iOS 9.3 Preview

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by johannes, Jan 17, 2016.

1. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

Here are some interesting iOS 9.3 updates straight from Apple themselves.

Night Shift
    - Night Shift uses your iOS device’s clock and geolocation to determine when it’s sunset in your location. Then it automatically shifts the colors in your display to the warmer end of the spectrum, making it easier on your eyes. In the morning, it returns the display to its regular settings.

Improved and More Secure Notes
    - Now you can secure the notes that contain your most personal data — such as financial details, medical info, or website logins — with a password or fingerprint. You can also sort notes by date created, date modified, or alphabetically.

Improved News App
    - The articles in For You are now better tailored to your particular interests. And to help you discover new Favorites, For You suggests trending topics and Editors’ Picks. When a story contains video, you can play it right from your feed. On your iPhone, you can view everything in landscape. And when you check for updates, the latest stories appear much faster — so you can catch up on the day’s events quickly and easily.

Improved Health App
    - It’s simpler than ever to find third-party apps to track your health and wellness. Categories such as Weight, Workouts, and Sleep have a new slider menu that reveals great apps you can easily add to your Health dashboard.2The Health app also now displays your move, exercise, and stand data, as well as your goals, from Apple Watch. So you can see all your health metrics in one place and easily share your data with third‑party apps.

Improved CarPlay
    - With iOS 9.3, CarPlay adds even more useful features. New and For You from Apple Music — with songs, artists, and albums handpicked by experts, plus selections based on your preferences— are right at hand on your screen. And the Nearby feature in Maps lets you find gas, parking, restaurants, coffee, and more with a tap. So you’ll know the best places to stop, whether you’re on your daily commute or an epic road trip.

 School
    - Featuring "Shared iPad," "Classroom App," "Apple School Manager," "Managed Apple IDs."

==================
    Personally, I'm looking forward to Night Shift, as I read a lot on my iPad before going to bed.

Improved News also sounds good because the current version loads slowly for my taste.

And, very important, I'm glad that Notes will now have TouchID security. I usually jot a lot of things there (some of them things I don't want others to easily see) so this should come in really handy!

Source: http://www.apple.com/ios/preview/

Kleithxx, Sunil_K and bugs like this.
  2. ronnel0918

ronnel0918 PhilMUG Addict Member

The most useful feature for me is the Night Shift. Can't wait for the official release!

3. kenobiz

kenobiz Active Member

Just tried the public beta release. Seems very stable.

4. panis

panis Well-Known Member

The security feature for notes would be great.

5. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

6. johannes

Staff Member Chairman

Looking forward to this, too. The last device I use prior to sleeping is usually my iPad, which I use to read and do some last-minute tasks. I'm currently using an iPad Pro and the bigger screen means more blue light. I'm hoping Night Shift will finally do the trick.

Exactly. It's a case of "why only now?" :)

jesusluison likes this.
  7. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

Running on the iOS 9.3 Public Beta now. Tried running Night Shift in total darkness. Big improvement in terms of ease on the eyes.

Also started locking notes in the Notes app. I haven't seen though if the same notes will be locked as well on my MBP.

8. ronjet

ronjet Well-Known Member

I've been longing for the new notes security features... And yes! Finally!

9. Nathan Jonah

Nathan Jonah Member

I tried f.lux a really long time ago back in the jailbreak days. Now that that tweak has already been included into the iOS 9.3 preview, I am really loving it! Got it on right now on my iPad mini 2 and it does look crisp. Noticed my iPad 2 does not support the Night Shift feature because hardware does not support it at all. LOL, I think Apple is telling users to upgrade to get latest features.

10. johannes

Staff Member Chairman

Speaking of f.lux and Night Shade, the latter was made available to users via "sideloading" some time ago. However, when Apple found out that f.lux was sideloading its way to the iPhone, Apple shut them down, telling them they're in violation of Development Program agreements.

Not long after that, they announce that iOS 9.3 will have Night Shade, which users are saying looks really similar to f.lux. :)

Source: http://uk.businessinsider.com/apple...-the-iphone-now-its-building-it-itself-2016-1

11. quintosandrew

quintosandrew New Member

Ugh, why can't they fix first the bugs of iOS 9 like the stuttering, lagging, animation skip even if the "Reduce Motion" is turned off. They keep on adding and adding features that some of it are not even useful, it only makes the iOS more unstable.

12. xthine

xthine PhilMUG Addict Member

Looking forward to Night Shift, hopefully it helps a lot of people with insomnia.

13. quintosandrew

quintosandrew New Member

All I can say is my iPhone was never been the same after the iOS 9 update. For the second time I am disgusted with Apple because of the update, it made my phone laggy, sudden fps drop, delayed unlocking. To be honest I compared my iPhone 6's performance to an iPhone 5s running on iOS 8, my phone was no match in terms of speed and elegance. So disappointing Apple.

14. johannes

Staff Member Chairman

^ Your iPhone 6 running iOS 9 is slower compared to your iPhone 5S running iOS 8? That's interesting. What would you posit as the possible reasons behind this?

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

15. quintosandrew

quintosandrew New Member

Yep! Simple it's because iOs 9 is still unstable and yet they keep on adding features like the one mentioned above that I think can only make the iOS more unstable. I kinda experienced this lag in my iPhone 5 upgrading to iOS 7. It was never been the same. But in my iPhone 5s when I upgraded it to iOS 8 through settings app with poor wifi connection didnt change anything. I'm starting to believe the rumored "Apple makes the iOS of the latest model available for older devices and once you upgrade it your device will become slow and that'll force you to buy the new one. Or it'll simply make the new one look faster."

16. yammie

yammie Member

my iPhone 5 and 5s still run smoothly with iOS 9 installed.

17. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

I find it weird that your iPhone 6 became slower after the iOS9 update.

I still use an old iPhone 5 but I can testify that it somewhat became faster after the iOS 9 upgrade - its just that it goes thru a full battery faster than before. But speed-wise and responsiveness-wise, it is definitely better.

18. Nathan Jonah

Nathan Jonah Member

iOS 9.3 so far is stable, and this is by far the most stable beta version 1 I ever tried, compared to the other beta 1 ipsw's that I tested over the years. Until now, Apple hasn't replied to my feedback yet, because everytime I open the Smart Cover on my iPad mini 2, a split second green screen appears right when I open the flap. It's getting really annoying, and I've been waiting for for their response for like a week or so. Hopefully, they can address it at the next update. So far, all the new features work properly, nonetheless.

19. jesusluison

jesusluison Active Member

Excited for the 9.3

I'll surely love the NIGHT SHIFT FEATURE plus the improvement in NOTES

20. memphis

memphis Well-Known Member

So when will be the expected release of this update? Notes with security feature is a welcome add on for me.