imac 24 as target display

Discussion in 'iMac' started by trigo, Jan 4, 2013.

1. trigo

trigo Well-Known Member

can i use my imac 24 (9,1) as a target display using mini-display port?

can't seem to find online if possible, only the 27" version are documented.

tried linking it with my mb unibody (5,1) but it wont work.

2. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

i also tried that with my 21" imac but nada...it didn't work...it must be only the 27" that works in that regard

3. trigo

trigo Well-Known Member

I guess so. Sayang my mini display port cable.

4. empty

empty Active Member

Target Display mode was implemented via mini display port in the older 27" models. But with the 2011 and later thunderbolt equipped imacs (21.5 and 27") Apple required thunderbolt not mini-displayport. So even though the cables look alike you need to make sure that both the iMac and source are thunderbolt capable and connected via thunderbolt cable.

Sadly the 24" will not work in any case.

5. trigo

trigo Well-Known Member

thanks, muggers!

6. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm using my iMac as Target Display (extended) but what's bothersome is that I have to press CMD + F2 on the iMac everytime I connect my MacBook Air. This is bothersome because I don't want a keyboard and mouse connected to the iMac.

Is there a way for the system of the iMac to go automatically on Target Display when my MacBook is connected via Thunderbolt?