Help! 2010 Macbook Pro wifi problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cosmicadobo, Oct 3, 2013.

1. cosmicadobo

cosmicadobo New Member

Hello Guys! I was routinely using my mbp when suddenly the wifi turned off. Now I can't turn it on. I tried several fixes I found online but nothing seems to work. The wifi icon on the taskbar says "hardware not installed". Has anybody experienced this error? I'm using a 13" mid 2010 macbook pro running mountain lion. Thanks!

2. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

you need to buy a new airport card and replace it..

3. loudsound

loudsound Well-Known Member

I'll just reuse this thread from 3 years ago since I have the same model and problem. This has happened already 3 years ago and it happened again yesterday. I already went to BTB in Greenhills and unfortunately, there's no available part anymore to have the hardware replaced. Questions:

1. Does a shop outside of Apple resellers capable of checking the problem of my Mac? Any idea how much this can cost?
    2. Is there a wifi adapter available locally and is compatible to the Mac and OS X like this one from Amazon? If yes, where can I buy one? Any brand will do as long as its compatible.

4. jerrychu

jerrychu Member

I have the same model, and have the same problem. I called up Ynzal and they have stock of the wifi card, but a bit pricey. I just bought a Tplink Archer T2U which I am using now.

loudsound likes this.
  5. loudsound

Thanks for the info jerrychu. If I may ask, how much is the price of the wifi card in Ynzal? Is Tplink Archer T2U available locally? Where did you bought it?

6. jerrychu

jerrychu Member

Ynzal quoted around 5-6K for the parts and labor. Tplink bought it in Gilmore around 1.2k.

loudsound likes this.
  7. loudsound

Thanks for this, will check it out in the coming weekend.

8. loudsound

Finally bought a wifi adapter for my Mac :) Here's the link to TP Link's site for reference. The adapter's driver can be downloaded from TP Link since the box only supports until OS X 10.10. After installation, it will also add a utility available on the menu bar where you can turn on or off the device. If you have turned Dark mode on, switch to Light mode so that you can see it (learned this the hard way, haha). I was able to buy this in Greenhills, the store is in front of Datablitz. I also saw this in Complink in Galleria, I think its just beside Beyond the Box. All in all, the adapter functions good except probably for the wifi syncing of iOS devices when its too far from the Mac. Highly recommended piece of accessory when your Mac is already "vintage" like mine :) Oh, and this only costs 800 pesos :D

PatrickGaerlan likes this.
  9. sabela

sabela Member

I had the same problem a while back and I just want to add to this, in case it might be helpful to others.

I have a mid-2009 MBP and this problem of "Wi-Fi: No Hardware Installed" started a few months ago. I thought it would go away after a few tries of shutting it down and turning it back on but it didn't. After some procrastinating and fruitless internet researching, I finally decided to bring my MBP to Ynzal. The tech who worked on my MBP replaced my airport card, replaced my hard drive with one that has bigger storage, and updated my OS to El Capitan. It cost around P10K but it was well worth it and my MBP got a second lease on life.

10. VicB

VicB Well-Known Member

I would recommend this wifi adapter/dongle (http://www.lazada.com.ph/edup-ep-ac1601-dual-band-usb30-wi-fi-adapter-ah132-intl-5068634.html) for those whose built-in wifi has become problematic. The built-in wifi for my MacPro was giving me problems similar to what's mentioned here.

The adapter (mentioned above) I bought was actually on sale in Amazon. It seems that Lazada is selling it at a cheaper price. It connects to a a USB 3.0 port. It can also be connected to a USB 2.0 port but may result in a slower speed.

11. morrissey_05

morrissey_05 Member

Hi there. Can anyone update this re a good wifi adapter/dongle that supports Mac and OSX 10.13?
    Thanks.

12. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Active Member