ibook g4 harddrive

Discussion in 'Legacy OS & Apps' started by chie, Jan 3, 2011.

1. chie

chie New Member

Any recommendations on where to get an upgraded hdd? My ibook is still very alive but only has 40gb :slanted:

I'm not exactly sure what to look for..

2. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

you need ide/pata 2.5" laptop harddrives... not sata.

3. Sabonis

Sabonis Active Member

Hi Chie,

I used to have an iBook myself and as far as I remember it uses a PATA HDD which is hard to find nowadays. I would recommend that you get yourself an external HDD instead which is less of a hassle in terms of asking someone to install it and reinstalling all of your software.

HTH!

4. chie

chie New Member

IDE/PATA are still out there.. but can I just get any brand as long as its IDE/PATA?
    Should I try to replace this myself or should I find someone? I have never tried anything on my ibook before though I know PCs like the back of my hand :D

@sabonis - I have an external hdd but I want to have bigger space on the laptop when I bring it around with me. Plus, I don't want to run out of space bec of apps

5. makinao

makinao Active Member

Yes, there are still IDE drives out there. 120 - 160 gb. But I advise against doing it yourself. You have to take the whole iBook apart just to change the HD. Buy an HD, then bring it to Ynzal. They know what to do.

6. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan Well-Known Member

Another option you have is to order from a US based online retailer and bring the package here through JAC. :)

According to everymac.com iBook G4 sports Ultra ATA/100 (IDE/ATA) hard drives so:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/2.5-Notebook/

Just click on the Powerbook/iBook section. :)

7. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

I had mine replaced at Ynzal, Sct. Rallos st., QC. I put a 100gb pata drive. It worked great up until I sold it.