Mac Solid State Drive (SSD) Upgrade Database

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by booblanco, Sep 6, 2012.

1. rducky__1417

rducky__1417 New Member

Thanks for the replies, guys! very awesome!

@Borgz, yes, it's the retina display MBP. The grandpa :) >sigh< So the Jetdrive is the only SSD that will fit in my mbp? :( it's so damn expensive...
    @ryan, among the SSD's you installed, which one do you really prefer? :)

This is the type of SSD that could fit in my MBP-RD:
    [​IMG]

#541 rducky__1417, Jan 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  2. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan Well-Known Member

Thats right, sadly for upgraders if you have a recent Air or Retina Pro the 2.5 SSD wont fit. You can only use the blade type SSD and those come in a variety of connectors so be make extra sure you buy the right one. However the blade type SSD has better performances especially the newer ones which kinda helps justify its high price.

As for my fav 2.5 SSD. I think they have been all surpisingly more robust and reliable then the spinning 2.5 platter drives I used. The only failures I experienced where my San Disk drives. I got a dead on arrival and another one just randomly failed but they were quickly replaced by warranty amd been working reliable for a year now. I only have two Samsungs, one Intel, and a toshiba so I cant those judge those yet but so far Crucial has been my favorite. I have been using 10 of them for years and no failures yet and they are in line with the price of San Disk.

3. Analog_KiD

Analog_KiD New Member

My project this weekend. Upgrading my MBP mid 2012. I still need a SATA to USB3 cable for cloning the SSD though.
    [​IMG]

eyemac likes this.
  4. Leviticusrockzph

Leviticusrockzph New Member

Do not use M.2 ssd you might want to check out some SATA SSDs there.
    You will need many adapters with that.
    You may want to check this video so you have an Idea on what you can upgrade to make you MBP 2012 workable in 2017

5. makinao

makinao Active Member

You could also get a hd enclosure. You can then use it later for the swapped out hd.

Analog_KiD likes this.
  6. makinao

makinao Active Member

I clone my existing hd to the ssd in an external enclosure. That way, no need for a bootable flash drive or OS reinstallation. Just turn in on after installing the new ssd and EVERYTHING, apps, files, settings, etc are the same as before.

7. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

i normally use superduper to clone whole drives, but since my transcend SSD (240gb) was smaller than my HDD (1tb) on my MBP 2008, i did a fresh install of the OS on the SSD, then used migration assistant to copy selected files over. i effectively aliased large folders like my music and pictures. works like a charm ;)

Leviticusrockzph likes this.
  8. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan Well-Known Member

Great video. Did this to my 17 Macbook Pro a few years back. Even posted it with photos in the old hardware section here in Philmug. Just a word of caution to those who will do RAID0, its certainly faster but if one if your SSD fails you lose all your data so back up friequently in this configuration. What I personally did with mine is to simply maximise my storage and use both SSD as is. Another option is to use the second disk as a Time Machine backup but if your gonna do that might as well use a traditional 2.5 drive with greater capacity.

Leviticusrockzph likes this.
  9. Leviticusrockzph

Leviticusrockzph New Member

Yes I agree, much better to use the services provided by Apple like timemachine because it's more simplier than making raid0 on a laptop.

If you have a storage server might it is better to configure a raid 5 or much better a synology methods it is much more easier to configure.

Anyway SSDs are robust there are no mechanical hardware unlike HDD which could be tear out are several read/write

so there are little chance of damages...

10. Analog_KiD

Analog_KiD New Member

Heres an update about my recent post regarding upgrading my MBP mid 2012
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I start by cloning my HD to SSD using Carbon Copy. It took about 3 hours to complete the cloning. Opened the back of my MBP and replaced both the standard memory and HD with two 4GB of RAM sticks and a 750GB SSD. Closed it - boot it for the first time - It booted successfully! Then I enabled the SSD Trim by typing sudo trimforce enable into the Terminal Window, it automatically rebooted the computer. After that, I restart again and pressed D to run the Apple Diagnostic for my RAM and no problems were reported. Thats pretty much it, I think it was a successful upgrade...

11. AdeContinuado

AdeContinuado New Member

Good day! newbie here ask ko lang ano kailangan ko upgrade sa macbook pro early 2011 model? Binigay lang kase sakin ng sister ko. Sabi niya medyo mabagal so pa upgrade ko nalang. Problem is hindi ako masyado familiar. eto yung specs

OS X Yosimete
    version 10.10.5
    MacBookPro
    Processor: 2.3GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

Thanks!

12. makinao

makinao Active Member

There are only two hardware items you can upgrade in your MacBook. First storage, HD to SSD. Second RAM, 4gb to 8gb.

13. AdeContinuado

AdeContinuado New Member

Thanks sir! By anychance how much is the price range for those?

14. makinao

makinao Active Member

for your early 2011 MBP, you're looking for
    RAM: PC-10600 (1333 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM (8gb = 2pcs 4gb)
    SSD: SATA 2.5"

Check out the price list at ayos computer (a.k.a. Louie). Trusted by many here.
    https://tipidpc.com/useritems.php?username=ayoscomputer

If you're in New Manila, PCHub also has most of the same items and reasonable prices. But no delivery, and you're on you own about compatibility.
    https://tipidpc.com/useritems.php?username=PCHub

P.S. I'm not connected to either. Just a satisfied customer of both.

#554 makinao, Feb 9, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    AdeContinuado likes this.
  15. eyemac

eyemac Member

@Analog_KiD - may I ask where did you sourced these components and for how much? thank you

16. Don Pao

Don Pao Well-Known Member

If your ok with use parts for your 2011 macbook pro single stick 8GB DDR3 Sodimm - roughly 1k-1.3k / SSD Cheapest ive seen for 240GB is kingston @ 3k or used ssd 180GB 1.8k - 2k just got one last week for 1.8k.

More or less 3k your good to go.

17. Analog_KiD

Analog_KiD New Member

Hello @eyemac Bought it from Taiwan. The SSD costs nt5.7k and the RAM nt700 each... All in all (converted to peso) about P10.5k

#557 Analog_KiD, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    eyemac likes this.
  18. eyemac

eyemac Member

Thanks mate! I have the same MBP model as yours and always wanted to upgrade, mine has been sluggish after updating it to macOS Sierra (from Mavericks), boot time is painfull :-(

19. Analog_KiD

Analog_KiD New Member

Np @eyemac :) upgrading our mid2012 MBP to SSD is the best way to speed up boot time and loading time of apps. I measured the boot time (El Capitan) before the upgrade and it took 1min 35secs to boot now with the SSD installed it only takes 18secs to boot.

k1ng_archer likes this.
  20. ZeroCool

ZeroCool Active Member

Time for an upgrade... (y)

[​IMG]

Qin Zhi and Leviticusrockzph like this.