How long do you intend to use your macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rage30, Aug 21, 2015.

1. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

My usual replacement cycle is three years, normally when the AppleCare runs out. I can extend it longer if necessary, but the resale value of the Mac goes down, and comes out about the same.

The current one has lasted a little longer; my MBP is now 4 years old, waiting for Skylake.

Leo

2. ronjet

ronjet Well-Known Member

Still using my 2013 MBA13 purchased early 2014. It is on its 3 years now and I didn't bought it because I just wanted to have a new macbook. I bought after my 2007 white macbook started acting up last 2013. First, not charging, replaced its battery, then magsafe. Then comes Dec of 2013 when our 2012 iMac was stolen. That's the time I decided to get a new mac laptop. The 2007 macbook still performs well until late last year when its screen died. BTB said other parts is still working and the lcd can be replaced or it can still be use with an external monitor. Planning on reviving it but the cost of repair, lcd, max out ram, upgrade hdd or to ssd holds me. I'll use it till when it stop working.

3. Mascobado30

Mascobado30 Member

Still using my MacBook Unibody (late 2009) with 8GB RAM / SSD upgrades. So that's almost 8 years! No problems running Sierra!

4. vtf

vtf Active Member

i plan to replace the hard drive my late 2011mbp with an ssd of the same capacity within the year. this should breathe in new life when coupled with an additional 4gigs of ram

5. markandapps

markandapps Member

Planning to use my MacBook 12 2015 until it gives out. I hope by that time, I have the money to buy a MacBook pro. My Macbook can run fcpx & motion, but there's always the thought in the back of my head, what if, if I just bought the Macbook pro 2015 instead.

6. Edelheid

Edelheid Active Member

I used the same MacBook Air 13" (2011) until late 2016. I got a good 5 years out of it.

The machine wasn't even showing signs of deterioration—it was an absolute trooper through and through. I simply wanted to make the purchase since the new offerings did fascinate me. Both iMac and MBA in my possession have since been replaced by a portable 12" MacBook (my everywhere, go-to portable) and a 13" MacBook Pro that will serve as my stationary computer. I plan to get another 5 years out of them. I still wish to see a new iMac or Mac Pro this year, though.

Tim Cook's word about 'doing more in the pro area' is open to interpretation, but that's what makes it alarming to me. Here's hoping that my fears are merely misguided.

#26 Edelheid, Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  7. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

5 years for my 2012 retina MBP. It already returned all the investments i put into it 10 folds. Still going strong, and aint even planning to replace it soon.

8. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Active Member

My 2009 13" MBP is over 7 yrs. old and is also still going strong. It's got 8GB RAM and 512GB Seagate Momentus XT SSHD and runs well on El Capitan.

In January I bought a BTO 13" tbMBP (3.1GHz/16GB RAM/512GB SSD) as my MBP's trackpad was then dying. My MBP's trackpad finally died last month (while its SuperDrive died about 2 years ago).

Having bought a tbMBP, I then decided to fix my MBP and give it a new lease of life. Fortunately for me, as I live in China, finding replacement parts is so easy--for as long as you know the right parts/model nos.--and can read Chinese. I bought these replacement parts all online at Taobao--all of which were delivered to my doorstep in about 3 days:
    Total cost: ¥ 335 (Php 2,425)--which is even cheaper than the USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter I bought for my tbMBP at its "discounted price" of ¥388 (Php 2,821).

Last Saturday I finally found the time to replace those parts all by myself (relying on the instructions at iFixit, where necessary).

1. Replacing the MBP's "feet". This is the easiest of all--no instructions needed. You just have to unscrew the bottom cover of the MBP, pluck the old ones out and snap the new "feet" in. Now they look as good as new:
    IMG_0446.JPG

2. I then proceeded to replacing the SuperDrive. This is the most difficult of all. For this, I followed the step-by-step instructions at iFixit: MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Mid 2009 Optical Drive Replacement. Installed it successfully:
    IMG_0444.JPG

3. Lastly, the trackpad. This one's relatively easy. I referred to these instructions at iFixit: MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Mid 2009 Trackpad Replacement. Installed it successfully as well (the one on the right is the busted one):
    IMG_0445.JPG

Here are the old/busted parts I replaced:
    IMG_0449.JPG

With my 2009 MBP fully-functional again, I'm now the proud owner of two MacBook Pros! :p
    IMG_0459.JPG

I'm maintaining my 2009 MBP as a backup unit. If my tbMBP bogs down, I can immediately work on my MBP as all my work files are synchronized between the 2 notebooks (including iPad and iPhone) via iCloud Drive (and I do have Time Machine backups). In the meantime, it is my 2-yr. old daughter that uses my MBP the most--watching cartoons. :D

So, to answer the question of the thread starter: I intend to use my MacBook (Pros) for as long as they're alive and kicking. Hopefully my 2009 MBP can live for another 3 years--unless my kid spills milk or juice on it.

#28 Qin Zhi, Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    Edelheid likes this.
  9. dasaint

dasaint Well-Known Member

Macbook Air 2013 until it can run all the apps I need

10. acolyte066

acolyte066 New Member

I have a Macbook Air from 2011 that I still use to this day. It needed a battery replacement and a keyboard replacement (spilled tea) and it's pretty much as good as new. The 4GB Ram is starting to be a limitation, so I hope to get a Macbook by the end of the year. Hopefully it lasts as long as this one!