iOS 11

Discussion in 'General iOS' started by textguru, Sep 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. courtside3

courtside3 PhilMUG Addict Member

Does anybody know of a fix for the wonky auto-correct feature? Since I updated my iPhone 7 Plus units to iOS 11, even common words are changed -- sometimes to names in my Contacts list, sometimes to other words I don't recognize, and almost always to alternatives that aren't spelled close to those I originally typed. I initially laughed it off, but the frequency with which I have had to press the backspace arrow just to retype the right word now leaves me frustrated.

2. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

me too I don’t like the big bold letters.

3. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

I'd like to correct myself on my earlier claim. I just had a chance to use my iPad Air this morning and opening the Settings app actually takes more like 5 seconds.

Just talking about pure UX here.... These are roughly how long it takes for Settings to load up after clicking on it:

Windows 10 = under 1 second
    Android Nougat = under 1 second
    iOS11 = 5 seconds

See what I mean? Small things matter.... things that will very likely make the late Steve Jobs throw a furious fit over.

How can Apple claim that "iOS 11 brings it[iPad] to life like never before"? What a load of...!

Apple is slipping... 3 steps forward, 2 steps back... and that's on a good day.

Sorry to vent off my frustration here. I just felt hoaxed into embracing an ecosystem that would eventually bitch-slap you and even tell you that it's for your own good.

4. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

How do you enable the document scanner in Notes? Can’t find a ‘+’ button

5. marvinp

marvinp Active Member

Once you click the + sign, the first option is Scan Documents.

IMG_2DEADBCD6CEC-1.jpeg

bacchus_3 likes this.
  6. Sheryl.

Sheryl. Well-Known Member

I'm not even exploring because I'm busy with work. I only use it for emails, text and calls. Hope they issue an update soon because my email app is also acting up (Email Exchange).

7. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

Sheryl. likes this.
  8. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

You will appreciate them big bold letters as you rack up the years:)

amieldh likes this.
  9. ronnel0918

ronnel0918 PhilMUG Addict Member

That's always a given after a major update.

What I really don't like about Apple is how they still put smaller battery on their iPhones and compensate it with efficiency of chips. I mean, can't they do both? Increase battery size and efficiency? Even with a major iOS update, our phones will still have higher battery capacities to handle major updates. We know after an update that battery is going to depreciate sooner than we'd like.

Well, can't help but think it's all about the moolah. Really sad.

10. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

^^ Investing on smaller batteries pushes the industry forward. Denser batteries is the way. You'll only realize why they push for smaller batteries after probably 10 years from now - technology will need them thin and small...but packs a lot of juice.

11. chamito

chamito New Member

Does anybody else noticed the ringer and volume adjustment? with previous OS, when you press the volume up/down on the home screen, It will adjust the ringer. Now I have to go to settings to do this. I thought latest update will fix this.

suavecito likes this.
  12. ronnel0918

ronnel0918 PhilMUG Addict Member

iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 have the same battery size but not the same capacity.

iPhone 7 at 3.8V, 1960 mAh, 7.45 Wh
    iPhone 8 at 3.82V, 1821 mAh, 6.96 Wh

Anyway, still hoping for the best in the future.

13. Roman

Roman Moderator
    Staff Member

I disabled my autocorrect because of this. I backspace more than I actually type. Wonder why it changed.

courtside3 likes this.
  14. textguru

textguru Active Member

Swype app is become buggy too... have disabled it for now

15. suigeneris

suigeneris Well-Known Member

What do you mean? When you push the volume buttons up and down when on the homescreen? It's the same functionality for me in iOS 11 and iOS 10. If i want to mute my phone and I forget the mute switch, I just push down on the volume down button and it mutes the phone, then press the volume up to increase the volume.

16. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Well-Known Member

That's a marketing claim. At most it might apply to the relatively new iPad models.

Unfortunately, since the dawn of computing, it has been the common experience of mankind that, without any hardware upgrade (provided that it's even upgradeable), a computer (same with phones, tablets and the like) generally (though not always) would run slower with each OS upgrade. It's practically a well-accepted fact.

Sadly, you really can't expect a late 2017 release of iOS to run smoothly on an iPad model released late 2013. I can't and won't blame Apple form that--as that's really just how it is, not just for iPads, but also for tablets, phones and computers in general.

What I do find particularly nasty about iOS--and Apple, for that matter--is that it won't allow you to freely rollback or downgrade your iOS to any version (including the original version that your iPhone/iPad shipped with) whenever you want, (unlike Macs where you can always revert it back to the original version that came with it).

Because of that, I've chosen simply not to upgrade the iOS installed my iPad and iPhone, unless there's a compelling reason to do so (but I've never had one so far). My iPad mini (which has an A7 chip like your iPad Air) is as responsive and runs as smooth as it was nearly 3 years ago as it still runs on iOS 8.4. My nearly 1-year old iPhone SE feels like new as it runs on iOS 10.0.1. I have no plans of upgrading them ever. I'll simply use them for as long as I can continue to install and use the apps I need, and once I can't anymore, as when the latest version of the apps I need run only on newer versions of iOS, it's then that I'll buy a new iPad or iPhone, and simply hand my old (yet fast/responsive) iPad/iPhone to my kid, relative or our househelper (as the latter might still find it useful for at least watching soap operas).

potpot2 likes this.
  17. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

Nada ☹️
    BA32AC03-6537-4AB3-A328-5A1EBEA013A0.jpeg

18. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

Yeah, well, I wish I hadn't pulled the trigger on the update. Losing several legacy apps was one thing, but the last straw is about having to endure the performance degradation when the opposite was blatantly implied.

Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple hid a "planned obsolescence" code to make the UX crappy on older devices.... just to piss them off and push them to buy their latest hardware. FWIW, I've got an 8 or 9 year-old PC that's running Windows 10. I use it to edit videos and whatnot, and I intend to run it into the ground. Just to be clear, I'm NOT trying to make this into a Microsoft vs Apple thing. Rather my point is, if MS can design their latest OS to run on a decade-old hardware, Apple, with their seemingly unlimited talents and resources, should be able to do the same. The thing is, they probably didn't want to do it because to them, loyal users don't mean jack sh*t against their bottom line.

I wasn't expecting this from a premium brand.

Anyway, I've spoken my mind so I'll just stop here. Again, my sincere apologies for hijacking this thread.

19. Roman

Roman Moderator
    Staff Member

#179 Roman, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    Dekra likes this.
  20. denpacs

denpacs PhilMUG Addict Member

Which Folder in the Notes App are you using?
    As per experience, this options only appear when you are in the iCloud Folder.

IMG_E0217.JPG

Dekra likes this.