How to format macbook pro 2006 to snow leopard

Discussion in 'Legacy OS & Apps' started by edcarl, May 23, 2012.

1. edcarl

edcarl New Member

I have macbook pro 2006, but rhe problem is my dvd rom is not working?

2. gravija_flare

gravija_flare Active Member

you can either have a friend prepare a usb drive with the snow leopard installer or get an external dvd drive that you can use with the installation discs.:)

3. 650h2

650h2 Active Member

4. Shadowfox

Shadowfox Member

Unlike old PPC Macs that can't boot from a USB drive, Intel Macs could.

1) Create a Snow Leopard install USB using the following steps posted by a fellow PhilMUGer. See link below:

http://www.philmug.ph/forum/f19/snow-leopard-installation-dvd-usb-thumb-drive-53028/

2) Insert the Snow Leopard USB, go to System Preferences > Startup Disk, then chose the USB flash drive as your startup disk and click "Restart" to boot from the USB drive.

3) Once the Snow Leopard installation setup kicks in, select Disk Utility, reformat your drive as GUID partition (Mac OS Extended Journaled).

4) Proceed with the setup and take it from there. It will take between 20-30 minutes or so.

You'll need at least an 8GB USB flash drive for this. What I did was I used a 16GB thumb drive with one 8GB partition allocated for the installation DVD files and installed Snow Leopard in the second partition. I could boot off my 16GB USB drive both ways and it comes really handy in case you need to fix something or need to reset the password from the root account. Yes, booting off a USB drive is really slow but it gets the job done in case you need to quickly fix something and you don't have your Snow Leopard recovery disk handy.

If you have an iPod, you can allocate some drive space, create a Snow Leopard partition and use it as some sort of a portable Snow Leopard installation/system recovery tool.