iOS 10 Official

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by rightnotleft, Sep 8, 2016.

1. vtf

vtf Active Member

Theres a thread dedicated to this annoying assistive touch freeze at apple's site. Sadly no real long term solutions have been given.

2. h2obaby

h2obaby Active Member

Anybody else having a super sensitive Siri? As in you're just talking when your phone beeps the "Siri beep", with the last thing you said sounding nothing like "Hey Siri".

3. Edelheid

Edelheid Active Member

Yep, it even happens inside crowded areas. I have absolutely zero clue how she got "Hey, Siri!" out of all that gibberish in the background.

At one time while having a conversation with someone over the phone, not even a single mention of her name and she still initiated like a lonely housewife. Sometimes, I do worry that she's slowly gaining intelligence. (Or perhaps the other way around?) It's a bit cumbersome to deal with but, it's happened to me since the initial iOS 10 release. :confused:

4. Edelheid

Edelheid Active Member

iOS 10.3 is officially out!
    ...and so is my battery...

Read more about it here.

[​IMG]

Release Notes

iOS 10.3 introduces new features including the ability to locate AirPods using Find my iPhone and more ways to use Siri with payment, ride booking and automaker apps.

Find My iPhone
    • View the current or last known location of your AirPods
    • Play a sound on one or both AirPods to help you find them

Siri
    • Support for paying and checking status of bills with payment apps
    • Support for scheduling with ride booking apps
    • Support for checking car fuel level, lock status, turning on lights and activating horn with automaker apps
    • Cricket sports scores and statistics for Indian Premier League and International Cricket Council

CarPlay
    • Shortcuts in the status bar for easy access to last used apps
    • Apple Music Now Playing screen gives access to Up Next and the currently playing song’s album
    • Daily curated playlists and new music categories in Apple Music

Other improvements and fixes
    • Rent once and watch your iTunes movies across your devices
    • New Settings unified view for your Apple ID account information, settings and devices
    • Hourly weather in Maps using 3D Touch on the displayed current temperature
    • Support for searching “parked car" in Maps
    • Calendar adds the ability to delete an unwanted invite and report it as junk
    • Home app support to trigger scenes using accessories with switches and buttons
    • Home app support for accessory battery level status
    • Podcasts support for 3D Touch and Today widget to access recently updated shows
    • Podcast shows or episodes are shareable to Messages with full playback support
    • Fixes an issue that could prevent Maps from displaying your current location after resetting Location & Privacy
    • VoiceOver stability improvements for Phone, Safari and Mail
    • Windows PC is now displayed as "a device" under the new unified iCloud setting. This setting cannot show vendor name of your PC though, only a generic "Windows" and your Windows version.
    Security Notes
    Available at https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT207617

#284 Edelheid, Mar 28, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    Anmi likes this.
  5. Don Pao

Don Pao Well-Known Member

i feel my iPhone 7 became buttery smooth with 10.3 :D with 6plus phone still lags :(

6. mcarlos223

mcarlos223 New Member

My iPhone 7 got an additional 1.5gb ~ 2gb free space after the update.

7. Edelheid

Edelheid Active Member

Benchmark results have marginally improved w/ APFS.

It would make for a spectacular scene if all iPhone and iPad around the world upgrade without any catastrophic loss of data. It truly must've been unnerving for Apple to plan a migration this big that is also to be shipped on its biggest platform first, but even now that the brand-new file system is finally available to everyone they still must be sweating bullets as they watch millions of iOS devices make the upgrade hoping nothing goes wrong—despite the past seven betas giving them no reason whatsoever to think in that direction. Or, for the most part anyway.

I'd say those unsung heroes over at Apple have done a marvellous job in finally shipping the update to the guinea pigs public. It's very likely that macOS is scheduled to pick up APFS support in macOS 10.13 that we will see at WWDC this year. I am thrilled to see everything (e.g., watchOS and tvOS) switch over to the modern file system.

[​IMG]

#287 Edelheid, Mar 28, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    Anmi likes this.
  8. textguru

textguru Member

Just updated my iPhone SE via iTunes (~600MB on OTA). Just noticed "Available Space" increased if I compare before and after the iOS10.3 update

9. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 Well-Known Member

APFS has been tested for a couple of years now since it was initially introduced. No major issues had been reported during the beta cycle so I guess this version of APFS has been very mature than the last one intended for OS X.

10. Edelheid

Edelheid Active Member

Yup, that's supposed to happen. Freed up storage space is one of the compelling reason why everyone should upgrade; it might all seem like small gains, in particular for devices with smaller capacity, but surely you can use those few hundred megabytes for something. The other reason being the tweaked or shortened system animations which do make things like closing an app a tad bit faster compared to before. Apple has made dozens of tweaks to the system animations since iOS 7, but this feels to be the sweet spot.

The iPhone has two partitions in place; a small system or firmware partition (equivalent to the macOS /System and /Library) containing the iOS operating system files and preloaded applications—which is kept in the read-only format on a non-jailbroken device—and a larger data partition where all your third-party applications, documents, music, photos, etc. are stored. The system partition always used the same amount of space since Apple made it large enough to accommodate future iOS updates. This is where APFS comes in to save the dayyyyyta: storage is now allocated as a pool, which means both the system and data partitions share space instead of being separated. That fixed space in the system partition that was originally apportioned for firmware upgrades is now available for your data. Another cause for the changes in remaining storage space is that APFS uses clone files to minimize data storage and data duplication.

I got around 6GB (out of 256GB) worth of storage space back. It initially showed me 4.5GB right after the update, but wait a couple of hours to allow the iPhone to rebuild its Spotlight index and it should expand further depending on your iPhone's storage capacity. The more storage you have, the more you have to gain. In the same vein, the more storage you have used up, the longer it will take for the indexing to finish so you may need to exhibit patience.

#290 Edelheid, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    Anmi and Qin Zhi like this.
  11. textguru

textguru Member

My iPad Mini 2 still part of iOS10.3 update. Probably the last one before Apple marked it as retired.

12. littlewingz08

littlewingz08 Active Member

hows the battery life in 10.3? Is it worth upgrading?

13. mree

mree Active Member

I noticed my phone doesn't charge as fast anymore using my laptop, after the upgrade; but my battery lasts longer. The find my airpods works great.

14. potpot2

potpot2 Well-Known Member

Something weird is happening to my ipad pro after the 10.3 update. It keeps switching to airplane mode by itself while i am using it. Happened thrice or four time already i think.

15. Edelheid

Edelheid Active Member

The reason why the latest beta is numbered 10.3.2: because Apple prepared 10.3.1 in advance to address a serious vulnerability.

I'm not certain if this is a flaw that arose in iOS 10.3 but it very well could be, otherwise, iOS 10.x and even iOS 9.x will also need to be updated. Having said that, use your Wi-Fi to download this fresh update... :p

e: This appears to be a Broadcom issue.

iOS 10.3.1

Release Notes

iOS 10.3.1 includes bug fixes and improves the security of your iPhone or iPad.

Wi-Fi

Available for: iPhone 5 and later, iPad 4th generation and later, iPod touch 6th generation and later

Impact: An attacker within range may be able to execute arbitrary code on the Wi-Fi chip

Description: A stack buffer overflow was addressed through improved input validation.

CVE-2017-6975: Gal Beniamini of Google Project Zero

Security Notes
    Available at https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT207688

#295 Edelheid, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    Anmi likes this.
  16. denpacs

denpacs Active Member

iOS 10.3.2 is now Available.

17. Pupkin

Pupkin Active Member

Greatly improved battery life of my iPhone 7 plus.

18. potpot2

potpot2 Well-Known Member

This latest update did not fix the old bugs at all, specially those related with the keyboard

19. amielDH

amielDH Member

iOS 10.3.3 is out for all compatible iOS Devices with bug fixes and security updates.

20. Edelheid

Edelheid Active Member

It's a first seeing local alerts on my phone. Pretty useful stuff that they should use more often.

IMG_2045.jpg