Intel Core i5 or i7?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by fiona, Apr 8, 2016.

1. fiona

fiona Member

Hi, would like to ask the film/video editors, graphic artists and Mac experts of Philmug if there's a noticeable difference between i5 and i7? Is the extra price worth it? Would I regret it if I just get the iMac with Intel Core i5? Thank you so much!

Fiona

2. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^well, there is, hence, the substantial price difference between the two...but what do you really need the speed for?

for a heavy user (which could be you), then get the i7

fiona likes this.
  3. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

For film and video editors, the processor is important but not as important as memory. You often deal with large files and the processor has less to do with it than your RAM chips. When loading and working on large video files, the computer will keep paging in and out, using up virtual memory (slow). If your unit has a large memory, this tedious process is lessened, thus speeding up your work.

Another important consideration is your graphics chip, and the memory built in into it.

DISCLOSURE: I'm not a computer engineer but I know enough about work flow and work processes. I'm sure the techno geeks here will jump in to correct my use of tech terms that I may not be so sure about.

fiona likes this.
  4. cybersniper

cybersniper Well-Known Member

^That's actually dead on!

GPU's and RAM play huge roles on systems of today. Taking off a lot of burden on the CPU, unlike the old days when almost everything's heavy lifting are done by the CPU.

I can smell that you're contemplating on getting either the Top of the line iMac or a CTO system... if it's a dual-core VS quad-core battle, then it would be a different story. But since they're both quad-core, the difference wouldn't be night and day. Consider maxing out your RAM - with this, I mean 64GB (not 32GB). - your location says you're in SF, so that means you wouldn't have a hard time sourcing these kits out.

By the way, how heavy of a task(s) are we talking about here? Do you work for Pixar? :)

fiona likes this.
  5. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Thank you for the affirmation, @cybersniper. If @fiona works for Pixar, I guess she should get a kitted-out MacPro, haha! Or something more esoteric (like Renderfarm).

fiona and cybersniper like this.
  6. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mmm....get the best machine possible. That would be the core i7 Skylakes. Quad-core over dual. Max out memory and get a fast SSD/Flash storage. Get the best graphics kit, if available. It is for work after all. No sense penny pinching.

fiona and ronnel0918 like this.
  7. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

which software are you using?

fiona likes this.
  8. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Just to demonstrate the difference between GPU (the video card) and CPU (processor):

9. fiona

fiona Member

Thanks for your replies, guys! I don't do VFX, only video editing (Avid and FCP), that's why I'm not sure if it would be worth it to get the i7. It's only for my little home office, nothing fancy. I'm only getting an iMac. If it would be for my office in QC, then we'd get the Mac Pro.

10. minenskie

minenskie Member

Skylakes offers larger cache over from its previous generation, and an additional "10%" processing power. But since you've mentioned that you're going to use it occasionally, well probably the previous generation will do also. Just make sure to pair it with his buddies, a good RAM and a GPU.
    At-least a 2Gb GPU for a future proof set-up and just in-case you need to work for a 2k video resolution and above.

#10 minenskie, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    fiona likes this.
  11. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic Well-Known Member

If you are willing to wait or pay a premium then i7.

12. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

It doesnt matter if you use i7 or i5 if your hardrive aint SSD. Minimum drive should be at least Fusion if not a full PCI-E SSD. Graphic/video apps depends heavily on scratch disks, so there. High-end GPUs if you plan on doing 3D stuffs. Mid class gpus will work well on 2D graphic/video renders.