How to check Macbook Air's warranty

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by macfuzion, Dec 6, 2017 at 11:49 PM.

1. macfuzion

macfuzion Member

Hi, I'll be selling a sealed Macbook Air on behalf of my friend in the Marketplace; he got it as a performance award in his company and he has no use for it as he is not a Mac user. I cannot check for the warranty coverage in Apple's site as it requires me to somewhat register it. What should I do to prove that it is still within warranty? Thanks!

upload_2017-12-6_23-48-37.png

Attached Files:

2. fcdiesta

fcdiesta Well-Known Member

I think the Mac needs to be linked to an Apple ID first before you can check the warranty status. I guess the best way is to show a purchase receipt, if you have one. If the prize-giver can't produce a receipt, maybe they can provide you the shop/branch they bought it from and maybe you can ask the shop to validate the purchase for use in the warranty check. If that is not possible, you can show the buyer the model number. Since it's a 2017 model, there is no doubt that it is still under warranty.

3. ma5te12m1nd

ma5te12m1nd Active Member

Warranty period hasn't started yet.

Site's a bit counterintuitive for products that are not yet activated.

Mine say's "Valid Purchase Date" and my warranty expired several years ago.

4. Ejaxene

Ejaxene Well-Known Member

@macfuzion You need to submit the original receipt to Apple.

The 2016 tbrMBP I bought just this year showed a June 2017 purchase on Apple's system when I just bought it in November 2017. Even if Apple had a purchase date on their system, your screenshot is the exact same message I saw when I first checked warranty status (MBP activated but no Apple ID attached to it---skipped logging in to iCloud).

When you have a valid purchase date and are still under warranty you are able to see a link to buy an AppleCare Protection Plan and I wanted to see that option so I followed Apple's instruction to sign in and update the purchase date. When I signed in it asked me to pick a date but that came to an error so I had to make a support ticket and someone from Apple called me to advise me on what to do given that we were just finding out then that in their system the purchase date was months prior. Scanned the receipt and they gave me a link where to upload it. Now it shows a warranty expiry date, a year from when I bought it.

@ma5te12m1nd Valid Purchase Date doesn't mean your machine is still with warranty... most my devices have valid purchase dates and their warranties are all expired. :D They just use that date to determine what kinds of services you can still avail of depending on your machine's warranty status.

For example in New Zealand where I currently live, even though my machine's warranty had expired I may still be covered for repairs through a local law...

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

#4 Ejaxene, Dec 7, 2017 at 2:57 PM
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 3:06 PM
  5. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Active Member

Sorry, but it's not possible that the warranty period hasn't started. Apple simply would like to verify/validate the actual original retail purchase date of your Mac. According to Apple's latest terms of warranty for MacBooks in the Asia-Pacific region (which is what applies to the Philippines), the one-year warranty period begins on "the date of original retail purchase by the end-user purchaser":

In the case of macfuzion's friend, the MacBook Air's warranty started on the date of original purchase by the company that gave that Mac away, assuming that the company bought it from Apple or an Apple authorized dealer. If the company bought it from the gray market, the reckoning date will be the date when the gray market seller bought that Mac from an authorized source. Either way, as correctly noted by fcdiesta, the 1-year warranty hasn't lapsed yet given that it's a 2017 model.

raypin and Ejaxene like this.
  6. macfuzion

macfuzion Member

Ohh I see, so we have to inquire with the company as to where and when they purchased the MBA, correct? Thanks for answering guys! :)

7. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Active Member

If you don't want any hassle, just tell the buyer that it's being sold without warranty, albeit in that case, you'd most likely have to sell it for a much lower price. Some do that, by the way--just like those Macs sold by BTB during EOL sale which are sold without warranty.

However, if you want to sell it with the remaining warranty it has, and also would like to avoid any potential problem/dispute with the buyer if the unit breaks down during the warranty period or otherwise turns out to be defective out of the box, you might have to get a copy of the sales receipt from the store where the company bought it.

Remember, to avail of warranty service, the buyer would have to validate the purchase date of the MacBook Pro for purposes of reckoning the commencement date of the unit's 1-year warranty (and, likewise, eligibility for AppleCare if the buyer would like to sign-up for it). To do that, the buyer needs to furnish Apple proof of purchase (which he/she can do by email/phone following the instructions in this Apple support article.)

Please note that, according to this Apple support article, the sales receipt/proof of purchase must have been issued by Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller and meet this criteria:
    • A legible sales receipt
    • The sales receipt must provide:
      • A clear description of your device. The device’s date of purchase.
      • An invoice or receipt number.
      • The device’s price.
      • The reseller’s contact information. We prefer the reseller’s seal or logo too.
      • The device’s serial number if the reseller normally lists serial numbers on their receipts.
    Thus, if you would like the buyer to be entitled to the remaining period of the 1-year warranty and likewise be eligible to sign-up for AppleCare, you need to get a copy of the sales receipt/proof of purchase that meets the above criteria.

#7 Qin Zhi, Dec 8, 2017 at 12:16 AM
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017 at 12:22 AM
  8. ma5te12m1nd

ma5te12m1nd Active Member

I stand corrected. Thanks, guys! (y)