Mac Solid State Drive (SSD) Upgrade Database

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by booblanco, Sep 6, 2012.

1. cybersniper

cybersniper Well-Known Member

get a Crucial BX200 480GB - this is better than your choices above. Fast and reliable. Php 7,850 (or less if you get a discount)

Contact Louie of TPC 09399161953 --- when you call to place the order, let him know that you'll have it installed (this is free), so he'd send out a knowledgeable person for this - to deliver and install.

kyutums and OliDeGuzman like this.
  2. OliDeGuzman

OliDeGuzman Member

I know this isn't the channel to ask this but I was wondering if I can ask which HDD would you recommend for the optical bay caddy? Looking at 1TB for files and back up. Can it be partitioned?

3. Jerooome

Jerooome New Member

I bought a Samsung SSD 850 evo to replace my seems to be failing hard drive of my MBP13 Mid-2012. I successfully installed it in my laptop however, the system seems to not recognize the ssd. Whenever I try Internet Recovery mode to install OS X, the ssd does not appear in the Disk Utility.

Anyone experiencing the same problem?

4. cybersniper

^Since you said you installed it as a replacement for what seemed to be a "failing hard drive", there are two things to look at here:
    1.) The HDD you replaced didn't really have problems... but it was the drive cable that was faulty.
    2.) You got yourself a lemon SSD.

Analog_KiD likes this.
  5. cybersniper

Get either a Seagate or Western Digital. Yes, it can be partitioned.

6. Jerooome

Jerooome New Member

I tried connecting the SSD (using usb enclosure) on a windows and the windows can detect it. I think it's safe to assume that the SSD isn't faulty, right?

So I guess I may really have a faulty SATA cable. Thank you really for the help!

zero. likes this.
  7. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan Well-Known Member

Just a heads up. Abacus in Virramall is selling the San Disk 960GB SSD for only 13,800 pesos. Good price.

Sunil_K, jesusluison and kyubi like this.
  8. anjerodesu

anjerodesu Member

I know this post is late and you may have already solved your problem but for future reference to others:

It can also mean that the drive needs to be formatted first for the Mac hardware to be able to "detect" it. If you have a Time Machine backup, install it to the SSD first before replacing the original HDD. For me, what I did was to replace the HDD with the SSD and then install the HDD as replacement of the Disk drive. By then, you can start up the installed OS on your HDD and format the SSD using Mac's file system. If you don't have a Time Machine backup you can use a cloning software to clone the HDD to the SSD.

9. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan Well-Known Member

jesusluison and Sunil_K like this.
  10. numbdensity

numbdensity Member

Hi guys, thinking of upgrading the GF's macbook 2010 to SSD and ram - what SSD should I get and where to I get compatible rams? I am also want to upgrade my Macbook mid-2012 with new SSD and 8gb ram. Your help will be greatly appreciated :D

11. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member

Hi there... look for Louie at TipidPC... he can suggest you the best ssd and ram for the unit. As for his number, please go thru this thread, its somewhere here :)

jesusluison likes this.
  12. potpot2

potpot2 Well-Known Member

sorry, not enough time to back read,
    but can anybody please recommend an ssd drive for my macbook pro 13" early 2011?
    i plan to change it tomorrow and also please recommend a seller in green hills where i can buy the ssd and have it installed too.
    thanks!

13. cybersniper

^Get either a Samsung 850 Pro or Crucial BX300. - you can buy it from Louie... and in buying, let them know that you want to have it installed upon meet-up, so he can send a staff who can do it and so they can bring tools. They don't charge extra for this.

or you can do it yourself... it would only take about 10 minutes and a screw driver.

rebiscoco likes this.
  14. mmarc

mmarc Member

Hi Guys, Can anyone recommend a good SSD (around 250 - 500GB) for my old 2008 Macbook Unibody? I already maxed out the RAM to 8GB but still feels slow during startup and when most apps are open.

Thanks

15. rebiscoco

rebiscoco Member

Hi @cybersniper,

Just want to get an advise. I'm going to upgrade my MBP Mid 2012 to an SSD.

I'm eyeing the Crucial MX300 750GB but I'm still thinking about the Samsung 850 Evo 500GB. Let me know if you have some comments on which is the best buy. :)

Thanks

16. cybersniper

^If it's just the Evo, I'd go for Crucial instead. If budget permits, go for the 850 Pro.

Sunil_K likes this.
  17. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

I also have the same laptop. I used to have a 1tb as my hard drive, & it was painfully slow (spinning beach ball coming out very often). I then got a 120gb ssd as main drive for the os & apps, took out the optical drive, & had the 1tb put there to store the files. So far so good.

18. mmarc

mmarc Member

What brand and model of SSD did you install? Thanks

19. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

Sandisk, sorry forgot the model. Got it from Abacus in greenhills.

20. Juice

Juice Well-Known Member

I just upgraded the HD on our 2008 aluminum Macbook to a 500gb hard drive from the old 320gb. I have thought about the crusial 480 over at amazon. I think it was around 130 dollars.