Home DSL setup questions

Discussion in 'Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express' started by whitemug, Mar 14, 2014.

1. airmax32

airmax32 Member

It depends on how you're gonna use that modem/router. If you're just gonna the basics like surfing the net, email etc. You can stick with that modem/router. If you're into gaming, watching hd videos, downloading stuff on the net. You're better off getting a much better router. Even here in the US i opted for a stand alone modem. So I could buy a router that would work well with my devices.

2. airmax32

airmax32 Member

just put it into bridge mode

3. JohnnyT

JohnnyT Member

If you will apply for fiber, I suggest buy a third party wireless router.

I do recommend the Linksys EA6900.

I just upgraded my dsl to a fiber line.

Since you are spending more money on the fiber better buy a value for money wi fi router.

You can do a lot of things having a third party wifi router such as media prioritization, parental control, guest access, u can do remote access, stream video, online gaming, and a lot more.

4. whitemug

whitemug Member

i guess the router they've got bundled isnt much?

how much does that router you recommended go for, and where's the best place to get it? and its great that i can do much more if i go in that direction, buti hope it also provides me with info on how i can setup all those things you just mentioned

thanks!

5. teamjm

teamjm Well-Known Member

6. whitemug

whitemug Member

unfortunately, i found out today that pldt does not yet have any fibr infrastructure set up in our area. at least the decision between either dsl or fibr was made for me.

so now that i'm going dsl, how about some reminders or tips that you may have, perhaps during the application (which is all online), and perhaps the preparations i need to do before the installation, and even while the hardware (and software?) is being installed?

7. ailes

ailes Active Member

How did you disabled the PLDT settings and have it on bridge mode?

8. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Configuration is slightly diff depending on provided modem. I had the ZyXel one. If you're not familiar with bridge mode, turning off the built-in wifi will suffice. Just make sure the IP address of your 3rd party wifi router is different from PLDT's (192.168.1.1)

If you are on fiber, bridge mode is configured on PLDT's side. You have to give them a call + it's a hit or miss since some operators are either clueless or would not allow such request.

If you don't have CCTV, Remote desktop or NAS, just follow the disable wifi process to lessen interference.

Roman likes this.