How long do you intend to use your macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rage30, Aug 21, 2015.

1. rage30

rage30 Member

Hi guys. I have an old macbook that runs on 10.6.8, I think its already 7yrs old but still working except that can't accept some upgrades.I don't know if it is because I didn't upgrade its OSX. Is it still possible to upgrade to the latest OSX? Or better just buy a new one. Thanks.

2. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

if your macbook is late 2008 aluminum or later you can upgrade to latest os x, also i recommend to upgrade your ram to the maximum that your machine can handle :)

3. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

You can upgrade the RAM and hard drive to SSD if budget is an issue for a new unit. Otherwise, I'd be better off with a new one.

4. rage30

rage30 Member

It's the macbook plastic white body. Ask around and they said it can only be upgraded to mavericks. It can't handle Yosemite. The problem is I can't find an installer for mavericks. In case of upgrade, can I upgrade directly to mavericks or have to upgrade to lion then to mavericks? Thanks!

5. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

I've been replacing my MBP every 5 years. Actually i do ROI on every unit i had for less than 5 months after i bought it, so 5 years of using it brought me back my investment ten folds. This is the best, most trusted, money making device i had eversince. That coming from a Mac user since 2001.

6. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

Got my Macbook Black in late 2008, still working, but I replaced it with a Macbook Pro last year. 6 years of use, not bad. It's still in our room, as a back up, or downloading and other stuff. Really worth the investment.

7. makinao

makinao Active Member

It depends.

My 2005 iBook died (video chip) in 2009, so I got a white Macbook. A third-party repair store managed to get it working again a year later, so it ended up with my college freshman daughter for a year until her ninang gifted her with an MBP. I continued using the iBook as a backup until the screen died a few months ago. It still works with an external display, but I have no use for it anymore. So it's in cold storage again. So it's gone nine years, with a year lost to repairs and a couple of years in cold storage.

In 2012, Apple changed my 2009 white Macbook's screen bezel, keyboard cover, and trackpad assemblies as part of an extended repair program for the infamous hairline crack problem. I handed it down to my wife when her 1st gen 2008 MBA died in 2013. The screen isn't as bright as it used to be, and has gotten a bit blotchy. But it's doing fine on its third battery, second hard disk, maxed out RAM (4gb), and Yosemite. If it's still alive in a couple of years, I might swap the HD with an SSD. I've read of people who've done this, and theirs are running like champs. Six years and still kicking.

I got a project grant in 2012, so I got a MBP 15 because I needed a bigger, faster laptop for the project. I've since maxed the RAM, swapped out the sloth slow 5400 HD with an SSHD, and the battery just got replaced under Applecare. I'll probably use it until it dies, or my shoulder dies because of the weight, or I get another project which requires something newer. Approaching 3 years (and the end of Applecare).

#7 makinao, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  8. arvbee

arvbee Member

I plan on using it for at least 5 more years. I use it for gaming (CS:GO and DOTA 2 almost everyday), so I'm afraid it might not last that long. I'll be getting a dedicated gaming desktop PC, so hopefully I can put in more life into my rMBP 13".

9. trigo

trigo Well-Known Member

my 13" rMBP could last for 3 years and i can hand it down to my kids for their use.

after 2 years, i only need more HD space but it is still snappy.

10. danlincoln

danlincoln Member

I have the 2012 13" MacBook Pro. I play NBA 2k and Civ V, surf the net, watch and edit movies, as well as making research papers and other school stuff in it. So I'll prolly use this throughout college then buy a new one after graduation.

jesusluison likes this.
  11. nivraarvin

nivraarvin Member

My last laptop, a Compaq Presario that I got when I was in college lasted for 8 years. I also plan to use my 13" rMBR for 8 years. =)

12. harbingerdeath

Still have my macbook pro 2011 :)
    Recently added SSD to be its main hard drive.

jesusluison likes this.
  13. vgsison

vgsison Well-Known Member

I have been contented with my MBA 11" late 2010 since I bought it. Never had the urge to upgrade it until recently that a slimmer and bigger screen Macbook has arrived. It's still working very well pa naman. I will probably sell it to defray the cost of buying a new one. Mac is indeed a worthy investment.

jesusluison likes this.
  14. mokmoki

mokmoki Well-Known Member

Apple just replaced the topcase for my 15-inch rMBP, which also includes the battery. So I guess the lifespan has been extended for another couple more years? Haha.

jesusluison likes this.
  15. Adel

Adel Moderator
    Staff Member

I have a mid-2010 13" MacBook Pro with 8GB RAM and a 256GB SSD. I only use it sparingly, as I prefer to use an iPad out of the house, and I have my iMac for use at home. I only take my MBP out when I have to, if and when the iPad wouldn't suffice, which is rare for me these days. Still works perfectly and I can still upgrade the OS to the latest, so I think I'll be using it for a few more years. No urgent need to upgrade, really. It's just a bit heavy though.

jesusluison likes this.
  16. jesusluison

jesusluison Active Member

Same here... Using a Late 2011 MBP... but recently upgraded a 500gig SSD :) Now VERY SNAPPY and FAST APP opening...

Will use it maybe until 8yrs??? Until it BREAKS DOWN :)

17. bisdak

bisdak Well-Known Member

My MBA11 I got in '11, still enjoying using it. I'll use until it'll die. Now on El Capitan. :)

18. Nikkio96

Nikkio96 Active Member

I had 2 Macbook white bodies purchased in 2006 and 2007, respectively. The 2006 one conked out in 2012, but the 2007 one is still up and running! I haven't updated anything on it anymore as its main function now is for my son's Youtube viewing hahaha. I replaced my 2006 Macbook in 2012 with a Macbook Pro which is still working perfectly. Drats. No good reason to replace and upgrade it with the sleek new gold one with no glowing apple logo hahaha! :p

19. bisdak

bisdak Well-Known Member

The early white Macbook you mean, not the plastic unibody? I still have Mavericks installer. You should be able to go Mavericks directly. But me, I love doing clean installs. Meaning, erase hard drive, and install OSX on a blank drive. Old habits ... :)

20. kolim

kolim Member

Still using my 2011 MBP. Planning to buy I new mac but I just upgraded the RAM and replaced HD to SSD.
    I think I still can use this for a couple of years.

jesusluison likes this.