Help. Lost Macbookpro here in HK.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fliptrix27, Jan 13, 2018.

1. fliptrix27

fliptrix27 Member

Guys need your help and suggestion. My fiance lost her macbookpro tonight here at Hongkong. Her bag was taken inside the bus. Is there anyway to find or track that using find my iphone application. Do I need to go to apple service here in HK? Where in HK? Thanks in advance.

2. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...your fiance needs to access her icloud account to track her lost MacBook Pro from an iPhone or iPad or another Mac. If she has Android, she can access icloud.com from Chrome but she needs to request desktop site to properly load icloud.com. From icloud, she can begin tracking the MacBook Pro. The problem though is if your fiance had two-factor authentication turned on. She needs the 6 digit code (to be given through her registered cell number).

Apple Store locations:

https://www.apple.com/hk/en/retail/storelist/9

#2 raypin, Jan 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  3. fliptrix27

fliptrix27 Member

Thank you so much Raypin for your reply. Will ask her if she had a two-factor authentication code.

4. raypin

Mm...if you wish to take the extra step, contact HK police.

https://www.police.gov.hk/ppp_en/contact_us.html#hotlines

Maybe the bus you took has CCTV camera. Give them the relevant details including bus name, number, route and the time frame when the theft occured. Of course, if your MBP is trackable now, it will be very helpful to them.

ronjet likes this.
  5. ronjet

ronjet PhilMUG Addict Member

Yeah, ask help from the authorities and hope they can do something about it especially if they can ask the recorded cctv footage from the bus. I don’t know how approachable and helpful they are. Hope you can still track and recover that MBP.

6. raypin

7. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Well-Known Member

Yikes. People (including me) who take that bus that leads to and from the airport, generally just leave their luggages at the luggage rack at sit at the upper deck thinking that their belongings are perfectly safe as they can "watch over" their belongings from a screen on the upper deck which displays the CCTV footage of said luggage rack taken from two directions. It's possible that thieves must have noticed that passengers on the upper deck generally do not maintain their eyes on the screen, as they're often distracted with the good view at that deck.

In any case, to avoid theft, it's best not to leave in that luggage rack laptops and other highly portable bags/luggage. And if you're luggage, though huge, happens to be very expensive, just stay at that lower level of the bus so you can keep an eye on it.

ronjet likes this.
  8. raypin

Mm...better safe than sorry.

ronjet likes this.
  9. ronjet

ronjet PhilMUG Addict Member

There are times that I just feel the I want to have a view at the upper deck. I’m guilty also of leaving our luggage and go upstairs and just view it at the screen and hoping no one gets it.