iPhone Naked?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod Touch' started by infiniteloop, Jan 1, 2017.

1. infiniteloop

infiniteloop Active Member

I just got my 7+ matte black 256gb earlier and I'm planning to rock this very expensive phone NAKED**.
    Any muggers tried this before? I don't want to hide sana this beautiful phone.

Please post your experience here. Thanks!

**Naked = no case / no screen protector / no skins / no protection etc.

2. mysterio

mysterio Well-Known Member

Other than the Jet Black, the rest of the finishes seem to hold up pretty well from what I've read and viewed.

3. cHad

cHad Member

I have the matte and i placed it inside a clear case for the added grip. It is too slippery for my hands when naked. Plus i want to prevent scratches as much as possible.

4. Edelheid

Edelheid Active Member

I've never used any screen protector, but my Jet Black is in the nude 90% of the time. It's grippy without a case which is one of the benefits of using this finish. I only ever use a leather case (at this point they're really more like clothes than for protection to me) when I want to change the aesthetics of my phone. Like the OP mentioned, the phone is too beautiful to try and hide inside a case, but sometimes I do want to see a new face so the shiny black finish doesn't wear out too quickly for my eyes. :p

Still no scratches, cosmetic damage after seven weeks of constant use.

#4 Edelheid, Jan 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    Anmi likes this.
  5. ChampsÉlysées

I have the iP7 Matte Black. And from time to time, i'd use it naked.

Anmi and infiniteloop like this.
  6. jesusluison

jesusluison Active Member

sayang... best to get some sort of thin clear case for the unit... :)
    no need for a Tempered Glass screen protector...
    Just a thin clear case for the body :)

7. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^And I thought we were suppose to be GP here :barefoot:

8. pochiman

pochiman PhilMUG Addict Member

apart from Peel, would a Power Support branded case be akin to a near naked iPhone 7?

9. oagala

oagala Member

IP7 matte black holder here. Naked since purchase two months ago. Dropped numerous time by my kids while playing with it, situated inside my pocket jeans/slacks sometimes with car keys and coins, still no scratches. Used it to take pictures at Oslob Whale Watching both over and under water, still a beauty.

macjobber and infiniteloop like this.
  10. infiniteloop

infiniteloop Active Member

Just thinking of the countless hours spent by the apple engineers and I'll just cover it with a case? Parang sayang. Well to be fair, i always use bumper cases or the thinnest clear case I can find pero sometimes I use it naked. This time kasi I want to use it naked until next year.

No offense to the case users pero if Im using a case it's like Im protecting my phone for the next owner. Lol

Plus parang it can ruin the iphone experience eh. For me lang naman. Sorry guys

ericb, yammie and Fervish like this.
  11. jlconferido

jlconferido Active Member

I am still using a 5S, and, for me, it is perhaps the best designed iPhone IMO. I use it naked and had a screen protector and clear skin installed.

12. Edelheid

Edelheid Active Member

I don't think it's such an alien concept after having heard and read so many varying opinions over time. Many have admitted the one main reason they go after such lengths to protect an already expensive device is first and foremost to ensure it won't have nil value when the next generation becomes available to the masses. They need to be able to sell their previous gen phone at a decent price so as to help fund their incoming purchase. The phone does lose considerable value over cosmetic faults.

In a way, it is understandable since these phones are pricey after all; and for all we know the main attraction for them is actually the operating system. In that case they are more than capable of exhibiting very little care towards the hardware—they just want to prolong the life of the device in hopes of keeping it for a long time. There's also no other hardware provider if they wish to continue using iOS. As an example, I willingly forked out over 3,000 quid for the new MacBook Pro because it's the only convenient way to avail macOS.

I'm kind of guilty, though, because I did have my iPhone 6s enclosed in a case the majority of its lifetime. Quite frankly the back looked atrocious to me. (Sorry, Jony. :p)
    I only enjoy using my iPhone 7 without a case primarily because to me it's a beautiful craft. It's exactly what I'd hoped the iPhone 6 would be back then.

Anmi and infiniteloop like this.
  13. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm..primary risk: broken screen, dents and scratches from accidental drops and unavoidable scrapes. If you are willing to take that risk to enjoy nude, why not. To significantly mitigate risk, use a phone loop with reusable adhesive (will not leave marks on the phone's surface).

14. mree

mree Active Member

If you can live with a few scratches, go ahead and use your iPhone naked. Careful though, the non jet black finish can be slippery. Give your phone some time, and it'll, eventually, get hairline scratches.

As for me, I use a case most of the time. I enjoy Apple cases. Or sometimes, naked iPhone wrapped in a techsleeve (shoutout to Perry). But that doesn't really qualify for naked, since it's still wrapped when not being used.

15. mysterio

mysterio Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

To each his own I guess. I do it primarily because I want to customize how it looks. The fact that it protects from scratches and dents are an added bonus. There is probably a psychological explanation for this. Even Apple recognizes this, they sell cases too you know. ;)

16. Edelheid

Edelheid Active Member

Well... for one, standing among the richest companies on earth even they have to acknowledge the stark market for cases. Cases are, however, a fitting narrative for the shiny black finish. Perhaps if they ever switch back to using glass it might be even more apt, considering the Pixel rear glass has been reported to break even without an actual drop for god knows what reason. Needless to say, it does shatter at the first smooch with concrete floors and whatnot. (The glass does provide the Pixel w/ better cell reception, though!)

Conspiracy theorists constantly spitting out planned obsolescence will even say this goes against that idea. I mean, why protect the phone, right? It'd be better if it gets destroyed. :coffee:

#16 Edelheid, Jan 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  17. neilrg

neilrg Active Member

My 5s went naked since June last year. Yes it's been getting some scratches/dents here and there but I learned to live with it. The feeling of using a phone without a case is different than with one on. Plus it kind of adds a character to your phone.

But as others have said, to each his own.

18. ivin

ivin Active Member

tried that matte black and jet black naked, so far no problems aside from the jet black being a fingerprint magnet
    matte black should just do fine, the only worry is having you drop the phone which is another story

19. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

My first iPhone (the original one) the iPhone 4s and the iPhone 5 went all completely naked (not even a screen protector). The 3GS needed a case because it was so slippery and the current 6S needed one due to the protruding camera.

Leo

20. cHad

cHad Member

i had an expensive android phone before i switched and that fell off my jacket/lap and into the asphalt when I was getting up from the car seat. In 3 occasions. FML. All of the edges now have dents. The back side also showed several long scratches because I regularly slip it in and out of my front jeans packet. Naked is cool but; as others have said; I want to keep the phone in pristine edition for me or for the other person who will inherit it.