iMac average lifespan for Pinoy Mac users?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Flim, Jan 12, 2016.

1. cybersniper

cybersniper Well-Known Member

@Flim - don't worry about the issue we mentioned since you'd be getting a newer model. Those were 2011 and older models... I haven't heard of a 2012 and up model which had the same issue (i.e. the thinner iMacs) - but don't take my word for this because I haven't looked at this issue for a while now. My 5K iMac is still relatively new, I've just had it for a few months so I couldn't really tell.

2. Flim

Flim Member

I finally got myself an iMac - late 2015 27" 5K 3.2 GHz, BTO 2 TB fusion drive, 16 gb RAM. I ordered it Jan. 30 c/o Danica of BTB and it arrived Feb. 24 from Apple Singapore. Good enough discount, thanks Danica and BTB Rockwell.

Looks gorgeous. The thing is, I thought this was the iMac I wanted. But after 3 days' use, still can't get used to the huge screen. Too much eye travel. Have to crane my neck to go to the top parts of the screen. I've cranked my chair to the hilt and getting stiff neck, LOL. Maybe this behemoth needs a lower desk or I should grow 2" taller.

I sprung big bucks for a 27" because I'm a walking example of too much reading can be a dangerous thing. I was really aiming for the 21.5" 4K Retina, which I waited for a year. But when I read about the superior architecture of the 27", dedicated video memory, upgradeability (the 21's RAM chips are soldered but the 27, not ), Skylake vs. Broadwell (why buy last last year's processor), and when someone wrote the 21.5" was "disposable," that decided it for me.

Now I need some handholding (as in tips, advice, please). Or maybe someone with deep pockets to get this stunning beauty quick off my hands. Or maybe it's just more time I need to get used to big-is-beautiful because that's what this iMac really is...but is it for me...:confused:

3. SQUN

SQUN Member

^Same sentiment here re giant screen. Most of the time I only use half of it. The other half I use for watching video streams / youtube / movies, it is good while the boss is not around, otherwise it keeps on popping in and out.

It is more convenient for me to use my MBPr.

4. mackie8

mackie8 New Member

im still rocking my late 2012 iMac 21.5 core i5 ... it was our main computer before the AW 13 and rMB 12 came in ...
    i still use it for my main photo editing ... kaka update ko lang sa el cap .. tapos nag bootcamp ako sa win10 mas mabilis ang gaming ko sa win10 e.
    pero mula dumating ang AW13 ni hubby at macbook12 ko madalang na lang namin gamitin ang imac... pang download na lang ng torrent saka pag gusto ko ng mas malaking screen sa gaming.
    naiisip kong ibenta na or iupgrade sa SSD at gawin 16gb ram ... baka mas mag improve ang speed nya..

5. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

You'll get used to it.
    Here in our office, I have a couple of 23" monitors side by side and at first I have the same predicament as you, but in time it sort of grew on me.

We are still sharing my wife's 2011 11" MBA and besides the battery problem that needs servicing, the battery capacity now is only at 60% despite regular power cycles and battery-saving measures.

I might be forced to finally buy an iMac if this thing breaks down on us.

6. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^My 2009 iMac is still working, grindingly slower than before but still working nonetheless...it runs both OS X and Windoze and is still being used for power jobs aka video editing, video streaming, downloading and the works...

I have always wanted to replace it with a new iMac but it apparently doesn't want to conk out on me, yet...

7. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

yup still using my 2009 21.5" as well, no problems whatsoever ;)

Salaryman Ryan likes this.
  8. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

Late 2013 27" iMac 3.5ghz i7 with 3TB Fusion drive handling everything i thrown into it like a chump up till this day.

9. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan Well-Known Member

My family runs a elementary school and when I saw that they were having so much trouble with their PCs, I started a drive to replace them with iMacs. That was over 8 years ago and now the school is all Macs. So far none of our iMacs have yet died. Our oldest iMac is a 2006 white intel iMac that was our very first Apple computer, bought second hand, put in the registrar's office as an records computer but now does duty as a wikipedia computer in the school library. The most meaningful upgrade I have done to these units were installing SSD on them and giving them at least 8/GB of RAM. I also make sure that each unit is connected to a voltage regulator. Here is a photo of our students using 2010/2011 iMacs in the lab.

[​IMG]

#49 Salaryman Ryan, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    Anmi, mcblack, Sunil_K and 10 others like this.
  10. cybersniper

^and with DAS Keyboards! wow :)

Sunil_K, Zoey and Salaryman Ryan like this.
  11. Salaryman Ryan

Ah a connoisseur for fine keyboards! I was lucky enough to have a friend from the US who was able to supply us with refurbished mechanical keyboards at a very low price. After spending so much on flimsy Apple keyboards which dies within a year of heavy use, (the kids, they press really hard! Cheap keyboards from CDR King dies in a few weeks) I was able to convince the board to spend extra and get mechanicals. Those keyboards are three years old and still perform like new. The DAS especially, can certainly take a lot of abuse! I was pleasantly surprised. The keycaps are now smoothed out from heavy use but I applied nail polish on the letterings and markings so no fading yet. :)

#51 Salaryman Ryan, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    Sunil_K, cybersniper and Zoey like this.
  12. guwapito

guwapito Well-Known Member

I have a 2012 imac 21"

i have broken 2 or 3 keyboards already thank goodness there's applecare

worthy investment :)

13. cybersniper

Yeah I dont like Apple Keyboards either... even the latest Magic Keyboard. I use a HHKB.

@Salaryman Ryan - you can replace the keycaps for those - get double-shots, legends would never fade. :)

14. Salaryman Ryan

Haha I will consider it but those caps are pricy! So far my cheapo nail polish solution works but who knows? Even the kids and teachers love the feel of a mechanical keyboard! Its just more fun (and noisy!) I have been always curious with the Happy Hacking Keyboard, not sure if I'll warm up to its odd layout but they sure are interesting! I actually almost bought a Real Force when I encountered them in Bic Camera at their huge super store in Yurakucho but what stopped me was my recent purchase of my Matias Ergo Keyboard. Not sure if I can justify buying another pricy keyboard!

cybersniper likes this.
  15. cybersniper

^If the location in your profile is "current", that's where you can get HHKB and other good Mechanical Keyboards (like Filco) the cheapest. - there's a place there in Akihabara.

Regarding the layout, you'll get used to it in just a matter of a few hours. You just have to remap some keys via System Preferences and HHKB's DIP Switches.

16. eyemac

eyemac Member

-o- I'm still using my late 2009 27" iMac :) got it January of 2010 the only upgrade I made was the additional 4gb or RAM (total of 8gb)
    -o- eversince I got the mid/late 2012 Macbook pro (a hand down from my sister last summer of 2015) the iMac is now reserved for taxing apps like photo/
    video editing jobs and occasional garage band authoring. you can't beat its huge 27" display.
    -o- only downside is it doesn't have USB 3.0
    -o- overall performance in today's standard? still kicking! (Quad Core i5 CPU)

17. Flim

Flim Member

It's been 9 months now and counting since I got myself this 27" iMac Retina 5k sitting on my desk. Huge screen has grown on me and loving it. Now, I'm debating with myself if I should get AppleCare before my 1-year warranty expires Feb 24. I know it's like buying peace of mind. But at P9,090 at Apple shop PH, I'm wondering if it'll be money wasted or well spent. Components I need advice for and some other questions--
    • 2TB fusion drive with 128GB SSD (I got this for speed boost) -- are fusion drives durable?
    • Retina display 27" -- when (what year) usually do ghosting, display problems arise? Is this covered by warranty?
    • 16GB RAM -- any chances of this failing?
    • What other components should I watch out for?
    • If any repairs will be done under AppleCare warranty, who will do these? I bought my iMac through BTB.
    • Anyone with experience dealing with AppleCare plans -- did you get good service on hardware, or am I better off dealing with Ynzal?
    Grateful for any advice please.

18. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Active Member

I have a 21.5" Late 2013 iMac. It's 2 years old this December! No problem with the display so far, never got Applecare although I was sorely tempted.

19. makinao

makinao Active Member

We started with a 2006 iMac 20" core 2 duo 2.16 (the last white ones) in 2007. The screen got stained and eventually died, so Apple replaced it with the silver 2008 core 2 duo 2.4 model in 2009. It came with 1gb ram, and I added 1gb more a year later. Its still alive, but like other iMacs of its time dirt got lodged inside the LCD so it can't be cleaned. It also got sloooooooooooooooooow because of limited RAM. So late this year I replaced the 250gb HD to 500gb, and maxed out the ram to 4gb. Its now running Mavericks OK. If its still alive in a couple of years, I'll probably put in an SSD if the prices come down.

Anmi likes this.
  20. makinao

makinao Active Member

1. Fusion drives should be as durable as any other drive.
    2. Display is covered by applecare .
    3. In the 25+ years I've had computers, I've never had RAM fail.
    4. -
    5. Applecare service is done by authorised service centres. I don't know about BTB, but regardless of where I've bought my apple gear, I bring them to MSI-Digicare in Libis. They talk directly to Apple Asia (Singapore) while you wait.
    6. I've had good experience with Applecare via MSI. 1 replaced iPad, 1 replaced MBP battery.