Horrible experience with Apple Singapore|Tech/Warranty issues

Discussion in 'AppleTalk' started by romuald.samar, Sep 6, 2016.

1. romuald.samar

romuald.samar New Member

Hi Everyone,

I would like to share my experience recently with apple singapore. I own a Macbook air 2015|8GB|256GB. Sometime in July this year, my unit started having intermittent issues. The intermittent issues I experienced were the following:

1. Doesn't turn on
    2. when turned on, apple chimes play in the backround. However, no apple logo appears/black screen/doesn't go to the log on screen/
    3. Unit freezes on the log on screen
    4. Blinking folder with a question mark
    5. Blinking vertical dashes on the left screen (happened once)
    6. Distorted display (randomly appears)

These issues get resolve whenever I do SMC reset or let the computer sit (off) for 10 minutes, sometimes 24 hours.

When the first problem occurred, I immediately went to Power Mac to have my unit tested. for some reason the unit was working fine when I arrived at the store. They did a PRAM reset, and somehow the issue "got fixed" temporarily for a couple of days.

When the issue reoccured while I was on a business trip, I started documenting the issues by video recording it so that it would be easy for technicians to troubleshoot it. I sought help as well on apple communities about my issue coz I didn't want to send my unit for repair. On the trip, I decided to have my unit checked at power mac Cebu. The device had a blinking folder with a question mark at that moment. The technician plugged something to the unit to run a hardware check externally. However, the unit was completely dead.

When I flew back to Manila, I decided to send my unit for repair at Power Mac Glorietta 5 together with the videos of the issues as pieces of evidence. I was told that it would take around 5 business days for them to diagnose the issue. After a week, I called the store to get an update about the repair. I was informed that the issue was an OS issue, coz the hardware test passed and the OS test failed. They performed an OS reinstall with the unit. Thus, they were charging me Php 2000 for the OS reinstall which was something I refused to pay, so I escalated the issue to apple technical support. The senior tech support from Apple Singapore agreed to call me the following day to help me dispute the charges. I was able to get my unit with out paying the charges with the help of the tech support. Somehow, I doubted the diagnosis. The senior tech support agent (from Apple SG) promised to assist me should the problem reoccurs.

True enough, a week later, same problems reoccured. I was really furious. I documented the issues that reoccured (video recorded). I sent the senior tech support from apple SG an email, but I didn't hear anything from her. Called apple SG again and complained about the issues. My case got escalated to a customer care officer. The CCO (customer care officer) told me that the unit had to be resubmitted for proper diagnosis/repair. Initially, I refused to resubmit my unit to PowerMac coz they misdiagnosed the issue. I explained that I didn't have any issue sending my mac for repair initially, and if they had diagnosed it correctly, the unit would have been half-way thru the repair process (at that moment). The CCO was able to convince me somehow to submit my unit to SWITCH instead of POWERMAC. However, I was told by the CCO that a replacement/repair request can't be processed if the issue can't be replicated. This is despite the videos recorded as proofs.

I was really furious coz the CCO from apple SG couldn't guarantee repair nor unit replacement unless the issue has been replicated. I explained that the OS has already been isolated as a possible issue source so it could be a hardware issue. I told him as well that I didn't use my time machine to transfer my files to the unit. I explained that their repair policy is so unfair.

I was really desperate to seek help so I called Apple U.S.A. .. The case was escalated to a senior tech guy in the U.S. . He explained that the issues were obviously difficult to diagnose, and it had been re occuring since July. He said that If he were the tech guy, he would force-repair or perhaps recommend unit replacement. Unfortunately, he couldn't help me at that moment coz the case is owned my CCO in Apple SG. He sought help from a CCO in the U.S.A., and unfortunately, the CCO couldn't do anything about case either coz of the case ownership. The american senior tech guy said that a possible work around for my issue was to send my macbook air to the U.S.

As of the moment, I'm still waiting for the CCO from Apple SG to provide me a resolution.

P.S.

I apologise for the long letter/paragraph

2. kutsaratinidor

kutsaratinidor Active Member

Welcome to Philmug

Did you bring your unit to Switch? I don't want to discredit Power Mac or anything, but they sort of botched their supposed role as an Apple Authorized Service Provider. 5 days with the unit and they missed the issue? Though it could really be an intermittent issue and harder to replicate but they billed you for something I think should not have any cost at all because the unit is still in warranty right?

Our experience with Switch is considerably better, Wifi crash issue, replacement unit came but it had issue as well. They replaced it immediately but the replacement unit had another issue came out as well around the time the warranty ended. We thought we had no chance to get it fixed, but given that it was the 2nd time we reported it to them. They made a replacement order for one last time. The only trouble is waiting for the unit to arrive because it was coming in from SG. The turn-around time is the main issue which I think is normal given logistics and all. But I would suggest that you bring your unit to Switch and have it checked and diagnosed properly. Once they replicate the issue, replacement/repair request will be handled better.

Cant really blame the CCO for not being able to guarantee the repair/replacement without the issue replicated and documented. Its part of their protocol.

Hope it all gets sorted out. Good luck

3. Adarna

Adarna Active Member

4. attitude1

attitude1 New Member

circuit board problem and memory.

5. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Creepy...and not a single update since then...well until last Sep 6...

6. markandapps

markandapps Member

Sir I really hope this one is already solved. Anyway, just to lighten up your day, try watching some Louis Rossmann videos on YouTube. His videos are helpful and insightful. And also, his rant specialty usually directly against Apple is pure gold. :)

7. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

While the long lurking is noted, it really doesn't take anything away from the OP's problem, which is pretty recent. I hope it was resolved.