Mac Pro + SSD

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by enshong, Jul 1, 2012.

1. enshong

enshong Well-Known Member

Does anybody know where I can get a 2.5" to 3.5" hard drive converter/adapter locally? So I can put an SSD on my MP. :)

2. v8designstudio

Oh mann... I have 4 of these a long time ago, was selling them, but there were no takers, so I just modded the other workstations, there is only 1 store i know that sells these locally - about 6k. I'll check if they have any more. PM your contact if you want.

3. andrew_o_o

andrew_o_o Member

check tipidpc. i have a hunch some of the pc modders (like camshow and tantric) there might have something alone the lines of what you're looking for. i am in no way affiliated with them, but i have bought some stuff from them before. i dont think they'll be expensive tho (being just simple pieces of metal)

4. enshong

Thanks for the quick responses guys. :)

@andrew_o_o, I was able to check camshow and he does have some brackets for SSDs and quite cheap.

But I found out that I can simply plug the SSD pala directly in the optical drive bays! And since it's an SSD anyway, I can just leave it sitting on the carriage. Thanks anyway for the suggestions! :)

5. cybersniper

cybersniper Well-Known Member

I'm wondering what brand of SSD you have... how old it is... and where did you get it...

because almost all SSDs now have brackets included when you buy them.

6. enshong

Oooh, I feel stupid. It does come with a bracket under the foam packaging. I thought that was just cardboard. O_O

I still put it on the SSD and just shoved the whole thing on the empty optical bay without screwing anything in the end though. :D But now I have a spare optical drive (the stock Superdrive). :/

7. v8designstudio

Dear Enshong,

Can you really put an SSD on a MacPro without a carriage bay? Plugged directly? just like that?... I'll be damned.. Can you post photos please? I'd like to put 4 SSD drives on all 4 HD slots and I can't seem to visualize how this can be done.

8. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

I've seen a photo on the Net of an SSD *sitting by the dock of the bay*. ;) Optical bay, that is.

SSD na squatter. ;)

9. v8designstudio

Hihihi.. i couldn't figure it out until you mentioned squatter, now it makes sense. Whew! I thought i was dumb enough to buy those 6k carriages. I'll post pics soon for other users who doesn't want clever DIY prototypes on their boxes.

10. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

I fell in love once again after our office upgraded my octocore 2.4ghz Macpro with 500gb Apple SSD. Im still stoked currently using this machine.

FYI: As we checked it out, its indeed an Apple rebranded Samsung SSD. Next pump it up with 32gb RAM

11. enshong

Oh my.. Sorry I wasn't able to reply. I haven't been online here for a while. The optical drive carriage has area for 2 optical drives, right? There are 2 SATA cables there and 1 of them is connected to the factory superdrive and you can put anything on the second cable. I just plugged my SSD on the free SATA cable and let it sit on the carriage. :D The SSD has no moving parts anyway and you wouldn't be moving the Mac Pro frequently so there should be no problem.

Here's a pic of it. Sorry, just used a cheap phone. :) DVD drive on top, SSD at the bottom.

[​IMG]

12. MacSonic 779

MacSonic 779 Member
    Supporter

Thanks Enshong for the pics. Give us more SSD options.

13. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic Well-Known Member

14. VicB

VicB Well-Known Member

I'm considering to upgrade my Mid 2010 MacPro's HDD to a 250GB SSD. Amazon has 3 Crucial SSD's on offer: BX100 ($90), MX200 ($100) & M500 ($130). The BX & MX have data transfer rates of 600 MB/sec while the M has 6(GB?). The hardware interface of the X models is sata 6 gb/s while M has sata 3 gb.

As I don't want to buy a drive that's overspec for my MP, which is most cost-effective?

@enshong, are you able to boot from your SSD with it connected from your optical drive carriage?

TIA for any comments / advice.

15. MacSonic 779

MacSonic 779 Member
    Supporter

Hi VicB. If I may chime in to your inquiry. I once installed a Samsung 256g SSD in the optical drive carriage for a client in his office on his classic Mac Pro and boots fine using OSX Snow Leopard years ago. Your SSD should be able to boot if installed in your optical drive carriage. I also installed a mechanical HD in my optical drive carriage and boots fine like any HD in the drive bay of the classic Mac Pro. I am using a Multi-Mount bracket from OWC purchased from Ynzal Mkt. All in all I have 7 storage HDs installed including the blade SSD at the PCIe slot.

[​IMG]

16. VicB

VicB Well-Known Member

@MacSonic, thanks for the comments/suggestions. If I was to install an SSD via optical drive carriage (or even via a 2.5">3.5" adapter to one of the HDD bays), do I have to "TRIM" the drive? Not that I know what "TRIM" is but I see it being mentioned especially in the Portables thread when discussing SSDs. Sorry for the noob questions.

17. MacSonic 779

MacSonic 779 Member
    Supporter

Hi VicB Welcome and happy to share some info. No problem on the noob questions, I also ask noob questions sometimes. It is recommended that you use Trim on your SSDs if they are installed in either the optical bay or in the HDD bay drives. Trim helps in prolonging the life of SSDs. As you write to your SSD for prolonged periods of time, there are some "garbage files" that are left over and Trim cleans this up. For mechanical HDs, you don't need Trim. Just a heads up, I read somewhere that Yosemite, whenever there are new OSX updates installed, the update disables Trim and you need to enable it. This article might help.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/os-x-yosemite-and-third-party-ssds-heres-what-you-need-to-know/

About your other question on Crucial SSDs, which is more cost efficient I am not sure of the answer. I have not gotten to use Crucial. I think the bigger storage space, the better though more expensive. Thanks : )

VicB likes this.
  18. VicB

VicB Well-Known Member

@MacSonic, many thanks for the info!