Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by robertbrian23, Jan 31, 2012.

1. gogetit

gogetit Member

If you can afford it, go for the Mac Pro.

2. v8designstudio

Hi Robert,

Why would you want an i7 workstation?
    Is it for a price point decision or is it for faster more stable processing?
    As is, the entry level macpro would work for most jobs for many years, the rest are for greater processing and mission critical work. I personally doubt an i7 version would be released.
    Apple has delegated the i7 to the iMac line already. It is possible they are targeting you for their iMac line with what you call "semi-pro" something. Thing is, iMacs arent that savvy on after-market upgrades.

3. robertbrian23

robertbrian23 Member

there are a lot of consumers that doesn't need xeon cpus but wanted an i7 with a tower mac. same as the G4 mac days.
    entry level mac pro is really expensive but would opt the base level mac pro than dual processor models.
    would use this primarily for games :)
    secondly for VM and doing work related tasks

4. deejay

deejay Member

what memory brand is compatible with the latest mac pro? where can i buy?

5. MacSonic 779

MacSonic 779 Member
    Supporter

Normally the brands you can use are Hynix, Kingston. You can try ordering the memories from any Apple Resellers here like Senco Link or Digital Hub. There is another brand, OWC but you need to order that online in the USA. I think memory prices went down lately - http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2012/20120418_2-MemoryPriceTrends.html

Apple Resellers that order the ram from Apple Singapore usually get the Hynix brand, as far as I know unless there are some changes.

6. deejay

deejay Member

thanks for the headsup.. i ask digital hub but it is order basis... where can i get or any local distro here? thanks!

7. v8designstudio

If its order basis, order mo na. It will be in your hands sooner than you think. With airfreight everyday from HK and Singapore, even the distributors don't stock ECC memory modules, so you really cant find any store with these on hand.

8. deejay

deejay Member

i see. actually it is cheaper online but the problem is for compatibility issues

9. MacSonic 779

MacSonic 779 Member
    Supporter

For the OWC memory for MacPro, you can try inquiring from Ynzal if they can order the ram for you. There was a time they gave me a quotation for OWC ram. Most Service centers do not keep in stock MacPro rams. They usually keep in stock laptop and iMac rams. Another option is you can try inquiring at the Tomas Morato branch of Senco Link.

10. deejay

deejay Member

thanks mate.. :)

11. MacSonic 779

MacSonic 779 Member
    Supporter

Hi Deejay,

If you are using a 2009 or 2010 Mac Pro, another option is to source out the ram from PC shops. Just make sure the store knows or gets the correct specs of the ram. There are some PC stores that now carry Mac computers like PC Gilmore, Silicon Valley or Complink. They may have tech people to help you. As far as I know it's cheaper to buy at PC stores and the warranty period is longer. Apple Singapore only offers 3 months warranty on ram.

12. deejay

deejay Member

got the memsticks. thanks guys. :D

13. rdcruzmd

rdcruzmd Member

Does anyone know if mac pro will release a new version or upgraded version anytime soon? Any ideas...

14. MacSonic 779

MacSonic 779 Member
    Supporter

No one knows yet or not sure when Apple will release a new update which is long overdue. Hoping it will be this July. Sometimes I would call up our local Apple Resellers here to find out as they may be able to give some tips.

15. carlodude

carlodude Member

There's already a petition for a new Mac Pro, but they don't see it coming before August of this year.

Read more ... Mac Pro Petition

Facebook: MacProsPlease

16. v8designstudio

How do you redefine a macpro that would also redefine the way you use it or the way it fits onto your life?

And noticeably, why isn't there any growing concern for the vanishing 30-inch monitors?

17. v8designstudio

And while we're at it.

Why don't we make this thread a little bit more interesting by inputting everything we can come up with and making a mock prototype designed by Philmuggers?

18. rdcruzmd

rdcruzmd Member

Thanks for the reply guys... I was hoping a new mac pro will be out after the Apple WWDC 2012 this June. Only the MacBookPro and MacBookAir had their new versions released.

19. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^Yeah, me too. But it's a blessing in disguise for me. Upgrading to a retina MBP and a Mac Pro upgrade would've been painful. :D

But I've read somewhere that Apple executives responded with "2013". Too bad, because I was hoping to get a lot of things done before December's end of the world. :D

20. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan Well-Known Member

Another reason why we should all splurge on a rMBP today. I'll be taking footage of the end of world on 2013 and editing it on Final Cut Pro X on my Mac's glorious retina display before it all ends. :)