iMac average lifespan for Pinoy Mac users?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Flim, Jan 12, 2016.

1. ramil

ramil Active Member

I still have my mid-2006 17" 1.83GHz. I still use it occasionally to surf the web and to do minor editing of photos / videos. I also let the kids use it for their homework (web research, document writing) and playing computer games (Minecraft!).

It is already very slow, its 160GB HDD is just not enough (I have several external HDDs attached to it), its 17" screen seems small compared to today's standards, and it still uses Snow Leopard. But, it is still usable!

I'm looking forward getting the next iteration of the iMac, particularly the 21.5". I'm hoping they use the Skylake processors and add USB-C in the next version. I'm still thinking what to do with my current iMac after I get the new one.

Flim likes this.
  2. rg0nzales

rg0nzales Member

My wife and I used our 2008 24" iMac continuously for 7 years until the video died. I think it's still alive but I find the repair cost a bit steep, plus the replacement part is hard to come by. When the time comes, I'd still buy an iMac.

3. essay

essay Active Member

My 2008 iMac 21" is still working very well. Screen never had a problem.

Logic board was replaced though on its 2nd or 3rd year. Thanks to AppleCare.

I replaced the HD with SSD and removed the DVD drive and replaced it with HD.

The power button fell off and is now kept there with a masking tape.

But it still crunching very well, ready to be used, even though I bought already a new iMac 27 during BTB sale last year.

Edit: I'm actually thinking what would i do with it now that I have a new one.

4. cybersniper

cybersniper Well-Known Member

@ice - replace it with a Mechanical Keyboard :)

I use a Happy Hacking Professional 2 - I wont use any other keyboard aside from this anymore (I just bring it from one table to another) and get a good mice.

5. kenshinx

kenshinx Active Member

I used 3 generations iMac in my former office (except the sunflower style) and none of them died on me.

6. Flim

Flim Member

Thanks guys for the replies, much appreciated. What I really wanted to find out from this thread is how the iMac's DISPLAY holds up after many many years of continuous use. I've been really skeptical about a unibody -- I doubt that a CPU and a display can last that long together. This was one thing that kept me away from the iMac so I always went for separate monitor and CPU. I've had really durable PC workhorses -- 2 Compaq desktops (the first was the horizontal CPU, the second was vertical CPU), 1 HP Pavilion -- the CPUs are built to last but the monitors (both analogue and LCD) had a lifetime of only 3 years, 4 if I was lucky.

But when I got my MBA last year, I was impressed by how fast/sleek/more efficient OSX is compared to Windows, plus less virus risk. The SSD of course was a prime bonus, aside from the fact that I really hated Windows 8 when it came out. Anyways, I'm glad to learn from your own experiences that a unibody can last as long, esp an iMac, because I think Apple designs/builds its units differently. So yes, I'm gonna take the plunge and gift myself an iMac (I'm leaning towards the 21.5 Retina) :)

7. Flim

Flim Member

Also, I want to note that in the few days I've been on this forum, I've learned a lot and now I know where I can get a good unit. You know, before I got into this forum, I really thought that PowerMac was the ONLY Apple accredited distributor in the country but thanks to this forum, I now know better. Now hoping I can get a good price for a 21.5 Retina :D

8. VicB

VicB Well-Known Member

I can understand the concern about the iMac unibody design, especially if you're coming from the Windows world. I wonder if a separate monitor can be connected to the current iMacs if the iMac monitor was to go kaput.

9. Flim

Flim Member

Good point -- I want to also know if a separate monitor can be connected to the iMac?

10. kenshinx

kenshinx Active Member

You can use second monitor, you have to buy a connector

11. essay

essay Active Member

^that's right. You can use a second monitor.

You can use the built in monitor simultaneously with another monitor. :)

Flim, the screen of my 2008 iMac is as clear as the first time I used it. :)

Flim likes this.
  12. warmgreentea

warmgreentea Well-Known Member

iMacs are workhorses for 5-7 years when you're into the design industry (unless film and sfx heavy), but my online gripe about them is the dirt that goes into the edges into the screens. In most of the offices I stayed in, the 2-4 year old imacs have smoked edges, which we just call vignette hipster dirts. :p

13. cybersniper

cybersniper Well-Known Member

^The LCD panel (inside) was poorly taped (foil tape) that's why dust gets in it - blown by the iMac's powerful fans. You can clean it yourself and tape it back real good like what I did. - it may look hard, tedious and complicated on video tutorials, but in reality, it isn't. You just need to take time doing it.

After doing this to my 2011 iMac, it never had the same problem again (3 years and counting).

14. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

My wife and I share a 2009 21.5" iMac at home. It still works fine.

We can't say we've used it lightly, too. Aside from the usual iWork and MS Office programs, we also use it for making photo albums (from scratch), FileMaker Pro, photo editing, some light video editing, et.al.

It's also where I play Diablo III, StarCraft II, Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm, and XCOM.

In short, it's been with us for almost seven (7) years and it's still fine. And it's not like we only use it for e-mail.

15. Flim

Flim Member

Hi all - Did you also get AppleCare as soon as you bought your iMac? And did you also extend your APP subsequently after 3 years? What do you recommend, guys...

16. johannes

Staff Member Chairman

I didn't get AppleCare for our iMac because:
    - we kinda "gambled" that we won't need it (we didn't, thankfully)
    - we eventually forgot by the time the first-year warranty was up.

However, I do have AppleCare for the other Apple products I tend to "abuse" more: my rMBP and my iPad.

17. Flim

Flim Member

^ But did your iMac display also develop problems like what @warmgreentea and @cybersniper mention? I've read about this problem in the forums, it's a real concern especially with a very expensive machine. But I don't think I'd like "breaking" into the display to clean up dust and dirt. Is the display architecture of the late 2015 iMac -- 27" in particular -- now different from the previous models?

18. johannes

Staff Member Chairman

^ Nope. :) I didn't encounter those issues.

19. Adarna

Adarna Active Member

In the 16 years I have owned a Mac I've only bought Apple Care once and never made a claim for it. I averaged one Mac a year.

There was a time in that 16 years that you could not buy a Mac in the Philippines without Apple Care bundled. You had to buy though gray market to get a Mac with the standard one year warranty.

Thank goodness that policy has changed. It was really stupid.

Whatever repairs I have went through that was outside of warranty was covered by Apple recalls. They were serviced without cost to me. I believe this was for a iBook that had a faulty logic board and another Macbook Pro with a faulty logicboard.

I did have one repair done for a 2010 Macbook Pro due to negligence on my part. I doubt it would have been covered by warranty as it was water damage on the keyboard. This happened right after its 3rd year.

I should not have repaired it and instead just bought an external keyboard or sold it "as is" at a discount.

Money spent have been better of used as partial payment towards a new Macbook Air.

Apple products are high end electronics so tend to use materials that are to that standard.

If durability is at issue then it is not an issue with Apple.

Lower end brands like say Acer, MSI, Lenovo, HP or Dell what have you will not equal it.

20. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

i have two 2009 21.5-inch imacs and they're still going strong. just had to bring one in to ynzal once to upgrade the hard drive.