iPhone 7 / 7 Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod Touch' started by sandybridge_guy, Sep 8, 2016.

1. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

Since there isn't an official one, I'll go ahead and make one.

Let it begin :D

suavecito and Sunil_K like this.
  2. sandybridge_guy

These are what we know so far:
    • Customizable, pressure-sensitive, solid state home button that includes "taptic feedback".
    • Yes, Virginia, it will be water-resistant (IP67), like several Samsung and Sony phones (IP68). Cannonballlll!
    • No headphone jack -- Apple EarPods headphones will now connect through the Lightning connector port and new AirPods headset connects wirelessly.
    • The iPhone 7 keeps the 12-megapixel camera, but adds larger aperture and -- this is a big deal -- optical image stabilization that keeps images steadier. (The iPhone 7 Plus gets a second, 56-mm telephoto lens on the back that works like a built-in zoom feature. Phones like the LG V20, Huawei P9 and Huawei Honor 8 have two cameras, too.)
    • 7-megapixel front-facing camera, up from 5-megapixels on the iPhone 6S, and auto-image stabilization (not optical)
    • Apple says its "HD Retina display" is a 25 percent brighter than last year's model. It includes the pressure-sensitive 3D Touch layer that buzzes slightly when you press and hold the screen.
    • It adds a second speaker, aka stereo speakers -- at the bottom and top (this is brand-new for Apple).
    • Greater battery capacity for longer battery life. Apple estimates 12 hours of LTE browsing (the iPhone 7 Plus should clock about two more hours).
    • New A10 Fusion chip is a 64-bit, 4-core processor that Apple says is 40 percent faster than last year's A9 processor. Two cores are high-performance, the other two are "high efficiency," which means they'll conserve battery while handling tasks. Take-away message: deeper visual graphics, especially with gaming. (Did we mention that Super Mario is coming to the iPhone?!?!)
    • 32GB, 128GB, 256GB capacities
    • Colors: Glossy jet black, black, gold, silver, rose gold

• Jet Black is exclusive to 128 and 256 GB models only
    -excerpt from CNET

3. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mmm......jet black 128 gb for me. Also, air pods is a no-brainer accessory. At least, the lightning to analog 3.5 mm is already included to ease the transition.

4. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member

Im surprised they added that with the box. I thought they would charge for that like what they did previously from the regular connector to lightning.

I'll probably get the black 128 or 256 7plus

5. rightnotleft

rightnotleft Member

the jet black is really nice; it makes the phone's metal case and glass as if seamless. though a bit worried if it can withstand scratches...

[​IMG]

6. sandybridge_guy

The Jet Black color seems familiar...

[​IMG]

:D

7. isee12dots

isee12dots Member

its sad but I was expecting wireless charging.

8. rightnotleft

rightnotleft Member

9. Edelheid

Edelheid Active Member

It looks like Black will be the better pick for me solely because of this foot note:

Fullscreen_08_09_2016__03_47.png

"The high-gloss finish of the jet black iPhone 7 is achieved through a precision nine-step anodization and polishing process. Its surface is equally as hard as other anodized Apple products; however, its high shine may show fine micro-abrasions with use. If you are concerned about this, we suggest you use one of the many cases available to protect your iPhone."

I'd wager either of them will look good wearing Apple's leather case in saddle brown. I've been rocking one since the iPhone 6s came out.

#9 Edelheid, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  10. sandybridge_guy

After I had made a fool out of myself squinting while reading that footnote, then I realized that you typed it for proper reading. :(

#lifeishard

ronjet, potpot2 and ArkiJan like this.
  11. isee12dots

isee12dots Member

that sounds like the nope train for me :D

I like my iPhone naked, never been a fan of any cases. I might go for the Matte Black

12. Edelheid

Edelheid Active Member

I dislike cases, too, but this happened to my 6s that remained nude and on my desk all the time. These things started appearing after like two weeks and got worse over time. It has never been dropped nor placed in anywhere but on the surface of my clean desk. I found a Facebook group with a ton of other users experiencing this issue, but Apple isn't giving it any proper attention so it's a lost cause. Meanwhile, my iPhone 6 Plus with a case is pretty much spotless on the back two years later.

I considered getting Jet Black out of concern towards this problem, but scratch and fingerprint magnet sounds mighty worse. :confused:

13. isee12dots

isee12dots Member

that looks awful, my 5s has been naked since I bought it, but I was using a sleeve from powerpee, I lost the sleep just earlier this year and have been putting the naked 5s on my pocket and never encountered issues like that

my girlfriend's iPhone 6 has a cheap back (150 pesos ones) cover but I remove it from time to time to check the back part.

14. Edelheid

Edelheid Active Member

Indeed it does, and it bothers me so much it's inside a casing now most of the time. My 5s has been spotless too; really loved that small device to bits. I think the issue lies in the new material (7000 Series aluminum) they used on the iPhone 6s—I even recall reading somewhere that the drawback of this stronger aluminum is easier scuffing.

The same material is apparently used in the iPhone 7 so I can't throw caution to the wind this time by going naked. :(

15. isee12dots

isee12dots Member

yeah, too bad powerpee does not seem to sell/make sleeves anymore (I am not sure as I was inactive for quite some time).
    I lost my 5s around a month ago, now I am struggling with a cheap android phone and been waiting for the iPhone 7 since then.

16. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

I can see myself looking at an iPhone 7 and then looking back at my SE...seconds later, I go away with my SE on hand...sorry but not yet, not now

ronjet likes this.
  17. Edelheid

Edelheid Active Member

Sorry to hear that!

Since we're not getting the iPhone 7—unless you're willing to dive in early to scratch the itch and order online—anytime soon save one or two more months of waiting, we can hopefully learn something from the early adopters. See just how prone the new phones are to cosmetic damage; it's the make or break for me between Black and Jet Black.

18. isee12dots

isee12dots Member

Im actually hoping for the third party wireless headsets/earphones to come out or a lightning adapter splitter to enable charging and using the EarPods at once. yeah I might be pre order via BTB/DH but ill been keeping an eye on reviews and scratch tests

19. mysterio

mysterio Well-Known Member

Have not seen any of those. Apple, in its infinite wisdom, should have come out with an accessory like this, which probably means it is not possible. There is an existing lightning dock accessory that has a 3.5mm jack and a female lightning port. Not portable at the moment though it demonstrates it could be done.

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MGRM2AM/A/iphone-lightning-dock-white

20. benzng

benzng Active Member