iMac average lifespan for Pinoy Mac users?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Flim, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Flim

Flim Member

@makinao - You mentioned Apple Asia Singapore -- did you buy your AppleCare from there or was it your unit that came from there? Hope you don't mind providing more details as I'm interested how the process works if one purchases AppleCare online.

2. makinao

makinao Active Member

AFAIK, you can buy Applecare from authorised dealers anywhere, for Apple devices bought from authorised dealers anywhere, and have it serviced by authorised service centres anywhere.

Back in 2007, We bought an iMac at Liteware, then had a friend in the US buy Applecare (it was cheaper there at the time) after 6 months. My friend opened the box and emailed me the serial number. When it had a problem, I brought it to Ynzal.

The second time, I bought Apple care at the same time I got my 2012 MBP from Liteware. When it had a problem, I brought it to MSI-Digicare.

Flim likes this.
  3. Flim

Flim Member

@makinao Thanks for the reply. I've tried MSI-Taguig and like their service when I brought in a ThinkPad T series -- which was btw, covered by 3-year warranty, unlike Apple (ang kuripot!!!). Well, have to make up my mind soonest...to buy or not to buy. BTB is offering it for 8,700 cash...

4. makinao

makinao Active Member

OT: Ah yes, the legendary T-series (and the 600-series that preceded it). Back in my IBM Thinkpad days, I could never afford them because those cost an arm, leg, and a neck. AFAIK, those were fleet-leased to companies for three years. Hence the built-in 3-year ON SITE warranty. After they were returned to IBM, they ended up in HMR and SOS :)

5. Flim

Flim Member

Oops, it was another ThinkPad series I brought in for repairs -- key cap problem but MSI replaced the entire keyboard. My TP T430s never gave me any problems, built like a tank and still running to this day (knock on wood). Never bothered to upgrade it to Win10 (it's still on Win7) but I recently installed Linux Mint Cinnamon 18 -- running flawlessly :)

#65 Flim, Dec 21, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  6. sohcboy

sohcboy Member

My Imac 27" Retina 5k, Mid 2015 which i bought Christmas of 2015 suddenly shut off and won't power on again. I brought it to Ifix and they told me that either power supply is damage or the logic board. They will first replace the power supply if that's not gonna solve the problem they will replace the logic board. It's kind of a "trial or error" thing for me.

I can't decide now if I'm going to push through the repair since the logic board will cost 45,000 plus..

Any advice?

7. cybersniper

cybersniper Well-Known Member

^Next time you buy an iMac, make sure you get an APP for it.

Sunil_K likes this.
  8. guwapito

guwapito Well-Known Member

one of those times when you tell yourself why we didn’t purchase applecare :( but enough of that....a couple of questions to answer you main question, like: how soon do you need the replacement? are you willing to shell out that much for a part vs spending a bit more for a new macbook or getting macbook pro or an 21inch imac...if im not on a rush ill save up for a new computer :)

sohcboy likes this.
  9. gogetit

gogetit Member

Maybe you can bring it to Ynzal for a second opinion and a second cost estimate.

sohcboy likes this.
  10. guwapito

yep @sohcboy can look into that option too.

sohcboy likes this.
  11. sohcboy

sohcboy Member

Thanks! yeah, I'll maybe delay it to make up my mind. I really can't pull the trigger to make the repair as it cost too much. Your right a few thousand more and it's a brand new 21 inch imac.

but, my real concern is my it got busted too soon. I have an 2007 17 inch imac core 2 duo and an 2010 macbook pro which is still in good shape now.

12. fcdiesta

fcdiesta Well-Known Member

Was it connected to a UPS or an AVR? Maybe the power supply or logic board was damaged because of an electrical surge or fluctuation.

13. guwapito

it sometimes happen with the best of 'em. my old 15 inch macbook pro is still used by my in laws and it is in a good shape, aside from memory replacement and slowdowns because of new OS

14. pandecoco

pandecoco New Member

My Imac 2009 has gone kaput, a year and a half ago; ynzal says most probably video card? problem; it's sitting in my storage room; i also have the white Ibook G4, 2004 that I got in HK, no internet and still ok, now and then, I plug the battery....
    Ynzal a year ago said i could sell to them my 2009 Imac, for parts I suppose, but i haven't brought it to them...

#74 pandecoco, Dec 9, 2017 at 3:43 PM
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2017 at 3:50 PM
  15. iAmMichael05

iAmMichael05 Member

We still have our 2011 iMac. It's still working perfectly fine. I mainly used it for photo and video editing before but right now, it's my dad who's using it in the office for basic office task. Take note also that ever since we got it, we never change any single part of it. No problem at all!