is iPhone 5s still worth it to buy???

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod Touch' started by jyyr12, Nov 30, 2016.

?

Still Worth it?

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    87.5%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jyyr12

jyyr12 New Member

Any opinion guys?

2. pochiman

pochiman PhilMUG Addict Member

i'd say yes! i still use one pending the arrival of my 7Plus by way of Globe.

i just haven't updated it beyond iOS 8 for fear of it slowing down. if you can live on 16gb and can wait for iPhone 8's release next year, the 16gb 5S CPOs are sold aplenty in malls as of late at a very good price.

3. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

Got an SE to replace my 5s

4. jcsantamarina

jcsantamarina Buzz Ambassador
    Staff Member

Hi @jyyr12 and welcome to Philmug!

IMHO, the best way to get solid answers to this question is for us to know what you intend to use it for and where will you be coming from?

For example, a couple of months ago I thought the SE would be an ok phone for my purposes since it is fast enough and updated enough to handle my day to day needs, but unfortunately, coming from a 5 inch screen, I found its screen size too small already when I got to try it out at the store. So I opted for an S7 Edge that would be given as my free phone.

So to clarify your question, is it worth it for what purpose and is it worth it compared to what other phone you may have in mind?

5. mysterio

mysterio PhilMUG Addict Member

As with any phone (be it an old or newest generation iPhone, Android, Windows phone or Blackberry), the answer to that question lies in the usage case for the phone. The iPhone 5S is a capable phone though and with the release of the iPhone 7/7+ would probably be a few thousand cheaper now.

jcsantamarina likes this.
  6. Kiko

Kiko Well-Known Member

i won't. Screen size is way to small for me. Ill just get a an Android with a bigger screen. I guess I'm getting older and prefer bigger fonts :)

jcsantamarina likes this.
  7. makinao

makinao Active Member

CONS:
    1) Battery life is not that great. Heavy users will need a power bank to get through the day.
    2) Most probably won't be compatible with next year's iOS 11.
    3) Relatively small screen by today's standards.

PROS:
    1) Cheapest iPhone. 16gb model under 13k in CMK
    2) Can still handle iOS 10.
    3) Small and light in one's pocket, and great for one-handed operation.

So if your budget is very tight and need an iPhone right now, the 5s OK. But if you can cough up 7k more, the SE is the one to get.

8. supahdende

supahdende Well-Known Member

It's still fast on iOS 10, give it a try! My only issue with the iPhone 5s is the small screen and the small RAM. Most apps reload when you switch back from another app.

9. pochiman

pochiman PhilMUG Addict Member

thanks for the real world confirmation amigo! this helps weed out my doubts. i'll be updating mine to iOS 10 now.