HomePod

Discussion in 'Apple Accessories & Peripherals' started by warmgreentea, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Leeger

Leeger Active Member

I’m pretty sure it would work with spotify via airplay. I even saw a video where spotify would work with voice commands like skip song, prev track, etc.

2. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

I think if you're invested with Apple, you could give Apple Music a go. I still hate their algo and general UI but you can't go wrong with smooth integration.

199 for 6-person family is quite a steal (although the way it is set up is quite a hassle). 3 months free.

Also, you can AirPlay any music app to the HomePod though it's a glorified siri speaker with AirPlay capability.

3. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

Yup it actually works with any music service if you will use airplay to beam it, what it doesnt work is having the homepod play spotify by itself, since only apple music can be played internally... in my case i have both spotify and apple music so will give it a go... also have tidal actually free on hifi subscription for 6 mos so will also give that one a go via airplay... my homepod has arrived at my friend’s house in new york, should take about a week before it gets here, excited to hear it in person after all those reviews raving for its sound quality, as far as siri, she’ll have to contend with having alexa by her side for now hehe

rdy0329 likes this.
  4. rdy0329

Just authorized ShippingCart to forward my package. Hoping for that 4-5 day turnaround I experienced last January and Oct 2017.

Unexpected 4k though (along with some other items kasi).

5. Edelheid

Edelheid Well-Known Member

My HomePod arrived yesterday. A quick first impression: just wow, this small (and I still haven't gotten over how little it actually is, it's only slightly taller than my iPhone) speaker packs a serious punch and makes it feel like I'm wearing headphones anywhere in the room. The bass is there, the clarity, the audio it produces is super crisp. And this is only a single HomePod at the edge of my living room. I'm going absolutely bonkers over here with how astoundingly good it sounds. It helps that I never really had a good home stereo system prior. I'm by no means an audiophile so there is no comparison from me, but I think anyone who never really invested in good speakers before will find themselves enjoying the HomePod for what it is: a crazy good speaker to play music in the background. Gotta love me some jazz.

I never really bore any serious intentions of using this thing as a voice assistant in the home, but it's surprisingly decent at it. I thought it would open up new issues where both my HomePod and iPhone picks up my voice command but surprisingly this still hasn't happened to me. The HomePod essentially assumes priority. It made me very curious if there's a function continually running behind the scenes that makes it so either devices somehow have an idea that both are present in the same room and the HomePod comes on top of the ladder to initiate Siri. The HomePod didn't have a hard time picking up my commands even coming from a different room. My only gripe is how it cannot detect your voice which makes it possible for virtually anybody to get Siri to read your stuff. So, until that's sorted out, personalised items are disabled on my HomePod. Also, interestingly, the HomePod can't access my calendar…

And finally, the part I wanted to test the most — Apple TV integration, or lack thereof. The crux is the HomePod isn't meant for home theatre. You'll benefit more from a sound bar. I mean that makes sense and should have been my assumption right from the very beginning, but a part of me thought it could do double duty reliably. While I was able to set the HomePod as the default audio output on my Apple TV, all it takes is playing any Apple Music song from my iPhone and I have to select the HomePod on my Apple TV again. I remain optimistic that a future update or perhaps AirPlay 2 can alleviate the rocky relationship between the two.

Overall, the HomePod more than impressed me. My living rooms feels alive. I actually want to order two or three and spread them around my house.

Happy unboxing to those of you that ordered the HomePod! :)

#65 Edelheid, Feb 10, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    Anmi, shootertwist, raypin and 2 others like this.
  6. mree

mree Active Member

Here we go again, muggers. Threads like this should be closed! Too much temptations! Hahaha. Congrats on the new purchase!

greta87 and LeoCastillo like this.
  7. Leeger

Leeger Active Member

watching and reading reviews of Homepod, it's obvious Homepod is an unfinished product (at least on the software side). While most are calling it the best sounding smart speaker out there, I don't think it's $150 better than the Sonos One.

8. nwinter

nwinter Member

I think if you're in the Apple ecosystem and you use Apple Music a lot, and you can afford $350, there's no reason why you shouldn't get the Homepod despite its existing limitations.

raypin likes this.
  9. shootertwist

If its the best out there for a smart speaker then its already an upgrade, i for one cant bear the sound of my amazon echo that its constantly connected to my bose soundlink revolve+. Sound quality is always a YMMV, you read this always in any audio review on headfi.org and other audiophile groups and forums etc since what may sound good to you may not sound good to me and vice versa. Hence the fact that HomePod has been hailed by majority already as a great sounding speaker is already a win in itself, now is it $150 better? That’s ymmv, and if you can afford it, why settle for anything less... apple isnt in the business of having “budget friendly” products or bang for the buck items, they go for the best (in this case best sound as per reviews as far as smart speaker category is concerned), as long as you are willing to pay for it... the good thing is we all have choices, good, better, best.

#69 shootertwist, Feb 11, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  10. Leeger

Leeger Active Member

I’ll reserve my final judgement once I get to experience homepod personally. I’m not rich enough to buy something just because I can afford it.

abielbad likes this.
  11. dasaint

dasaint Well-Known Member

After reading and watching the reviews its a pass for me.

12. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Some articles from The Verge

The HomePod is the point of no return for Apple fans | The Verge

Apple will repair a damaged HomePod cable for $29 | The Verge

shootertwist likes this.
  13. King

King Active Member

Phil Schiller tweeted this review from reddit.

It may sound awesome but Siri needs work and it really should be more open to allow Amazon Prime and Spotify to work on it.

14. shootertwist

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/02/12/homepod-audiophile-review-standing-ovation/

Taken from the link where the audiophile tester said the homepod sounded better than a $999 speaker:

“I am speechless. The HomePod actually sounds better than the KEF X300A. If you're new to the Audiophile world, KEF is a very well respected and much loved speaker company. I actually deleted my very first measurements and re-checked everything because they were so good, I thought I'd made an error. Apple has managed to extract peak performance from a pint sized speaker, a feat that deserves a standing ovation. The HomePod is 100% an Audiophile grade Speaker.”

raypin likes this.
  15. ment

ment Member

my spotify is free kasi :) courtesy of my wife's account with a Canada Carrier

16. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...how is the bass?

17. Sir iAco

Sir iAco Well-Known Member

The Apple HomePod Sounds Good, but Other Smart Speakers Sound Better

In CR audio testing, Google Home Max and Sonos One come out ahead

consumerreports.org

18. rdy0329

The more reason it wont hurt to get a Family Subscription (no conflict on who'll take money from your wallet). /heh

My HomePod might arrive tomorrow (Valentine's). I guess I need to prepare for my date.

#78 rdy0329, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  19. doblezeta

doblezeta Active Member

Just got mine. Haven’t fully tested the music part yet as I didn’t want to wake up the kids, but initial impression is that even just whispering to turn on lights (via HomeKit) works. No need to shout at the HomePod. :)

Attached Files:

arjaysalting, denzzurcaled and raypin like this.
  20. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

There’s a Homepod in my daughter’s home that isn’t getting any uptime...seems the HP would engage in scattered conversations then stay silent all day long...tried tweaking the settings but it still stayed as disinterested as a sleeping sloth...

Think it’s just waiting, and watching...