GPS apps

Discussion in 'iOS & iOS Apps' started by koyut, Dec 8, 2011.

1. rixxer

rixxer New Member

im using waze as well, so far im liking it.

2. mojako

mojako Member

does waze have offline maps?

3. squall101403

squall101403 Member

After using it for a while, the map scrolling suddenly became smooth. Just a question, are there any route options in papago, like using C5 instead of edsa?

4. ronjeremy

ronjeremy Member

waze here also!liked the updates when youre on idle or heavy traffic.And galing kasi kahit one way alam niya heehe!

5. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member

I was able to use Waze without a data connection but with GPS on. However, the maps aren't as updated as Google's. Our subdivision, for example, doesn't have all the street names yet. I was also driving into "blank" maps in an out-of-town trip to the south (Laguna, Silang, Tagaytay).

6. jepoy22

jepoy22 Member

help: i can't run waze on my ipad mini. i can't put a check on the "I agree to the Waze End Use License Agreement"
    Theres a scroll down to accept the agreement, but since mine is an ipad, i cant scroll down..
    has anyone encounter this?

7. SpydeR_AR

SpydeR_AR Member

Waze is the best! Real time updates that go with your updated maps! :D

8. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

Since the bug of google maps arrived at v1.1 (dims the screen of iPhone when you have no imminent turn), i will have to switch to a different GPS app - and i have found Waze! Very smart app with live traffic updates i.e accidents, detours, closed roads, etc. that will help you find the shortest, most efficient route possible.

Haven't used Waze yet. It has to wait later when I go home after work.

Looks very promising!

9. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Just a question for those who use their phones as GPS.

Have you tried using it for long drives? Like 8-10 hours continuous?

Does the phone get hot?

10. itaw

itaw Member

Mine gets hot even for an hour of driving i just place it at the aircon vent btw im using waze and google maps

11. robertalmario

robertalmario Member

I use Navigon here in Saudi and Sygic in Manila but Sygic is not accurate as Navigon.

12. greenarcher

greenarcher Member

Super loving Waze! It has thought of several details that others might not think of.

13. macjobber

macjobber PhilMUG Addict Member

Waze is great for areas with internet connection- great visual presentation of maps and it's very easy to zoom in and out.

And the real time traffic update is very useful.

But when you're out of 3G areas, this app is not that useful.

That's where Papago M8 Pro Philippines GPS comes very handy, it's indeed a true GPS app...

I can even use it while inside a plane, the app showed the plane's location, elevation and speed which is average 700 kph!

14. a9828

a9828 Member

has anyone used Trapster? it's an alternative to waze which is currently listed as a 'must have' phone app. any users locally?

15. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

question for Waze users...

How do I plan a trip/route?

I am presently in Singapore and I want to plan ahead before my vacation to PHL.

16. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Active Member

^I look for my destination (mall, venue for meeting, friend's house) in the map and save it as a "favorite". Then, I just press navigate, go to favorites and pick it as the destination.

I've tried using the search function (instead of "favoriting" a destination) but Waze rarely finds what I'm looking for.

So basically, its good if you know your way around and just want to use it to avoid traffic. But if you're unfamiliar with destination, a stand alone GPS works better.

But maybe the others here have tips on how to better use the search function :)

17. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

There is no way (that I know of) to save trips/routes.

But as tonedeaf mentioned, the preparation you can do is to save your potential destinations (including your home or where you plan to stay as base) as favorites. You can do this via searching and Waze will use its own search engine, or other search engines available within waze like google and bing (but strangely these options do not appear on my iphone 5 but do so on my nexus 4 and 7).

If a destination does not show up via search (the default waze search engine is not really helpful), a clunky workaround is to navigate the map to the destination, select the destination on the map and save as favorite. That assumes you know more or less where it is, or if not, you can google it to get its location. In other words, prior preparation would be best.

18. potpot2

potpot2 PhilMUG Addict Member

This is a bug of waze. Happens to me already thrice. You need to unistall and reinstall waze for the other search engine to appear

19. gaol

By the way, Google Maps just now has voice guidance Navigation for the Philippines! It's still in beta for now, though. :D

Will try it out and see if it's good enough already.

20. gaol

Ah ok, didn't know that workaround. Thanks for the heads up!