How can I upgrade to El Capitan without MacStore?

Discussion in 'El Capitan (10.11)' started by Louis Ilo, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Louis Ilo

Louis Ilo New Member

I'm actually thinking of download the update via external links,servers etc. Our Internet Service caps us and leaving us with atleast 100kbps of internet (download and upload speed combined) PLDT. So any external links?

2. Jsnc

Jsnc Active Member

Did I understand the question right? You want to download the update but having problem with your internet connection, being capped.
    Have someone download the update and put it in a flash drive.

Louis Ilo likes this.
  3. Louis Ilo

Louis Ilo New Member

Yeah. (btw I'm sorry for my bad english. I really hate speaking in english :p) Just like this. The download failed and I need to download it all over again. Uhm. How can I do that.

Attached Files:

4. loudsound

loudsound Active Member

As Jsnc mentioned, you can ask someone to download the installer it from you or borrow the installer if they haven't deleted it yet. I also have slow connection at home so I just borrowed the installer from a relative.

Louis Ilo likes this.
  5. guwapito

guwapito Well-Known Member

correct me if i'm wrong but you are saying that PLDT is your service provider and you are capped? I don't think their fixed line is capped.

To answer your question:

you could ask someone to create a bootdisk for you, I can make you one but you're too far from me :(

6. Louis Ilo

Louis Ilo New Member

I also think of that but in the whole bunch of friends that i have. I'm the only mac user. (a bit lucky lol) we only have 3mbps of combined download and upload speed (then divide it into 4 users) ugh. Where do you live sir?

7. Louis Ilo

Louis Ilo New Member

How can i have a link of that t()rr3n7? Is it genuine?

8. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

^ Sorry I don't think discussions about "that" is prohibited here. I suggest you do your own search through google. ;)

#8 makintosh, Nov 18, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  9. Louis Ilo

Louis Ilo New Member

I'm sorry. Newbie heree

10. Louis Ilo

Louis Ilo New Member

I have an update here. It sized 5.66 Gb. A bit lower than what mac store is showing which is 6.17Gb. How can I assure that it's complete? Can it damage my mac when i use this ElCapitan update?

11. shootertwist

shootertwist Well-Known Member

i'd suggest you use the official sources, better safe than sorry, especially its free anyway.

12. Louis Ilo

Louis Ilo New Member

I can't download the file from the mac store It stucks and fails. Not like this one that I'm downloading. Btw they say I can confirm it if its genuine by checking the SH1 Fingerprints.

13. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

Discussions on / Links to illegal torrent downloads are prohibited here, folks.

14. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 Well-Known Member

You can try coffee shops that have wifi and if you get lucky they have a fast wifi you may only need to buy one cup of coffee :D

15. Louis Ilo

Louis Ilo New Member

Sorry again sir.

16. Louis Ilo

Louis Ilo New Member

Starbucks? oghad

17. sirbenski

sirbenski Member

Where did you buy your Macbook? Why not ask them if you can take it to their store and update it there? Haven't tried it myself but see if they're gracious enough to let you connect to their WiFi and download El Capitan. I've been to a couple of stores that sell Macs (PowerMac and Switch) and when I use their display models to browse, they generally have good connection speeds.

18. jcruze057

jcruze057 Member

I just recently bought a second hand macbook air 2013, it is no longer under warranty but looks good and almost brand new, but i need to use xamarin and xamarin only works under el capitan, do you think i can bring this to power mac/switch and ask them to upgrade it for me? How much is the fee if ever they accept the job?

19. mokmoki

mokmoki Well-Known Member

Glorietta gives you 1 hour free internet per day, but it's very very fast. you can try if 1 hour is enough to download the 6gb installer. otherwise, you really have to ask someone to download it for you.

and i won't trust anything other than the official installer file from the Mac App Store. it's an operating system, you shouldn't install anything even with the slightest chance of it being compromised.

edit: i just noticed that this was already an old thread haha. TS is probably already updated to El Cap by now, sorry for the delayed reply. haha. :p

20. jcruze057

jcruze057 Member

I am also having the same issue. The download link is not working.