Is my passport considered damaged?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by shakra00, Oct 10, 2016.

1. shakra00

shakra00 Member

I'm just a little worried. Do you guys think that my passport is damaged? The front page got folded and as you can see in the attached picture.

I'm just worried that I will be denied to fly due to this. Has anyone has a worse looking passport but still got through immigration?

Passport fold.jpg

2. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mmm.... possibly invalid.

Theus likes this.
  3. dasaint

dasaint Well-Known Member

Lets have the experts handle this by going to DFA and If they say its ok , also if they can issue you a letter just incase.

4. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mmm....in the video interview of the DFA official, he clearly said that a folded passport is considered as mutilated. My advice, based on that info, is to have your passport replaced rather than risking rejection by immigration authorities abroad (assuming our immigraton will even allow its use). If that happens, the expense of being denied entry will far, far outweigh the cost of a replacement passport.

ericb likes this.
  5. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Any crease, clip, fold, deterioration, tear or even a slight scratch on the passport, particularly the main ID page, will be considered as damage because the scanner will likely record an error, and if there is an error then the passport holder will likely be denied exit and/or entry, be invited for questioning, and/or be blacklisted depending on the circumstances of their questioning...

Better have it as @raypin says...

raypin likes this.
  6. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

there is also a security/info chip embedded in the passport cover. if that has been compromised, then you may need to get a replacement.

hitme64 likes this.
  7. ron27

ron27 Member

I had this exact problem early this year. The fold is fine as long as the plastic laminate doesn't detach from the page.

I was able to fly out of NAIA and got into US Immigration without any question about the crease.

If you want to be sure, you can visit the DFA to ask if you need to replace your passport or not.

8. Cgltwo

Cgltwo New Member

Hi guys i had the same issue any updates on this? Thank you in advance.

9. MFD888

MFD888 Member

Ang arte naman for a third world country kung ganun lang sa picture above, considered mutilated na! Anyway, my brother had a more worse passport condition than that, nakakaalis naman. I think, tampered, tearing and detached page/s dapat. Normal wear typical na yan in normal use, although dapat ingatan naman kahit papano.

10. MFD888

MFD888 Member

So is it resolved now since you said "had the same issue"?

11. Cgltwo

Cgltwo New Member

Kahapon ko lang to to nabasa. Upon discovering thay my passport 1st page has been folded. Hindi ko alam kung pwde pa yung passport ko.

12. JAO

JAO Member

There are security features in the passport. Let DFA check it first.

13. Abegail

Abegail New Member

I have this little scratch at the back of my passport cover. Is this consider damage? Im planning to apply visa in japan. I'm scared i might get denied by this.

Attached Files:

14. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

You should be okay. I’ve seen far worse.

15. imart

imart Active Member

I'm curious if this could pass through an automated clearance system just like the one used here at Changi Airport without prompting an officer's attention.

Sidenote: my machine-readable passport was soaked wet under a dripping hotel aircon during my recent trip. I'm so glad that it's high-grade and served its purpose flawlessly after simple air-drying. All of the pages are unaffected, no smudges, no impact to the main ID page.

16. Lala0309

Lala0309 New Member

hi guys, is this consider damage passport? nasira kasi ung gilid salamat po sa pagsagot.
    1150D891-FE2F-4D3C-BFAB-000B0232A732.jpeg
    4FD1913D-8D98-494B-AC33-4626E7E36E21.jpeg

Attached Files:

17. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

I think that should be okay as long as the internal data is intact. I’ve seen worse passports being used.

18. DON2003

DON2003 Well-Known Member

its too hard to judge, but if you are not in rush to use it, better have it replaced to avoid any problem on your travel,
    the judgement on validity of the passport is depend on the immigration officer unless its unreadable by the reader, even our local immigration allow you to travel out the country and told you it will be accepted by other countries, you still have to decide yourself,
    some countries like US and sensitive EU countries that not very much welcome our passport makes any excuse to deny entry, this might be one of their reasons to pick on,
    just my 2 cents

19. Lala0309

Lala0309 New Member

thank you for you reply. too make sure, i’ll go to main office on monday.