iMac AV Project

Discussion in 'iMac' started by downtime, Mar 28, 2016.

1. downtime

downtime New Member

Hello PhilMUG users!

I have in my possession an old iMac (Sept. 6, 2006-Aug. 7, 2007). The unit was only used for internet browsing, some spreadsheet work and some music. This is a working unit and is well taken cared of. I am thinking of making this old charmer into: a) a basic video editing machine and b) a basic home recording unit. The question is: is this possible?

How do you do a clean install of the OS? What are the steps to take? I also tried upgrading to OS X El Capitan and it says that it is not supported.

Any inputs is highly appreciated!

Tech Specs:

-2.16 GHz Core Duo (T7400)
    -3 Gb PC 2 5300 DDR2 667 MHz (DIY RAM upgrade)
    -24" screen
    -250 Gb ATA Serial (7200RPM)
    -OX 10.6.8 Snow Leopard (upgraded from Tiger)

#1 downtime, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  2. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

I think your unit can only support up to Lion OSX. You will need the installer in USB or DVD for a fresh install. Unfortunately that version is no longer supported and you won't be able to download it from apple's website. Although there are several alternative sites to get it from (discussion of which is not prohibited here) :whistle:.

I happen to have a backup of Lion which can be burned to a DVD if you need it.

You probably would want to consider upgrading your hard drive to an SSD for an extra boost in performance.