iTunes Extras now on Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by PatrickGaerlan, Jul 12, 2014.

1. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Finally, we can access iTunes Extras for HD movies on the Apple TV. Previously, the only way to get them on the Apple TV is to AirPlay them from iTunes on a Mac.

The new iTunes Extras play from the cloud, so new videos and features can be added regularly.

In my case, I can get the new iTunes Extras interface for supported movies on my Apple TV, but only if I play movies from the Movies -> Top Movies, Genres, and Search sections. It won't work if I play the movie from the Movies -> Purchased section or via Home-Sharing from an iTunes Library on a networked Mac. I'm wondering if that's really how it works now or if it's just me.
    [​IMG]

2. pels_17

pels_17 Well-Known Member

^it works for me both ways. Im glad that they made the iTunes Extras accessible in the Apple TV now, it was such a headache to only access it in a Mac. Currently I only have 27 movies and out of that, 14 has iTunes Extras.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. PatrickGaerlan

Staff Member

Good to know it's working from the Purchased section, I guess I just need check my setup. Are you using Home-Sharing? Do you have downloaded copies of iTunes Extras on a Mac on your network?

4. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

I do. Downloaded from Blu-Ray digital copies, both Ultraviolet or iTunes versions, from the disc or from the studios's websites. May I now delete them to save on HDD space?

5. PatrickGaerlan

Staff Member

Yup, you can delete the old iTunes Extras. The first time you click on the "iTunes Extras (Original Version)" label under the title in the movie's info page you'll be asked if you want to delete the old iTunes Extras. If you select yes, it'll delete the downloaded file and the label "iTunes Extras (Original Version)" should disappear. Take note, this'll only work for movies that support the new iTunes Extras (indicated by the blue iTunes Extras logo).

[​IMG]

6. lamski

lamski Well-Known Member

If you delete your downloaded iTunes extras, that would mean you have to stream the new content which might affect your viewing experience if you've got a slow internet connection. I hope they allow you to retain the original iTunes extras and add a new link for the streaming version.

7. PatrickGaerlan

Staff Member

Yup, you can choose not to delete the original iTunes Extras. If you want to play the streaming version, play the movie normally or click on the blue iTunes Extras logo. If you want to play the original, downloaded iTunes Extras, just click on the "iTunes Extras (Original Version)" label :)

8. pels_17

I don't use home-sharing. What is home-sharing in terms of the Apple TV functionality? I just stream movies directly from the Apple TV, no downloaded movies from a Mac. My internet connection is 30mbps by the way.

9. PatrickGaerlan

Staff Member

@pels_17 Home-Sharing lets you play locally stored iTunes content on the Apple TV. I prefer to download the movies to iTunes on a Mac mini on the network and basically use it as an iTunes media server.

EDIT: BTW, I'm already able to get the new iTunes Extras interface from the Purchased section -- it turns out that it was only one of the Apple TVs that was having issues. It worked well after doing a reset on that particular unit.

10. pels_17

I can see that I have much to learn about the hidden powers of the iTunes. :) So home sharing is the solution for slow internet connection?

11. PatrickGaerlan

Staff Member

Yup, I guess Home Sharing is the best answer if you want to watch iTunes movies on a 2nd or 3rd gen Apple TV over a slow Internet connection :)

Setting up Home Sharing for Apple TV (2nd generation and 3rd generation)

12. lamski

lamski Well-Known Member

I got to play the new iTunes Extras on my Apple TV last night and I can say that the quality is quite good on my 3 MBPs DSL connection.