identifying crash

Discussion in 'General macOS and Apps' started by caffelatte, May 7, 2017.

1. caffelatte

caffelatte Member

is there easier way on viewing the logs to identify what's causing OS/sierra to crash?

I've seen the console but not know what particular keyword should i search. from the time i started mac, this is my 3rd encounter.

2. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 Well-Known Member

What were you doing before the crash? If you cant remember you're pretty much looking for a needle in a haystack.

3. caffelatte

caffelatte Member

i was doing work and using firefox, chrome, safari then calls/messages from viber and hangouts.

i know my way to *nix but not sure if im searching the correct keyword. as of now i'm checking quicly /var/log. also saw this tool - etrecheck and couple of tests says OK

also on the normal course of use, how often or how rarely crash happens? <- i find this question "questionable" :D yet im leaving this typed here :(

4. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 Well-Known Member

You may have a bad logic board if this happens frequently...although you said 3 times. Things like that don't get logged. Apps you use that triggers the crash will have to do this repeatedly for you to check which log it goes to.

5. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Active Member

You may want to describe further what happens immediately after it crashes? Is it a particular application that crashed repeatedly, such as Safari? If an application, such as Safari, crashes, usually, you will be prompted by a dialog box similar to the one below:
    IMG_0795.JPG
    Did you get such prompts during those instances? If so, which application(s) crashed?

On the other hand, if you never got any such prompt, what happened immediately after it crashed? Did the operating system itself freeze and stopped responding (such that you had to force restart it), or did macOS restart on its own?

While, as pointed out by @bacchus_3, a logic board problem remains in the realm of possibility (if the symptoms that he mentioned are present), at this point and given the limited facts we have, one way of isolating whether the problem is hardware related or not is for you to consider downgrading it to OS X El Capitan and see if it will still crash.

OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 (the version available at the Mac App Store) is quite stable actually, especially when compared to macOS Sierra 10.12.4 (which. as I told you before, I deliberately avoided installing, as many had voiced out complaints about that particular version--frequent application crashes, among others). Assuming you can spare the time, download El Capitan and make a bootable flash drive installer of it; backup your system using Time Machine, and then format your drive and install El Capitan. After that, just install only those third party apps that are really essential to you (and if you do without them, say Chrome, Firefox, etc.--don't install them yet).

Check then if the system will still crash with El Capitan. If, you never encountered any crash after using it for a few days, you can gradually start installing third party apps--but do a Time Machine backup prior to installing them. That way, if you the system starts crashing, it's possible that its one of those apps, and you can then use Time Machine to revert your system to a previous and more stable setup. (Ordinarily, though, the usual third party apps, such as Firefox, Chrome and the likes, are unlikely to corrupt the system and cause system-wide crashes, due to OS X/macOS sandboxing, among others.)

If the problem vanishes in El Capitan--stick to that OS for the time being (as it's really a good OS), and just in case there are Sierra features that you really like, then just upgrade when a mature version of Sierra, such as 10.12.6, after a month when it is released.

If the crashes still persist even when running El Capitan (especially with little or no third party apps), then it may possible that the problem lies with your logic board. If so, have it checked immediately by an Apple authorized service center. As it's still within the warranty period, replacing it should be free of charge.

Pardon if our diagnosis and recommendations seem a bit extreme, as you must understand, given the nature of your problem and the limited facts we have, it is quite difficult to troubleshoot the problem accurately. To further complicate matters, replicating the problem would be a tremendous feat, given that we use different Macs, with different specs, dissimilar applications installed and our systems and applications are in all likelihood configured differently.

#5 Qin Zhi, May 8, 2017
    Last edited: May 8, 2017
  6. caffelatte

caffelatte Member

hi guys thanks for the input. i didnt get that prompt. i just immediately noticed there was no keyboard and touchpad feedback. even i tried sending viber message to myself to see if it is just the inputs that were affected.

i just hold the power button and it rebooted normally. as if nothing happened. so for now im holding it at 3rd/4th time hang :) hopefully nothing serious and just OS level issue though i still want to know what "keyword" should I be searching in the logs.

7. caffelatte

caffelatte Member

just to update... i've been counting the number of times this happened so far less than 10, probably 4 or 5 as of this writing. i also found out the term mostly use is "freeze" than crash and hang and now couple of search results related to my issue... still reading.

8. ma5te12m1nd

ma5te12m1nd Active Member

How is old you hard drive? Check it's SMART status in detail.

Freeze-ing is the first sign of a failing hard drive. Backup your data asap!

9. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Active Member

It is indeed possible that the unit's logic board or it's SSD is defective. For all you know, the original owner was having the same problem with it and didn't want to bother getting it replaced, which is why he/she sold it even though it's just a few months old.

In any case, just to be sure it's not a hardware problem, try installing OS X El Capitan 10.11.6, which is quite stable as compared to Sierra 10.12.4. If you'd care to check the MacRumors forum on Sierra, as of late, there are still quite a number of users complaining that their Macs are freezing on Sierra, and the problem remains unresolved (as users' specs vary), although one user claims that he/she no longer encountered it after Apple replaced his/her logic board.

#9 Qin Zhi, May 12, 2017
    Last edited: May 12, 2017
  10. caffelatte

caffelatte Member

@ma5te12m1nd - so i tested the hdd and so far it passed. no bad sector and anything. goodness that's scary :)

@Qin Zhi - yeah i read that part about sierra freezing for no apparent reason. after reboot it just pops up a prompt re issue blah blah. forgot the exact words. i just can't reinstall back to el capitan because this is currently my work horse :)

im also thinking, may be im taxing it too much (firefox and chrome with more than 10 tabs open each plus private browsing, safari when searching for mac-related stuff, vmware/windows 10, skype, viber, hangouts, VLC, etc.)? i also dont reboot. only when this freezing happens :D

overall im still satisfied ;)

11. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Active Member

caffelatte likes this.
  12. caffelatte

caffelatte Member

Thanks. I'll try this tomorrow when there is no work load :)

13. caffelatte

caffelatte Member

there's a new update 10.12.5 and hopefully will help in stability :) i see mostly are security part

OMG. that's a gig update.