Mac Solid State Drive (SSD) Upgrade Database

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by booblanco, Sep 6, 2012.

1. abbykua

abbykua Member

Is it advisable to buy ssd in Amazon? Or would it be cheaper to buy locally considering warranty?

2. vhyc

vhyc Member

anyone here tried changing their hdd to ssd their mid 2011 iMac 27"? thinking of changing mine cause of very slow response. upgraded my ram to 16gb already.

3. Skint

Skint Well-Known Member

Yes its better to buy it here Abby try to contact Louie of Ayos Computer.He has a good deal most of the time and COD pa with minimal additional cost.The last time I bought from him it was plus 100 petot.He can also install the ssd on your compute if you want it.

#523 Skint, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    abbykua and jesusluison like this.
  4. abbykua

abbykua Member

Is it recommended to upgrade RAM as well if I'm going to upgrade to SSD? Thank you for the reply.

5. Skint

Skint Well-Known Member

Not necessarily if you have already more than enough RAM for your daily digital work flow but really helps alot to speed up graphic.Unless
    If your digital graphic work flow will requires graphic intensive processing. Like post processing and video editing I must say yes. Hope this helps. - Alvin

abbykua and jesusluison like this.
  6. cybersniper

cybersniper Well-Known Member

I did. You need a good suction cup for this. I got mine from a local Ace hardware. This model is easier to upgrade compared to latter ones (this doesn't mean it is THAT easy though). - after the upgrade, you would need to install SSD Fan Controller - else, the fans would go wild.

I upgraded mine to a 512GB Crucial M550. - since the iMac's stock HDD is 3.5" and the SSD I upgraded it into is 2.5" you would have to McGyver this a little... but all you need is a good double sided mounting tape. - I would go for 3M for this (the tape is black with red peel)

When you open up your iMac to upgrade the hard drive, take the time to clean up the screen too - for smudges/dust... and reseal it with a foil tape (available from the same hardware store).

here are the things you need to upgrade the drive:

-Suction cups
    -Philips/Star screwdrivers
    -Mounting Tape

additional stuff if you'd clean your screen from smudges:

-Microfiber cloth
    -Airblower
    -Duster
    -Foil Tape

Opening up the iMac and upgrading/cleaning it, is the easy part... puting 'em all back speck free is where the challenge comes in - if you have OCD like me. lol - so do this in a day when you have nothing else to do so you can take your time. Also, needless to say, but do this in a dust-free environment.

#526 cybersniper, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    Sunil_K likes this.
  7. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan Well-Known Member

Crucial's prices have really dropped a lot. I'm really tempted to get that 2tb SSD and stick it in my iMac.

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX30...&qid=1480465832&sr=1-4&keywords=crucial+mx300

If you don't want the hassle. Just call an authorized service center and ask them if they can install it for you. BTB does it for 1,500 I believe.

Sunil_K likes this.
  8. rebiscoco

rebiscoco Member

Long overdue upgrade. Can't wait to get home. :LOL:

IMG_2426.jpg

9. Alrainier

Alrainier Member

Guys, would like to consult with you before I upgrade to SSD. I have an Macbook Pro Early 2011 with 4g RAM and 320 HDD.

What do you think is better
    Here are my 2 options:
    Option 1:
    Upgrade to 525G SSD
    Updgrade RAM 8G

Option 2:
    Upgrade to 256G SSD
    Remove CD Drive and add 1 Tera HDD
    Upgrade RAM 8G

I am a light user and don't have much applications. I would store pictures and videos so I think I just add 1 Tera for the memory.

Just want to ask as well. If I put 1T HDD, will it make booting, etc slower than just placing SDD?

TIA

#529 Alrainier, Dec 21, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  10. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

Id go with option 2. No need for optical drive noawadays so why not convert it to a high capacity storage.

Alrainier likes this.
  11. bowman60

bowman60 Member

12. Don Pao

Don Pao Well-Known Member

Anyone from manila? :) pasabay if possible.

Thanks.

My intel x25m 80GB still works roughly 5-6 years old now. while my Gskill 120GB died after 10-11months

13. makinao

makinao Active Member

Just upgraded from a WD Blue SSHD to a Crucial MX300 1tb on my MBP 15" mid-2012 i7. Got it from Louie of AyosComputer for 14.8k including delivery. Took about 8 hours to clone using Carbon Copy Cloner and an old CD-R King usb2 enclosure. I swapped the drives myself. I haven't opened all the apps yet, all the ones I've used are just fine.

14. Analog_KiD

Analog_KiD New Member

Cant wait to upgrade my 13inch MBP mid-2012! Stock HDD upgrade to MX300 750GB.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Salaryman Ryan and jesusluison like this.
  15. rducky__1417

rducky__1417 New Member

hi! can I use a Samsung EVO SSD (1TB) rather than Transcend JetDrive SSD for my MBP-RD 15" mid2012? A JetDrive is too expensive @17k+ for the 480GB...
    Thanks!

16. Analog_KiD

Analog_KiD New Member

Samsung EVO SSD should work fine on your MBP mid 2012

17. rducky__1417

rducky__1417 New Member

thanks for the reply, man! Should I still TRIM it? What's the main difference (and selling point) between the SAMSUNG and JETDRIVE? How much was the damage for your SSD though?

#537 rducky__1417, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  18. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan Well-Known Member

From what I gather online most of the modern SSDs have their own built in wear leveling so that is not necessary. For reference my family has a school and I administer 15+ iMacs all upgraded with a variety of SSDs (Sandisk, Crucial, and Samsung), the oldest is 2 years old. So far no problem even with heavy daily use.

19. Borgz

Borgz Member

Is this the 15" Retina display? Because if it is, the EVO SSD may not fit the connector/slot. Jetdrive is specifically designed for the retina display's connector or slot

Salaryman Ryan likes this.
  20. Analog_KiD

Analog_KiD New Member

I got mine (Crucial MX300 750GB) NT5,700 which is about P8,500.. I realy dont know much about TRIM though but the Samsung SSDs are currently faster than any other SSD drives commercially available...