LTO license plate and registration issues

Discussion in 'General OT' started by ransom, Jul 2, 2014.

1. ransom

ransom PhilMUG Addict Member

2. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

re: LTO license plate and registration issues (was LTO bans plate covers and accessories)

When I posted a photo of the awesome looking new plate being issued with a clear plastic plate cover my friend who owns a car dealership immediately messaged me on Facebook that this isn't allowed.anymore.

I for one am glad they're taking this seriously. What's the point of plate numbers if they'll just be hidden?

Or is it a carry over from our cultural practice of covering things in plastic... like say the sofa?

[​IMG]

3. DON2003

DON2003 PhilMUG Addict Member

re: LTO license plate and registration issues (was LTO bans plate covers and accessories)

thats why I saw so many cars being flagged down, may be they are milking money out of it,
    it means all plate even old car has to remove the cover now?

4. docnico

docnico PhilMUG Addict Member

Is this official? I think it is just a misinterpretation of the law. The article itself is filled with contradictions. The memo states that the ban covers those which "impede the visibility of the plate". How can a clear plastic impede the visibility of a plate? It's just there for protective purposes (similar to a clear crystal case for an iPhone). Can anyone link to the official ABS-CBN or LTO announcement regarding this and not just a blog?

If this is indeed true, looks like someone from LTO is just after some quick bucks.

5. manerdie

manerdie Active Member

I dont see anything wrong with plate covers/holders as long as your plate number is visible.
    What i'm against - the tilted plate and the dark/black plate cover

I use the plate holder with clear cover because the registration sticker started to fade after 3mos
    Not to mention my very own plate(rizal design plate)...

#5 manerdie, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  6. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

AFAIK, LTO already made a statement that clear acrylic / glass covers are all included in this ban.

in some ways, yes, they do impede in the visibility and reflectivity of the plate:

Glass - gives you too much glare at times, that you cant see the plate right away... makes you need to tilt your head to see it clearly.

Acrylic - gets dull overtime... gets blurred

However, there are lots of other problems concerning vehicles that they should look into instead of this. Even Ray Charles could see that this is just a "money making" move they're into.

7. pels_17

pels_17 Well-Known Member

They adapted the same policy here in the US, even clear plastics are not allowed.

8. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

I am ok removing any sort of cover or lens, but they should've at least allow us the use of a frame. Most cars have protruding plates in front. A crossing pedestrian can snag it and ruin the plate or even get hurt.

9. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member

Yup, I also have a frame for the same reasons. The frame does not impede the visibility of the plate whatsoever. Oh well, might as remove it. No point arguing with these idiots that can't even produce registration stickers that WE pay for.

10. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

Same here in Canada.

We're only allowed to have plate frames as long as it doesn't cover any particular piece of the plate like the month and year of registration, or even the number and letters on the plate itself.

Anything that covers the plate fully, be it clear, smoked or tinted by any color is also prohibited as it sometimes negates effectivity of the speed and red light cameras here.

I think the newly-enacted law should be OK, as long as they explain fully to the public where it starts, what it covers, and when it ends.

11. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

I am glad that special car plates / commemorative plates are banned over 12 months ago. I really see no reason why a plate that says "LAWYER" "NBI" "PNP" "LTO" BARANGAY CAPT" "CONGRESS" etc etc are allowed. They only serve to embolden the driver of the vehicle to act recklessly and intimidate those who are impressed with such titles. It also bypassed the color coding scheme.

There are a lot of things I wish LTO could do better like say issue a plate number the same day the car was approved for purchase. What's the point of the conduction sticker? Do other countries do this conduction sticker thing? Just assign a plate number to the car once it gets to the dealership.

Make it tougher to get a driver's license. A driver's license isn't a right but a privilege. And "poverty" is not an excuse for mediocrity unless this is the Filipino way.

asyl likes this.
  12. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

you know, that's why, it's called VANITY plates...because yeah they're vain (as Carly Simon would say so...)

13. ransom

ransom PhilMUG Addict Member

I wonder if any LTO enforcer would ever have the guts to accost the driver of, say, an Escalade, for this sort of violation. Or for any sort of violation for that matter.

14. tapnclick1940

tapnclick1940 PhilMUG Addict Member

I use a clear acrylic cover, and a cheap one at that only because I want extra reinforcement so the plate does not bend easily. As Top Gear would put it "mahihipan lang ng hangin yupi na."

Maybe I'll just put it behind the plate.

15. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

I decided to remove the clear acrylic covering my license plates. Mahirap na.

At first I don't see why even clear covers are banned, but as explained above, they can still impede from seeing the number because of glare etc. And my acrylic covers are indeed dull and full of scratches now.

16. polyx

polyx Member

i also removed the acrylic covers and placed it at the back of the plate for support, so it still has a use

17. deepblue

deepblue Active Member

What is a third plate sticker? Where is it found?

18. alanis_junkie

alanis_junkie Well-Known Member

at first I also questioned why they are banning clear covers, but last night while at the parking lot, I noticed a lot of cars already have theirs removed. when I was about to approach my car I noticed that at a certain angle I can't really see my plate no. compared to the ones I passed by. coz of the cover's width, it may be thin but still impedes the readability.

19. DON2003

DON2003 PhilMUG Addict Member

if the plates are thicker and better made, then no one would waste money to buy a cover, problem is our plates are thinner than a tin can, sometime it broke when folded and it fades overtime,
    those aluminum hand crafted made in Bulacan are better built than LTO's, they should hire the bulacanos to hammer plates for them instead, may be cheaper pa

20. bender

bender Member

I removed mine today. I hate the law but I hate being taken advantage of by unscrupulous law enforcers more than anything.

I still see lots of motorcycle drivers with no helmet or counterflowing. they should work on that more.