Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by robertbrian23, Jan 31, 2012.

1. robertbrian23

robertbrian23 Member

would you buy a Mac Pro if given a chance? rather than an iMac? your thoughts?

wanted a discrete graphics or iMac is already suitable for you?
    just wanted opinions and your preferences. it seems that Mac Pro is taking too long to be refreshed or end of the product line as well like the XSERVE?

2. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

i'm not a video or audio professional. but given the chance, yeah, i did buy a mac pro. :)

now, i don't see why my 8-core mac needs refreshing. :slanted: if i need a performance boost, i'd probably get more from a 512GB SSD. :slanted:

i did put a blackmagic intensity pro hdmi video capture card on my mac pro. so the expansion options are quite liberating. :)

3. robertbrian23

robertbrian23 Member

agreed on you. the expandability of the mac pro separates it from the mini and iMac. but currently i'm on waiting for the newer model since the 2010 mac pro is really outdated on the current technology if the price would go down which i doubt apple would do it. it wouldn't really get the customers who needs mac pro.

hope they'll introduce it sooner the better.

4. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Actually, I started out with an iMac. Nothing wrong with it since, like I said, I am no AV professional. But given a chance, I invested in a Mac Pro. I felt that having an 8-core would serve me better over five years, rather than upgrading a Duo Core Mac (mobile or desktop) every three years. I still have my iMac, but my son now uses that.

What's better depends on usage context. Am posting this from my MBA, so whatever works! :)

5. v8designstudio

Go for it!!!

Why wait when it only prolongs the agony of not having?...Hihihi... The refresh isn't there anyway - and as always, if it does come, it just does so stealthily.

Go the 12-core route, up your memory to 3 times what you need and as Mod RB here did, modify into SSDs.

On prices, Apple increases prices for new models only slightly, almost unnoticeable, but isn't popular for bringing down prices of older models - they do sell them as either refurbished units online or they just take them off the shelves silently without much blahs.

On end-of-life, worry less on that, it would remain up there for a loooong time.

Show us some pics of your workstation soon.

6. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

i knew it was only a matter of time before our resident mac pro pimp surfaced. haha.

v8 is not v8 for nothing! his mac pro is juiced! :)

7. v8designstudio

As are you Mod RB.
    It's what sets the community apart from the rest.
    We are all BIs when it comes to these, hahaha... and some more...

8. sbuckspodium

sbuckspodium Member

A mac pro would beat everything else in the line-up. Go for the pro.

Almost all the reasons have already been given.

Add to the fact that the iMacs have the screen problem.

Haven't heard of a problem for the mac pro aside from the fact that it's too big(to display on a desk)

9. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan Well-Known Member

I would only get a Mac Pro if it was sold at a fair price - which should be lower then what is Apple currently charging. Not really the best bang for the buck right now, at least until the next refresh.

10. robertbrian23

robertbrian23 Member

i'm on the same boat. would wait for the refresh. currently still have a 2010 mbp which rocks. planning to put an SSD but not sure where to buy in PH

11. ateshawie

ateshawie New Member

i thought on choosing a macbook air from a macbook pro. in the end, i decided to buy the macbook pro (4GB) and upgraded it to 8GB. I have to outweigh the consequences of portability and productivity, so i went for an MBP.

12. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^um, this thread is about the mac pro, NOT macbook pro--unless your macbook pro has 8 or 12-cores! ;)

13. v8designstudio

Hihihi... I thought i'wasjust me. Saw question marks atop me head...

14. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan Well-Known Member

Maybe he's from the future!

15. robertbrian23

robertbrian23 Member

new Xeons are released, anyone who has a benchmark comparison to i7? i saw in anandtech and tomshardware it is compared to other server class CPUs. would like to compare the lowest possible CPU apple would offer on the mac pro and compare it to i7 with same or +200~400Mhz.

would love to have a Mac Pro with an NVIDIA graphics card as well.

16. robertbrian23

robertbrian23 Member

Would like to ask if there is a 24-month installment for mac pros in the philippines. Digital hub maybe?

17. MacSonic 779

MacSonic 779 Member

Yes you can try inquiring from Digital Hub. I think they accomodate 0% interest also on Mac Pros. Though their card price and cash price may be different.

18. robertbrian23

robertbrian23 Member

thanks dude. well i can't have the best of both worlds. installment and the original price. :(

plus i've saw that the pc video cards are now compatible without flashing on the mac pro. :D

19. MacSonic 779

MacSonic 779 Member

Welcome RobertBrian. PC Videocards can work on Mac Pros and you are correct. Only difference is with PC videocard, during boot up time after the apple chime, you would not see the apple logo on a light gray screen but just the same it works.

Normally the specs of the Mac Pro are good to last for 5+ years. Just try to get an Apple Care. Sometimes when a refresh is coming up, Apple Resellers would bring down the price of the current old models provided they still have stocks left. Normally Mac Pros come in limited quantities and Dealers keep quantities that enable them to have almost zero stocks left when the refresh comes in.

20. robertbrian23

robertbrian23 Member

the base model of the mac pro is the only expensive one. usually mac consumer users that wants OS X plus expandability would be their main computer which iMac lacks. something like a Mac Semi pro which has i7 quad core. hope it would come true. not sure on which one to buy once the new models came out.