How long did it take you to get a Mac?

Discussion in 'AppleTalk' started by jedazzy, May 13, 2011.

1. jedazzy

jedazzy Member

Hi guys,

I want to share my experience before getting a Mac -

Back in 2004, I worked in the head office of a local retail store. When our company started to sell Macs, that was the time when I aspired in getting one. But my apprehensions were the price (too damn expensive for my salary band!), Excel and Word compatibilities and the perception that getting to know a new OS is such a hassle! So everytime I do my fieldwork in the store, I spend about 5-10 minutes just playing on the store's Mac display - getting to know the System Preferences, browsing on Safari, trying out the MS Office for Mac, etc.

Until one day in the office, my PC got a virus (three times in 1 month!), crashed and I had to reformat (three times din!). I got fed up and got a Mac from our store for 12 months salary deduction- approved by HR of course :).

I guess it took me about 6-8 months to decide before biting the Apple :)

How about you: how long did it take you to get a Mac? What are the considerations that a potential buyer have? How can you shorten the decision process?

2. raychmd

raychmd Member

I was the new kid on the block and almost everybody owns a mac... took me 8 months to realize the beauty and wiseness of their ways...

3. pels_17

pels_17 Well-Known Member

It took me 4 months after i joined PhilMUG, got myself an MBA 11.6" last October 2010 then upgraded to an MBP 13" (2010) last December.

4. trasherk

trasherk Member

2009. My father and I mutually agreed to get me a laptop, and at that same day, happened to pass by the iStore here in Cebu. Knowing I was into graphic design and such, he asked,'Why not a Mac?'. WHY NOT A MAC?! :)

... first convert in our family. never looked back. :))

5. guwapito

guwapito Well-Known Member

mac user since 2005 here, i switched to my first ever mac mini when my boss told me that mac can do a sys admin's job. i sold my palm and added a few thousand more to get a mouse and a keyboard. after that, i used mac as my main workstation with my old windows rig as the backup...especially when leopard came out with tabbed terminal app.

to answer the thread starter's question, it took me a month to switch

6. merlthepearl

merlthepearl Member

I actually started on a mac because the sub editing course i took in germany had macs for editing and laying out newspaper pages. But back home everyone was using windows in the newsroom so i abandoned macs for many, many years until in 2008 when i bought a used ibook from a philmugger to reacquaint myself with iOS. Now i have an 11 inch MBA as my portable and an Imac as desktop. But i still use windows once in a while :)

7. iDave

iDave Active Member

I "hated" Macs before. Told myself: "I don't like the OS, it's so complicated and I can't even install a lot of games" (Sorry, I was a kid) untl about a year ago, my aunt told me she'd buy me a laptop, and then her friend suggested a Macbook Pro, I gladly accepted and here I am now :).

Oh yeah, I sold my PC after a few months of having my Macbook Pro, and then I bought an iPod, iPhone, and iPad.

8. jedazzy

jedazzy Member

Wow, these are all good inputs!

What were your apprehensions before?

I see for iDave it was the OS and the games.

Keep 'em coming! :)

9. Seven Leaves

Seven Leaves Member

Haha, great question!

At first I was very resistant to Macs. That was back in 2008. I was a Windows user my whole life and found doing Photoshop and illustrator work on PCs was more then adequate. My sister however was a diehard Mac user and a little crazy for Apple. I don't know where she got it but I remember that she likes white things and ended up with an iBook! She loved it so much that she would pester me everyday to get a Mac!

I was resistant for many years until I experience several virus attacks on my laptop PC which claimed my hard work. Yes I had backup but my most recent work was gone. I heard that Macs have less viruses and less problems so I asked my family for a Mac for my way due high school graduation gift. They gave me an iMac! I loved it so much that later on I decided to save up and get myself a Macbook Air!

10. zildjansg

zildjansg Active Member

+1 PC always had this virus and keep on crashing..then a cousin from Chicago bring along with him his iBook 1.33ghz G4 in Dec 2005, gave his own product "demo" about apple and mac. February the next year, I got my iBook (even if I really don't know how to used it,hehe).up until now, my iBook is still kickn a**. So about 2-3 months,hahaha

11. iDave

iDave Active Member

Yeah, games were an issue when I was a little kid but now that I have more important priorities, Mac is the way to go.

What I liked/like about the Mac is it's very organized, easy to work with, doesnt get viruses (well, not as much as the PC), and classy.

I guess I'm officially an Apple fan boy.

12. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

It took me less than a month.

It was 2004. Yep, before the iPhone and back when people gave you quizzical looks when you brought a Mac to a Starbucks. I had a feeling my old Compaq laptop was nearing its end and by then, I was also already unhappy with Windows. Blue screen of death, virus threats, sluggishness, you name it. I also never had a PC laptop last more than 3 years on me.

I did some online research and paid a visit to Power Mac Center at their store in Greenbelt 1 (near the cinemas) for a hands-on demo. By then, I was already set to buy a Mac but figured, I'll give myself a few more weeks, maybe a month, to think it over.

Less than a week later, I had another Blue Screen. About a week after addressing said issue, my Compaq wouldn't boot anymore. It just entered its third year.

The week after that, I was unboxing my first Mac -- a 15" PowerBook G4. Seven years later, that G4 is still in excellent working condition. (though I've upgraded to a new MBP due to my needs)

I never looked back. I remember my chef telling me back in 2004, "You switched to the Mac? That's probably the dumbest thing you ever did. Nobody uses a Mac! I'll bet you'll go back to Windows within a few months."

I didn't, of course. A year later, that chef switched to the Mac (with a little convincing from me). He now has an iMac at home, an iMac in his office, a MBP, Time Capsule, all generations of the iPhone, and an iPad. ;)

13. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

i fell in love with the iPod in 2003. that led me to the world of Apple, got an iBook in 2004. I'm on my 4th Mac now (3 of which I still use). around 10 iPods, an iPad, iPhone & a bunch of other Apple branded accessories & apps.

14. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan Well-Known Member

I got my very first Mac in 1993-1995 (haha been a while) when I was a high school student. My dad gave me his old Powerbook 170 (it even had a black and white screen!). Back then I was so accustomed hand writing my reports and homework that I only started to learn how to use my Powerbook seriously three months later when our teacher required all reports to be type written. Once I learned all the neat stuff you can do on Claris Works (the great grand dad of iWorks!) such as professional looking layouts, cool formatting and cool clip art - I was hooked. :)

I'm sure some of the veteran Mac users will be familiar with this. :)

[​IMG]

Once I totally learned how to use my Mac and do a lot of neat stuff with it. I realized one thing, unlike my classmates who are either stuck with their typewriters or big desktop PCs, with my Powerbook, I can work anywhere I want. this concept was mind blowing for a young 15 year old high school student back in 1995.

#14 Salaryman Ryan, May 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
    happosai likes this.
  15. xthine

xthine PhilMUG Addict Member

Says in my stats I joined Philmug: 10-16-2005.

Bought my first Mac (Late 2010 MBA 11") April 2011.

:)

16. Jinyi

Jinyi New Member

still confused which mac to get
    been testing them since 2006 lol

17. pissedsingleton

in August 2010, it was my first time to use a mac because my good friend owned one.. since then, i knew in my HEART that i wanted one.... i bought my very first MBP in November 2010..so that's almost 3 months....

18. coolpix32

coolpix32 Active Member

I'm a relatively new Mac user...three years as of this post. I was first made aware of a Mac back in 1998 when two my classmates in MBA school, one a Windows advocate and the other a Mac, would debate endlessly about each other's technologies of choice. Back then, it was still Windows for me.

Fast forward to January 2008, I was now in the market for a new laptop while jump starting a career as a training consultant. Windows was offering their buggy Vista at the time and with horror stories I've been reading and hearing I just didn't want to spend on a flashy new hardware with a crummy OS. While walking around a mall, I saw a mini seminar being set-up and curiosity led me discover that elegant piece of hardware. It was a Mac. I did my research, played with it, and discovered it's function and beauty (not to mention pogi points I get when conducting seminars).

And so begun my romance with a Mac (and Apple at that) and I see us being together until forever. ;)

19. xxxjanxxx2

xxxjanxxx2 Member

that takes a great deal of patience...

just a little more and you'll beat the guy/gal above. :D

20. pctan1584

pctan1584 Well-Known Member

Played with the Apple II during my college days early 80's, played with the original Mac when first launched, was in California at that time. Finally got my first mac (mac mini) 2005, then a MBP, MBA, an IMAC and another MBP last year.