Let us meet at our place: September 12, 2017 event

Discussion in 'AppleTalk' started by denpacs, Sep 1, 2017.

1. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm..probably in the next iteration of X.

2. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

I thought about that too, but it's the tradeoff I am willing to take, to shrink the phone without shrinking the screen. Besides, what does one do after unlocking an iPhone with Touch ID? Look at the screen. Face ID is 2-in-1 motion.

Price-wise, I used to get iPhones with the largest storage capacity. So $1000 was not out of the ordinary for max memory. But with cloud storage and services, I do not store music locally anymore. Photos/videos are synced with the cloud too, so I need less iPhone storage. I can live with $999 64GB, since I have more budget than the CHR. :D

Sunil_K, lsalapare, SE20 and 5 others like this.
  3. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

True. It's like they made the 8 to transition from 7 but deep inside they want more people to go for the X, for an extra $300+.

And they made sure to release the X in time for the 10th anniversary.

But how I wish I can have an iPhone I can use for longer than a couple of years. Getting tired of having to move up to a "newer" model while my current one is still working fine. Dream on. At my age, I guess I should know better than to think this way, hahaha....

I guess that's how the tech world evolves.

Will wait for the new iPhone contract offers to be announced in the local telcos here... #sucker

#83 Mykolant, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Sunil_K and courtside3 like this.
  4. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...not sure about the utility of a bezel-free screen, started by the Androids then followed by Apple. In my case, I usually type in landscape mode (using my two thumbs). So, it doesn't bother me if my iPhone 7 Plus has a bigger bezel than the iPhone X (part of my hand covers the left and right part of the screen anyway). The extra screen real estate in a smaller frame is a definite plus for viewing content. Bigger for me is the extra 2 hours battery life over the 7 and the wireless charging. The biggest attraction is the camera improvements. As for the price, it is on the expensive side, on paper. Need hands-on first to see if it is worth the premium.

5. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic Well-Known Member

Why not that do that? Apple is the only smartphone brand that does system software updates for any of their devices for more than 4 years and 10 months.

My friend still uses his iPhone 4S and it's more than 5 years and 11 months old. Last time it got updated was August 25, 2016. I do not expect him to upgrade until his phone gets lost or broken.

Only reason I am buying the iPhone X is because my contract will end before November and I always want the best camera available.

I have a Nexus 6P which I bought outright back in 2015 and I am not switching it until it gets lost or broken.

6. mree

mree Active Member

The gold iPhone 8/8Plus is very beautiful.

7. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Face ID is so lame on the iPhone...but it does work seamlessly with Microsoft's Surface devices...

Lame because how the hell could I fit my entire face on an iPhone screen??? Will it open on half a face??? Or will I have to move the screen farther away and look like some jerk doing so???

Whatever I am sure someone heartless will gift me an X, not that I need one but surely because they would just like to spite me (see my 2nd para)

Sunil_K and rflores like this.
  8. mauwrr

mauwrr Member

I am hoping iPhone X is not limited so I can jump from 6s at the right time!

9. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

"AirPower will be available next year."

"In the meantime, for the first time ever, we're streaming live the performance appraisal meeting with the head of the AirPower team, who missed the deadline for launching it today."

10. duke

duke Member

Same with me, I'll be jumping from my 6S+.

11. Netskipper

Netskipper Well-Known Member

There was a small face id fail.

Some people are saying that it was just powered on so it was requiring a passcode much like touch id but others are making a big deal out of it. Either way, its here and Apple will definitely make it work

I was following the leaks and it was reported that Apple was trying to get touch id to work through the screen but decided against it back in July so it was removed completely from the X. If they had more time, they would implement it and I suspect the next iteration of X would have a touch id sensor on the screen.

One thing im curious about is if the wireless charging will work with a case installed.

raypin likes this.
  12. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

There was no mention of it so more likely it wont.

13. ronnel0918

ronnel0918 PhilMUG Addict Member

I still wonder why they skipped the S versions.

14. wattleferdz

wattleferdz Active Member

mulling over which iPhone to get: 8Plus or X. haay! how iPhone evolved like this? Dati we only have to choose which color to purchase. Then which size and to take. Ngayon, which version and color to buy! Dati 1 lang ang version, naging 2, ngayon 3 na! Baka next year 4 na!

15. Mykolant

I do see your point. The old units still work -- text, calls, camera, internet, apps, etc. -- but our usage gets more sophisticated that it requires it to be more efficient. And the slowness of the old units won't do anymore. So, we upgrade to match our usage habits. A never-ending cycle. The silver lining is that you can always pass on your old units to family members, or sell them elsewhere.

16. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

This isn't just your usual Face ID, it's a bit more advanced due to the dot projector system. Some of the press who did hands on showed you don't even have to have the phone in front of you, it can detect your face from an angle (on a table for example).

Leo

17. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

Naah, for people who use TouchID they see this message often. The press who tried it saw it worked well naman.

Leo

18. yoh_hectic

Dude you just want a new toy.

I upgrade because I want a better camera and I'm out of contract.

19. yoh_hectic

Marketing.

Samsung has the S8 and note 8.

The iPhone 8 is actually the 7s

20. Mykolant

It's more than a toy to me.

I make sure I make full use of the phone until it can't be used anymore. Hence, turning the old one into a hand-me-down. I still have my old 4s except that I can't use it coz it's Smart-locked. Can turn it into an iPod, though.

Was planning to get a point-and-shoot camera, and a new Macbook. I guess the X can cover my needs, for now, hehehe...

I'm due for a contract renewal anyway so might as well get the latest model.

#justifypamore