Keyboard Protector for my macbook is worth it?

Discussion in 'Third-party Accessories' started by markandapps, Nov 23, 2016.

1. markandapps

markandapps Member

I'm planning to buy a keyboard protector for my macbook. Do you own one? Is it worth it? Is there significant or insignificant difference when typing with a keyboard protector? Does it really protect against dust and accidental water spills? Thank you. Btw I'm planning to buy online to candy Shield.

2. cybersniper

cybersniper Well-Known Member

^Forget it... this is one of the most regretted accessories.

3. Kleithxx

Kleithxx Active Member

I use one, brand is JRC and I bought it at BTB Vmall. It is very thin saka almost transparent siya. :) I use this because I dont want my keyboard to have marks lalo na yung oil. Hindi halata yung akin, parang walang keyboard protector though candy shield I know they sell yung colored ones. Ok naman to use it if you really want to :)

markandapps likes this.
  4. kenobiz

kenobiz Active Member

Not worth it, just buy microfiber cloth to clean your keyboard

5. pochiman

pochiman PhilMUG Addict Member

same brand as the one i just got for my Macbook 12"! BTB doesn't carry the trusty Moshi KB protector anymore according to the Century City Mall branch i got this from. seems just as trusty and works just as nicely! very slim indeed! around 700php.

6. Kleithxx

Kleithxx Active Member

Yup! Got it for 700 as well when I first got my 12"! Hehe never removed it since then :)

7. trigo

trigo Well-Known Member

i agree, i find it hard to type on plastic.

8. markandapps

markandapps Member

Thank you so much for the answers. Sadly, BTB doesn't sell accessories online. Just redirects a particular brand to their website.

9. arkaell

arkaell Active Member

If you're not prone to spills and you typically work indoors, I won't suggest it.

10. markandapps

markandapps Member

I like to work outdoors and eat while I'm on my macbook. A sign pointing I sure need a keyboard protector.

11. essay

essay Active Member

I used to have one for my iMac and my MBP until it got worn out and the colors turned from transparent to frosty.

I didn't buy a replacement after that.

I find it useless. And the typing not pleasant.

12. piedad

piedad Well-Known Member

I use the Moshi and I like it and find it necessary. Why? Because the letters on my keyboard started to fade after about 6 months. I had to escalate the issue to Apple Singapore before they agreed to replace the keyboard. After replacement, to be sure, I put the protector. No regrets.
    Also, the keyboard is prone to catching little bits of dirt and crumbs and when they get inside, hard to remove and it may affect the bounce of an already shallow keyboard. That is the other benefit of having the protector.
    Must buy for the Macbook 12 IMHO

markandapps likes this.
  13. cybersniper

cybersniper Well-Known Member

and if I may add, buying too much "protective" accessories like these is just depriving yourself of the true Mac experience and just preserving the unit for the next owner... It will depreciate overtime anyway, regardless if it's still like brand new when by the time you sell it. And you couldn't be sure if the next owner would take care of it the same way you did (should you hand them down).

Ravenmd and Qin Zhi like this.
  14. karlkalabaaaw

karlkalabaaaw New Member

Don't these keyboard protectors leave marks on the screen?

15. ivin

ivin Active Member

yes they do, that why i stopped using them.

16. Sheryl.

Sheryl. Active Member

No need for protector. It feels good to type and feel the keyboard naked.

And Macbook's keyboard is sturdy enough for constant typing. Never had problems.

17. vrl29

vrl29 Member

Yes, they leave marks on the screen, so I stopped using them.

I bought one previously for use on an MBA, and after quite some time the marks started to appear. The MBA has a bigger space between the screen and keyboard than the rMBP, so it would follow that the smaller space of the rMBP and the new MBP would be a problem for this accessory.

There is also an apple article that advises against the use of palm rest or keycap covers on a MacBook Pro with Retina display.

Qin Zhi likes this.
  18. mokmoki

mokmoki Well-Known Member

i still feel it's worth it, because the macbook keys get shiny really quickly. and yes it leaves marks on the screen that's why i remove it everytime i shut down. it fits nicely in the pockets of my macbook sleeve, so no biggie.

this question is really a matter of preference, hehe. i personally want my devices to remain as close to stock as possible, that's why i use a keyboard protector. it's the only accessory i use on my macbook - i don't have any skins, or hard shell cases, or screen protectors. just the one for my keyboard.

19. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

I use a Moshi keyboard protector, and insert a piece of thin freezer paper before I close the lid, to prevent smudging.

20. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

weren't these only useful during the days of the iBook or the white macbook, that were notorious for gathering gunk on the areas near the track pad? with the entry of the aluminum bodies for macbooks, the protectors do not appear relevant anymore. besides, they also created heat issues with the old MBs; not sure if those issues still persist.