iPad Pro 12.9 VS 9.7

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gogetit, Apr 11, 2016.

1. gogetit

gogetit Member

Hiya all! I am vacillating between an iPad Pro 12.9 VS a 9.7. Which do you think is a better buy? I already have an iMac and a Macbook pro retina. I just want the iPad for bed surfing. TIA

2. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Isn't there a rule that you shouldn't buy a first gen Apple product... :)

3. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Get the 9.7, you'll thank yourself when you lie in bed and feel those arms falling asleep also...

4. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

i do a lot of presentations to prospective clients. i love it when jaws drop at the size of my tool. ;)

but in bed, it's not the size that matters; it's how you use it. :)

prof_er, macmacoy, mokmoki and 10 others like this.
  5. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm on the same dilemma the past couple of weeks and based on the readings i've had and looking at forums where some users had both, these are some of the things i gathered:

The ipad pro 12.9 makes more sense if you are a graphic artist, or someone who needs a bigger canvass and your majority use for it is indoors since it is not as portable as 9.7 where you can easily take it out when you need to use it outside or in public transport.

The 12.9 makes more sense if you prefer to use it as a replacement laptop. I've also tried it several times and the huge screen does make a difference for your productivity.

Many of those who went with the 9.7 ipad pro didnt really consider it as a laptop replacement. They all have their macbooks, and went with the 9.7 pro since its currently the best ipad/tablet of such size.

I want to like the 12.9 since its bigger and a new experience for me coming from an Air 2, but i'm leaning towards the 9.7 since i dont see myself replacing my mbp retina as my go-to laptop. So bringing with me a 12.9-incher ipad pro and a 13-inch mbp retina seems overkill, so the 9.7 seems to be the sweet spot as a third device along with the iphone. Plus getting the 12.9 right now may not be a good idea since pretty soon, apple will likely incorporate that True Tone screen on the 9.7 to their 12.9 along with the improved i-sight camera that's similar to the iphone 6s. Again, just some info i got, YMMV, hope this helps :)

6. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

yep, that figures...a whole lot of innuendoes there...anybody keeping count? :p

Sunil_K likes this.
  7. gogetit

gogetit Member

Thanks for all those who posted their thoughts. Guess I'll just have to wait a while.

8. Reylan

Reylan Member

I agree, if you plan on holding the device for a period of time the 9.7 is the device for you..

9. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I picked up the 12.9 right after it became available. With what I use it for, I'd still go for it even if the 9.7 is already available. I use it mainly as a laptop replacement (my 13" rMBP is now basically a desktop) -- the large screen is essential in that regard, it makes it much more useable when working on documents and spreadsheets, and apps have a lot more space when using split-screen multitasking. Also perfect for consuming my media -- TV shows, movies, magazines, and comics.

mikeyllorin likes this.
  10. den_lim

den_lim Active Member

I'm in the same dilemma right now. But after trying both units, I'm leaning towards the 12.9 as it seems very difficult to draw on the 9.7 with my big hands.

11. quicksilver

quicksilver Member

just got the 256gb 9.7 wi-fi + cellular :)
    decided to upgrade my ipad mini, and hold on to my iphone 5s and mba 11 for the meantime.

mikeyllorin and jesusluison like this.
  12. Sheryl.

Sheryl. Active Member

The 9.7 is the perfect size -- very portable and more versatile. I use when i'm outside the office for meetings and at home for reading, drawing, coloring and games. I always carry it with me (with the keyboard and pen).

jesusluison likes this.
  13. Alucard

Alucard Well-Known Member

I just got the 9.7. Size is just nice for me. Great for emails, reading, browsing, notes.

I didn't get the keyboard case. I actually bought the microsoft keyboard that folds in half. Though I haven't tried it yet.

14. p.pipster

p.pipster Well-Known Member

Any other 12.9" users out there? I'd like to know your experiences so far. The only things holding me back are:

1. There reportedly aren't many apps that have been optimized to look and feel great on the 12-incher.
    2. It's expensive when you include the price of the Smart Keyboard and there aren't a lot of alternatives out there.

I'm thinking of getting one cos I just realized I no longer have a home computer to use! Our Mac Mini failed several months ago and we've been using our work laptops for most of our computing. Until our living room TV broke down, that's when we've been watching our movies and TV shows on our phones.

I plan to use the iPad Pro for light computing:
    – storing and viewing family photos and videos
    – websites, social media, news
    – stream movies and TV shows in the living room or bedroom
    – and little bit of work if I forget to bring my work laptop (e.g., Mail, Safari, Gmail and other Google Apps, Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Evernote)

My intended setup / workflow in the office would be:

iPad for most emailing, reviewing of reports and updating charts. iMac for working on wider spreadsheets or multiple apps/windows. 13" Air for working sessions in meetings and out-of-town conferences.

15. l7224

l7224 Member

I love the iPad Pro 12.9! Compared to watching on your phones, doing it on the Pro is so much better. I haven't been watching tv as much since I got the Pro coz i've been so hooked on netflix and iflix - you got a big screen and good audio. I got the Smart Keyboard too but I sold it to get the Magic Keyboard instead (and I plan to get a stand). I also use it for work whenever I don't bring home my office laptop. In as far as apps availability, based on how you mentioned you'll use it, i'd say there's plenty available. I got my iPhone for outside use and my iPad Pro 12.9 at home. :)

16. Sabonis

Sabonis Active Member

@p.pipster , based on your requirements you don't really need an iPad Pro. An iPad Air would suffice. The iPad pro's advantage over the others would be note taking which is the reason I bought one. I got the 12 incher. I felt I need the real estate to write notes properly. Didn't like the heft at the start coming from an iPad Air. But eventually realized that this is the right size for my purpose. This is best paired with the Apple Pencil.

I got the Smart Keyboard case as well but never used it. Tried it once and put it right back in the box.

In my opinion you can opt for the iPad Air. Size is just right for one handed operation. But if you need a 12 inch iPad, then you can't go wrong with iPad Pro 12.9.

franz3x8 likes this.
  17. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm....iPad Pro is going to be refreshed. It is overdue. There are rumors of another size for the iPad. Better wait.

18. p.pipster

p.pipster Well-Known Member

I'll be doing a lot of keyboarding for work. Emails, sheets, presos and the like. That huge screen can be major benefit to do some serious split-screening (e.g., like 2 normal sized iPads side-by-side). I've tried it in stores and I find the 9.7" keyboard too "sikip" (funny, I have small hands) and the screen too small. I'm probably better suited with a MacBook... but I already use a MacBook Air at work so I see this as an opportunity to "diversify".

Yeah. They say it may be announced around March-April which means it goes out here around May-June. But I can't wait... I no longer have a Mac/iPad for personal use.

19. pctan1584

pctan1584 Well-Known Member

I had the 12.9 previously, sold it because its heavy for on the bed surfing and felt the 9.7 will be better. Got the 9.7, now I miss the 12.9 especially typing on the small keyboard of the 9.7. Although easier for on the bed used, I find it small for my eyes and when I place it down on my bed to watch videos, plus the 12.9 is more stable on bed or pillow. I will go back to the 12.9 anytime.

Sunil_K likes this.
  20. franz3x8

franz3x8 Member

i went with the 9.7 inch since i don't like holding or carrying large tablets O_O and because i already i have a macbook XD carrying a 12 inch tablet and a 13 inch macbook would be a hassle to me.

Though if i highly suggest kung gagamitin mo lang yung tablet mo for casual use i would recommend just buying an iPad Air 2 since the Pro line is really aimed for Artist in mind hence the Apple Pen companion.

when i bought my ipad pro i was buying it for School and Work purposes since im a Graphic Art student :D Sketching on the go is a big factor for me to buy this since its cheaper than getting a Wacom Cintiq Companion and the Apple Pencil was a plus because it was much better than wacoms current stylus.

#20 franz3x8, Jan 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2017