable, and knowledgeable online community I belong to, and I'm proud to be part of it. I've still yet to find a forum that is as 'civilized' as PhilMug. So in the same vein, while it was created with Apple and its products in mind, PhilMug will definitely continue on even when Apple stops being the force it is today.

fuge and topaz like this.
  9. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

Great piece, Chairman. Am proud to have been with Philmug since 1995 and to see people like you continue to hold the banner high.

We set high standards for moderation here--much higher than most other places online--and that's what's kept us afloat. We care for our members and protect them when we should--sometimes from their own worse selves. We aim for a community where people don't feel threatened or are made to look stupid, knowing that all of us can make awful mistakes or can say the wrong thing. Tolerance and respect rank high in the Philmug ethos. You don't get that in the free-for-all atmosphere of much of the rest of the Web.

Best of all, we have people like Chairman Jo, who have been willing to set aside part of their precious time to mind the community and its affairs.

You can get your techie fix from a dozen other places online, but here at Philmug, we don't just know Macs--we know the people who use them, too, and always put them ahead.

10. porkypork

porkypork Active Member

You can also attribute the dwindling number of active members to various social media platforms because it is easier to access and has more "audience", it actually "killed" most of the forums that I was active in. That's why I know that PhilMUG is one of the better online communities out there because it managed to survive even at the advent of Facebook, Twitter, etc.

BTW, our Clash of Clans (COC) group is very active daily. :D

paolo. and Jsnc like this.
  11. cyberathlete

cyberathlete Active Member

Very well said.

And here's to the podcentral.ph members as well. God, I miss that forum's shirt.

12. jaijin

jaijin Well-Known Member

Bring back those effin love threads! They're like viruses, spreading like wildfire.

Just kidding. Don't! I'm looking at you, Louie.

Carry on.

Mykolant, pels_17 and greta87 like this.
  13. jaijin

jaijin Well-Known Member

I'm still wondering why the Philmug Facebook group isn't that busy though.

14. porkypork

porkypork Active Member

Which is kind of a good thing. Because iba talaga dating pag nasa forum. :)

15. essay

essay Active Member

Compared to FB:

Forum format has anonymity (valued by some members).
    And it easier to search for topics or threads as they are organized and structured well.

paolo. and greta87 like this.
  16. panis

panis Well-Known Member

Yup, some members who used to be very active in posting comments and questions have somewhat reduced their activity here. Even I have noticed that I have not been posting much the last two years. But we are still here. We are still a community. Not much problem-solving discussions, I guess, because of the availability of support and the ease of use of Apple products.

I don't think Philmug would become irrelevant any time soon. We have a great team of moderators and a great chairman. And we have developed the community to something more that an Apple-support forum.

paolo. and greta87 like this.
  17. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mmm....Apple, Inc. is now the establishment, Microsoft the insurgency. So, let's turn into Microsofties......and bring back BSOD :p.

18. infiniteloop

infiniteloop Active Member

I think this trend started after the layout change.

Pero sa Christmas party magiging active ulit mga members. Hehe.

19. wattleferdz

wattleferdz Active Member

Tama si Infiniteloop, the layout change is a factor. I personally am still adjusting to the change despite the number of months which have passed. Am not saying the change is bad, it just needs some getting used to.

20. dcph172

dcph172 Member

^^ +2 on the layout change and +1 on losing tapatalk access. I havent been as active since.

sibilly and macdiver like this.