iPod Classic vs iPod Touch (5th Gen)

Discussion in 'Non-iOS iPods' started by pels_17, Jul 21, 2014.

1. pels_17

pels_17 Well-Known Member

I have an iPod Touch 5th gen 32gb, but I'm contemplating on getting an iPod Classic. Which of the two has a better sound quality?

I've had an iPod Classic before but eventually sold it before we left the Philippines, I just want to know if there's a difference with the sound quality of the two. One disadvantage I think I'll have if I give up my iPod Touch over a Classic is that my iTunes Match subscription will be useless with the Classic, then again I still have my iPhone and iPad Air.

#1 pels_17, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  2. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mmm..many consider the iPod Classic as the best "MP3" player that Apple has come up with. Based on personal use, I am also of the same opinion. It really depends: if you are tethered to iTunes and its services, the iPod Touch will serve you better but if you intend to source your music elsewhere (including high definition tracks), the iPod Classic is the better fit (for your needs). In addition to better sound quality (how much better over the iPod Touch is, of course, debatable), the 160 GB capacity will more than suffice to handle even the most robust music collection. Also, long battery life is an added bonus. On the downside, the interface is not as convenient as the iPod Touch and it is less flexible (no games, no apps). Bottom line: iPod Classic is my reco.

3. pels_17

Thank you @raypin. I went to Best Buy and traded my iPod Touch for an iPod Classic. I also bought a FiiO E18 from eBay.

4. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

Get both which is what I did. The classic as extra storage for music; & the iPod touch for its other features. I'm still waiting for the day when the IPod touch's storage space gets bigger. Or when our telcos' streaming services no longer require us to lug portable player/storage devices around

5. pels_17

Will wait for iPod Touch with 128gb or more capacity, but this iPod Classic will stay for good until it conks out.

6. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Hmmm, tough question...

But here's some things you may want to consider...

Although the Classic has a bigger memory, it uses a different cable which (for me) is a hassle. Because of this, it's often left during our travels.

iPod Touch will give your Spotify (just save them for off-line listening). Your MP3 collection might sound better, but Spotify's library is just bigger.

Lastly (I'm not sure with the latest Classic) but my Earbud's volume control doesn't work with the classic which requires me to pull out the entire device from my bag just to make adjustments.

7. kapitan88

kapitan88 Member

if for pure music, my to to is the classic; but if its for entertainment (music/games/videos) its iPod Touch. Sound quality of the classic is better if properly matched with a good earphones

8. raypin

mmm.....lol! today, iPod/Fiio/AudioTechnica M50 -----------------> tomorrow, Astell & Kern/Chord Hugo/JH Audio Roxanne. Welcome, my friend, to the world of headfi. :).

9. pels_17

haha. dahan2x lang muna. :)

10. raypin

mmm.....yup, I agree. No need to hurry. The journey is just as important as the destination, the destination being audio nirvana. Happy trails! Right now, I'm listening to the James Bond 50th Anniversary Album through: Laptop/Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies/Audeze LCD X. Soooooo goood.....lol! Kanina, while eating one whole Savory chicken and two rice: playing the Abbey Road Sessions of Kylie Minogue via iPod Classic/Theorem 720/Fitear 334...........sarap! lol!.

11. pels_17

Which A&K would you recommend?haha. Give me a few months, I'll get one of those Theorem 720. lol

12. raypin

mmm.....I've got my covetous eye on the new AK 100 II. The AK240 is just priced too high. But, I'm sticking with my iPod Classic/Theorem 720 combo. Sublime combo specially when paired with a CIEM. Enjoy your equipment first, before upgrading. Darating din yan.

13. PimpDaddyNash

PimpDaddyNash New Member

You may already know this, but the FIIO E18 Kunlun will only be able to serve as a Amplifier for the IPOD Classic. The only way to extract digital signal out of an iPod is to implement the Apple MFi chip in the amp/DAC. This is the case in all the iPods except Touch (also excluding iPhone and iPad via iOS7 + CKK) which you can only get from Apple's licensing. FiiO already applied it a few years ago but Apple refuses to grant them the license, and thus FiiO can not support digital out from iDevices. There is a reason why the few amp/DAC that do have the MFi chip is sold for $500+, simply because it is a very exclusive tech that Apple has so far keep it under very tight grip, and ask for a very high return.

That said, I to prefer the Classic as the Classic 5.5 was the last iDevice that utlized the Wolfson DAC but the FIIO E12 will yeild warmer and better sound for much cheaper.

There is a Mod for the IPOD's by Redwine called IMOD that really take the IPOD Classic to the level of High End Lossless MP3/FLAC portable players by bypassing the Analog circuitry and taking the Signal straight to the Wolfson DAC before sending out to your amplifier or Headphones:

[h=5]Mod improvements over stock iPod[/h]
    • Increased resolution of fine detail
    • Better bass control and definition
    • A richer, more seductive midrange
    • Superior treble extension and sweetness
    • A larger more 3-dimensional soundstage
    [h=5]Product Features[/h]
    • Exclusively for 4th, 5th and 5.5 generation iPods
    • Leverages built-in Wolfson DAC (same DAC used in many pricey CD players)
    • Bypasses iPod’s analog stage that was not designed for audiophile playback

14. pels_17

My E18 is here :)
    [​IMG]

15. raypin

mmm...lookin' good. Buble rocks!

16. pels_17

Unfortunately, the thing is not charging. The charging indicator blinks, but after a few minutes it stops blinking :(. I Will return the E18 and ask for a refund. Never again FiiO. Thinking of getting the Sony PHA-2 instead and avoid chinese companies, really disappointed. :mad: Is the PHA-2 a good buy?

Update:
    Pikit mata: I ordered the Sony PHA-1, cheaper than the PHA-2.

#16 pels_17, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  17. raypin

mmm....I'm not familiar with the PHA-1 but, per specs, the DAC chip is a Wolfson, a good performer. Also, with the LOD (line-out dock), the PHA can process out of your iPod Classic high-definition tracks up to 24-bit, 48 Khz., more if you use the PHA-1 with your Mac and/or PC (your Surface Pro 2). Sony, of course, is a world-class brand so fret not about the quality or performance.

18. pels_17

That's what I read too, it has the ability to bypass the internal DAC of iDevices (including my iPod Classic) :)