iPhone 8 and 8 Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod Touch' started by Roman, Sep 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member

i just went on the apple phils site, checked out the red iphone 8/+ and its showing that you will get it by the 7th of may

2. Adarna

Adarna Active Member

3. Colossus1973

Colossus1973 Active Member

Westchester County, Salem Center, New York
    Thank you.

4. shiznit

shiznit Member

Good day, anyone experienced after charging your iphone 8 via wireless charger reach only to 80% then tried charging via lightning cable still displays 80%? Thanks.

5. preciousgem

preciousgem Member

I didn't experience this.

I'm still getting my phone charged up to 100% using the wireless charger and/or the lightning cable.

6. shiznit

shiznit Member

Good for you, this might be an isolated case.
    Will observe for now prior having it check with AAP.

7. Don Pao

Don Pao Well-Known Member

Using wireless charger since my 1st week owning the 8plus. No problems here.

What wireless charger are you using?

8. shiznit

shiznit Member

I'm using the spigen wireless charger F302W, this is also being used by my mom in her 8plus but 80% charge only happens to my 8.

9. Josh Jimenez

Josh Jimenez New Member

My 5-month iPhone 8 Plus was diagnosed to have been LIQUID DAMAGED. Beyond The Box is asking me to pay P31,000 for a replacement since liguid damage is not covered by the warranty. I m arguing that since the phone is IP67 rated, water should not have gone inside the unit even if it fell into a pool that is less than 1 meter in depth.

Any thoughts on how I can convince Apple to cover or subsidize the replacement cost?

10. preciousgem

preciousgem Member

I think you're out of luck for this. Waterproof is not synonymous to water-resistant.

Were you able to notice the red indicator that shows up on the sim tray if the phone is liquid damaged? https://support.apple.com/en-ph/HT204104

I think that's their way to already diagnose that the device is liquid damaged. (And there's several more places in the phone to look for red indicators, not just the tray, I think). If that area didn't turn red plus the other areas inside the phone - if there is, then you may be able to convince Apple.

11. Josh Jimenez

Josh Jimenez New Member

My argument is that water should not have gone inside the unit since it should be able to withstand being submerged for less than 10 minutes in less than a minute of water. If water penetrated the unit within the bounds of its IP67 rating, then there must be a manufacturing defect.

12. Don Pao

Don Pao Well-Known Member

Let us know if your able to fix it. btw im using Samsung Fast charger/wireless the one that came bundle with some Galaxy s8

13. preciousgem

preciousgem Member

That would be a long shot to take especially if there's no evidence to prove. The red indicators in any device are oftentimes a showstopper for the technician that was water has creeped inside the device.

Unfortunately liquid damage is not covered by warranty. This is actually true in many devices, not just Apple's.

Fervish likes this.
  14. neilrg

neilrg Active Member

My 8 Plus is doing this ever since I got in November. I’m on the latest update. A reboot sometimes fixes it, sometimes not

15. gtc924

gtc924 Member

I'm up for recontracting and I've been given a list of phones I can choose from based on my plan. It would make sense for me to get the iPhone 8 Plus since I currently have a 6S Plus. I've narrowed down my options to the iPhone 8 Plus, the Samsung S9+ and the Huawei P20 Pro. After reading the reviews and comparisons of those phones, I've taken the P20 Pro off the list because it looks like its only strong point is its camera. So its down to the iPhone 8 Plus and the Samsung S9+.

It would be logical for me to get the iPhone 8 Plus since I'm used to iOS and wouldnt have to learn how to use its features. Based on reviews, its snappy, battery life is good, and the camera is a definite upgrade from the 6S. The Samsung on the other hand would entail more getting used to, I'd have to replace all my cables, etc. Some say it looks better than the iPhone, still has a headphone jack, has expandable memory, and takes great photos. However, based on my previous experience with Samsung phones, they tend to slow down over time. Something I havent experienced with my 6S Plus.

Anyway, I'd like to get your opinion on this guys. I'm almost certain you'd suggest the iPhone 8 Plus (its the name of the thread, haha), but I would like to get your thoughts and suggestions on what would be a better choice in the long run. By the way, the P20 Pro is free, while I'd have to shell out Php 2,400 for a 64Gb S9+, and Php 6,000 for the 64Gb iPhone 8 Plus.

16. ivin

ivin Active Member

Having used both

It would really boil down to your OS preference, android is a lot different from iOS. But they still have their similarities and the learning curve wouldn't be that hard. android ecosystem for me is more versatile and more usable in our country while for apple its more of limited and you have to have certain apple products to expand your ecosystem. So android gets my vote.

Android slowing down would really depend on your usage and the apps you would install, a quick restore would easily remedy that problem. but apple's optimization on iOS is wonderful. So iOS gets my vote.

The iphone 8 design is just outdated, and rumor has it that for the next gen of iphone it would a whole new design. The body to screen ratio on the iphone is jus horrible in my opinion. The specs on the s9 would still be as good in 2 years until your next recontracting. The specs on the iphone is irregardless because of software optimization.
    But hardware and design wise, My vote goes to s9.

And on resale value if you plan on selling your phone, iphones tend to have higher resale values compared to galaxy phones.

gtc924 likes this.
  17. gtc924

gtc924 Member

Great, thanks for that. Right now I’m 50/50. I love how all my gadgets are connected, and I’m going to miss that if I do decide to go with the S9+. Also, Facetime is something I use on a regular basis to keep in touch with my parents (they have to see their new apo almost everyday, hehe). What makes me consider the S9+ is the design. The iPhone 8 Plus is indeed dated, the S9+ is just sexy. The expandable memory and jack too. And of course the camera, which I read takes good low light photos.

Is the quality of photos from the S9+ really that good compared to the 8 Plus?

An option for me would be to keep my 6S Plus for Facetime and games and stuff, and get the S9+ as my primary phone. If I dont like, then I can probably sell it and get an iPhone, hehehe

18. ivin

ivin Active Member

The difference isn't that noticable except on the colors. You can check YouTube reviews for extensive camera compariosns.

If you ever decide on s9 and decide to let go of it. Hit me up. Hehe

gtc924 likes this.
  19. suigeneris

suigeneris Well-Known Member

I've used both as well.

I'd go with your other option. Keep the 6s Plus for your Facetime and ecosystem needs and get the S9+ as a primary phone. Samsung phones do tend to slow down before, but that was before the Note 8 and the S9/S9+. With each iteration, Samsung has learned to keep Touchwiz as simple as possible. I've had my S9+ since launch, and I haven't noticed a slow down. Won't lie to you though, there's going to be a learning curve. A friend of mine used to be exclusively an iPhone guy until he started using the S7. Hasn't looked back and wasn't event enticed by the X.

One thing you have to consider is that the screen of the S9+ is curved on both sides, so it's takes a little more extra care in handling. You will need to invest in a good case and TG (I highly recommend Whitestone Dome glass. Really great quality and it's like you're using the glass on the phone. No issues with sensitivity and feel. It's pricey, but the phone's pricey as well, and since you're the type to switch only every 2 years, it's a really good investment.) A fellow mugger sells them.

Like you said, in case you don't like it, you can always sell it and get an 8 Plus. :)

gtc924 likes this.
  20. jcsantamarina

jcsantamarina Buzz Ambassador
    Staff Member

Got my Product Red version last weekend. Came from a 7Plus and I can noticably feel the better battery performance.

IMG_0029.jpg

@gtc924 I've actually tried out Samsung (my wife won't switch and still loves her Samsung camera) and it was ok, but it wasn't seamless for my needs. I have apps on my iPhone and iPad, a Mac and Airpods that share the entire ecosystem. So one thing to also consider is if you switch, you're not changing cars but more of you're like relocating to a new home. HTH!

jayparalejas and gtc924 like this.