How long did it take you to get a Mac?

Discussion in 'AppleTalk' started by jedazzy, May 13, 2011.

1. attitude1

attitude1 New Member

that fast when macbook first released..

2. GustavoWoltmann

GustavoWoltmann New Member

It takes me 3 years to have a Mac. this is when my wife that is working in Florida Panama sent one home for me as a gift. Now, I'm still using it and enjoying it. - Gustavo Woltmann
    __
    “Publishers are notoriously slothful about numbers, unless they're attached to dollar signs - unlike journalists, quarterbacks, and felony criminal defendants who tend to be keenly aware of numbers at all times.”
    - Hunter S. Thompson

3. markandapps

markandapps Member

The year was 2013. I have a brand new galaxy note 2 (acquired April) and a second hand iPhone 3gs (acquired February). I both enjoyed using Android and iOS platform. Later that year, around June, my older brother purchased an iPad mini 1. I didn't want a tablet because the main reason I bought the note 2 was because it's a phablet. But the more I get to use the iPad mini, despite its non retina screen, the premium built captured me. It was also fast on iOS 6 despite being only a dual core and 512mb ram. It's incredibly lightweight. It also had installed iMovie and Garageband. Before I knew it, I was hooked. I wanted one for myself. I was obsessed but I held myself back, the ipad mini 2 will have a retina display, more ram and better specs. I patiently waited. Come October, ipad mini 2 was announced and later released. I couldn't wait to spend my hard earned money on a 32gb model since my brother had only 16gb. It wasn't enough. As soon as it was available on kimstore, I ordered and took a leap of faith by sending almost 25k to a stranger ( I think it was via cebuana). 5 days later,my very own iPad mini 2 32gb arrived at LBC. My wife was furious, our second child was only 10 months old, how could I have spend such large money on a tablet? It doesn't even have a micro sd card slot, my wife retorted. Apple is robbing us.
    I didn't answer back to my wife, I was in a jubilant mood. iLife & iWork apps were free! I began mastering iMovie and GarageBand.
    I also bought a lot of camera and video editing apps like filmic pro, moviepro, kinematic, procamera 8, manual cam, camera +, gravie, pinnacle studio, layered, movie looks, video grade, cortex camera, nightcap pro and lots lots more. I was already used to my wife angry seeing the purchases in our bill.
    I also bought cinema fx for my note 2 but it seem inferior and lacking compared to filmic pro or moviepro app. Fast forward to 2015, I decided to give iPhone another try, I got a 5s.
    120fps slow motion was great though 8mp camera was showing its age. It was a tiny phone that's beautifully built and the battery life was terrible. It wouldn't even last me half a day.
    I still wonder how it lasted a year with me, I sold it in 2016.
    Meanwhile, I was already discontent with iMovie on my ipad mini. It was lacking, I wanted more. I wanted to color correct, color grade, better transitions, better frame rate control, green screen luma keying etcetera etcetera. That's when I started setting my sights on buying a MacBook for video editing. iMovie for Mac would be free too but soon I realized, maybe it's time for me to go to the next level perhaps? Time for me to test out Final Cut Pro X? Adobe Premier really didn't appeal to me, I did not want another subscription on my bill to pay every month, so final cut seemed the logical choice.
    Again I was obsessed. Just October last year, my loan was approved, the amount i will not disclose :) . I bought a base model of MacBook 2015, brand new at a discounted price. I'm still learning Final Cut Pro X and I've never touched iMovie for Mac. Attached is a screen shot of some of my favorite apps on my iPad mini.
    Lastly, up to this day, my wife never misses to nag why we bought a very expensive macbook were we could've bought a cheaper windows laptop with better specs. Now I'm better trained to take it all in, one ear in, another ear out. (y)

Attached Files:

#143 markandapps, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    jbfirefly likes this.
  4. markandapps

markandapps Member

Wives are tough negotiators especially when it comes to money. Begging is not unmanly sir. It's a noble act. I am not sarcastic.

Sunil_K likes this.
  5. noobstoreph

noobstoreph New Member

Until I built a team of software developers and graphic designers. My biz partner and I have invested for our team of developers and designers to use Apple MacBook Pro specifically the 2012 edition.

6. MutlyPH

MutlyPH New Member

It was Jan 1984, I was using a Apple IIe, the computer store just received the first 128k mac bought it and been using macs ever since... ;)

7. webcoderph

webcoderph New Member

My first macbook was the aluminum version. It took me 4 years to have it, because i need to graduate from college first. Its my graduation gift from my parents.
    Now, im using my macbook air that i bought last 2 years ago. It took 6 years before i bought a new macbook. Since then i never tried any other laptop brands.

8. ma5te12m1nd

ma5te12m1nd Active Member

About 2 years after I started working.

It was in early 2013 when I bought a maxed out 13" MBP mid-2012 (still using it) :)

Applied a personal loan from BPI and just added what was left from my 13th month bonus.

RIP Kimstore :p

9. roxannesanjose

roxannesanjose New Member

My dad gave me an iMac and Macbook Air on 2011.

The same day Power Mac Service Center told me my Macbook Air cannot be replaced with new parts due to the model so I bought a 13" Macbook Pro Touch Bar.

10. mikautada

mikautada Member

got a macbook 2015 last year thanks to the BTB open box sale, but i have had iphones(4s and 6s) and ipads(ipad 2 and mini retina) before. will upgrade to a macbook pro next year if i get another good deal from a BTB sale. :)

11. zigjag

zigjag New Member

Took me two years to save up. I bought a second hand MBP 13" - 2015. Just bought it last year. So far so good. The only problem is the previous apps that were purchased from the owner's apple ID cannot be transferred. So I had to buy the new apps (like keynote, pages, etc). Some of them I kept but is not updated anymore cause I can't update it unless I buy it.

12. feaRLesS

feaRLesS Member

It took me three years. The year was 2008 when I got my first Apple product -- an iPod Touch (2nd gen). I was browsing through the Apple website for other products and read about the MacBook line. I was impressed with its built, performance, and the amount of people who swear by it. I was a college sophomore then, who only had a netbook and couldn't afford a machine with a hefty price tag. I started working in February 2011 and promised myself that I'd get a MacBook Pro on my birthday (September 30th), and so I did. I saved Php10k of my pay every month so when my birthday came around, I had enough for an entry level MacBook Pro. I haven't gone back to Windows since then. Five years later, I gave my MBP to my mom and got the top of the line 13" MBA. I'm also planning on getting a 21" iMac when its refresh comes out. :)

13. ZeroCool

ZeroCool Active Member

Been an iPhone user since iPhone 2G.. But I only converted from windows to Mac last 2012 because my younger brother is not happy with his MacBook Pro 13inch Mid 2009 (given to him by my father who is working in Singapore at that time). As a kuya, i offered him a swap to my ASUS gaming laptop (he likes gaming laptop obviously). At first, I was not very happy because apps are too limited and I'm not very familiar to the shortcut keys. That's when I joined PhilMUG and learn every bit of their is to learn about OSX and MacBooks.

14. roland28

roland28 Member

Purchased MacBook after 6 years of working ;)

15. onyx

onyx New Member

We're at the mall when I asked my sister if she can get one for me as xmas gift

rMBP mid2014 128gb

16. h2obaby

h2obaby Active Member

Six years after my first iPhone, I convinced myself that it's finally time to learn Xcode. It also took a couple hundred dollar-discount for me to crack. I now own a 2017 MBP 13" 256GB. :)

Sunil_K likes this.
  17. Leeger

Leeger Member

I just bought my first Mac (Macbook Pro) yesterday! My first apple device ever. Hehe

marvin_net likes this.
  18. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

As soon as I had the money to afford it. :p:p:p That was 2012.

19. cyberathlete

cyberathlete Active Member

When they started using Intel processors

20. Edelheid

Edelheid Well-Known Member

Some time during my uni days, I got exceedingly tired of carrying a big-ass heavy laptop everyday and ran to PMC to get the smaller MacBook Air immediately following my last schedule that day. (This was before switching to the 13-inch about a year later.)

In retrospect, that was likely to be among my best decisions to date. :p If it happened today, I’d be getting the iPad Pro instead. It would’ve been the perfect tool for my tasks back then. In most healthcare setting, the iPad is even the perfect go-around tool for holding patient records and to help illustrate to patients. It’s one of the main reasons for my ownership of an iPad other than media consumption.

Qin Zhi likes this.